Pickled Northern Chowder?

• Scott Olson
    Effie, MN

I have been dabbling with pickled northern the last few years and now with the limits going up to Ten little ones in 2018 in my area, North Central Zone, what could a person do with all those little pike <22″. We can only eat so much pickled fish but was wondering if after curing them in brine and dissolving the bones could they go into a nice fish chowder? Has anyone tried something like that, have a good recipe or have other ideas for all those bony northern fillets?

bigpike

Grind them up and make pike pattys

saugeye-steve

How about throw 5 back and catch em again next week?

Sam
    St.Francis

We bake the pike and if you don’t get the bones out filleting you can pick them out then mash it up with some chopped onion, miracle whip, lemon juice, and chives then serve with crackercs. my grandma likes a chowder recipe but she is about the only one in the family that likes ut

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We bake the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>pike and if you don’t get the bones out filleting you can pick them out then mash it up with some chopped onion, miracle whip, lemon juice, and chives then serve with crackercs. my grandma likes a chowder recipe but she is about the only one in the family that likes ut

Mmm that sounds good!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How about throw 5 back and catch em again next week?

Well, the whole point of the 10-fish limit is to try to reduce the number of small pike, so throwing them back would defeat the purpose.

Regularpaul

I’ve done a fair bit of reading online about pressure canning fish and it sounds like those small pike filleted, brined a bit, smoked a bit, then canned in half-pint jars with a bit of vinegar and ketchup will make about the best beer snack a guy could ask for. That’s my plan for them!

But I’ve been dreaming a lot about it. Hopefully I’m not let down when I finally try it. )

Merry Christmas everyone!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I just pan fry mine. Butter in a very hot pan. Throw fillets in for about 1.5 to 2 minutes per side. Season with what you like. Blackened seasoning is good. Taste of India seasoning is fantastic. Salt and heavy on the pepper makes a excellent peppered pike. You want a slight burn on the fillets but do not over cook. Pike drys out fast. 2 minutes each side will well done all but very thick fillets.

As far as the bones go about 75% of the fillets is boneless. Split the top half of cooked fillet and the bones are easly exposed and removed.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1514170444176.jpg

Scott Olson
    Effie, MN

I think a minced mash of boneless or pickled pike turned into a spread or even a fish patty are some excellent ideas I am going to plan on testing. Thanks for all the comments, Merry Christmas and good luck in 2018!

craig s

Fry just like eyes or panfish!! I’ve said many times pike are underrated table fare. If the y bones are keeping you away just watch a couple YouTube videos and a few fish later you’ll have it nailed.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

The patties sound like the way to go. Never done it. Besides putting the pike fillets in the food process bone in what else does a guy do? Any seasoning or breading? I’m visualizing grinding em up coating with egg rolling around some shore lunch and into the electric fry pan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.