Pls help identify

• ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

This grass/reed is starting to over take one of my food plots next to a swamp.
    Any idea what it is? If so, how to I kill it? Gly does not seem to help much.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-58-18.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Glyphosate doesn’t help? When did you attempt to spray it?

I think Dave has it right, it’s horsetail. If it is, it’s a member of the fern family and you have to wait for it to “leaf out”. The stems have a wax-like coating that makes gly ineffective on young plants, but I have one low-lying area where it killed just fine in August when sprayed with gly.

From what I’ve heard, the best control of this stuff is with dedicated woody brush killers. I believe this means “Crossbow” and related generics, but check first as I have not personally read if this is an on label use or not. I’ve never had to resort to that, but you might want to look into it. Crossbow is expensive, but in your case it may be the most economical way.

Grouse

Bass_attack

Looks like river cane to me. Atleast thats what I have called it.

Bass_attack

Nevermind I think it is the horsetails after a little google research. Maybe try cutting it to kill it.

Ryan Scholl

Equisetum (Horsetail). Fun to play with for little kids. All of the sections pull apart. You can actually sand with it too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.