Pickled fish wine

• KP
    Hudson, WI

I was told that I need to make sure to add enough sugar but guess I’ll have to see how I like it. Thanks @fishthumper for sharing this recipe!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

so after waiting a couple weeks i took the jar of pickled fish out i put the lemon juice in. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!! i can taste the lemon but not over powering. i didnt measure but i’d quess 1/8 cup.

wonder if a real lemon slice would be better!!!!

robby
    Quad Cities

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Scenic wrote:</div>
    We used to use Silver Satin wine when making pickled fish but it is no longer available. What is everyone using in place of it?

This pic blasted me straight back to early High School!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was told that I need to make sure to add enough sugar but guess I’ll have to see how I like it. Thanks @fishthumper for sharing this recipe!

KP – Have you had a chance to try your batch yet? I’m curious what you thought of the sweetness.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

so after waiting a couple weeks i took the jar of pickled fish out i put the lemon juice in. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!! i can taste the lemon but not over powering. i didnt measure but i’d quess 1/8 cup.

wonder if a real lemon slice would be better!!!!

Thanks for the follow up on the Lemon. I think I’ll try and add some to my next batch. I think I will just go with a few cut up lemon slices in mine – Simple and easy !!! that’s what fun about this recipe. You can play with it and adjust it to what you like.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Yeah and it wasn’t too sweet at all but a little but over all I really like it. I think next time I’ll do a cup and see how that turns out. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yeah and it wasn’t too sweet at all but a little but over all I really like it. I think next time I’ll do a cup and see how that turns out. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

Glad you liked it. Play around with it. let us all know if you try something new and you like it.

KP
    Hudson, WI

In one jar I did add some garlic but it was minced and not whole garlic so I’ll have to try that one and let you all know. Not sure how it will taste because it was minced. Wasnt thinking when I did it because I even had whole garlic on hand.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Another batch of pickled nords using fishthumpers recipe. This time I put a lemon slice in each jar. Now to wait about 10 days

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210620_134134957-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Update… That real slice of lemon in there is really good.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Update… That real slice of lemon in there is really good.

Those look yummy. I may have to break down and keep a few pike to make a batch and try it with the lemon added. We tend to make the most in winter time. My buddy loves to catch pike on tip ups. He cleans fish and freezes them until he has enough to do a batch of 5-6 jars. Those 5 jars look like a nice batch. How many pike did it take to make those?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i cannot honesty say about that batch. there were some little fellers…..the 22 and under and the y-bones for bigger pike in that batch. i y-bone everything over 5-6 lbs.

so in the past and we go target these 22 and unders just for pickling, if i remember correctly it takes all of 10 of those 22 and unders to make 5 qts!!!!!!

i save the gallon plastic milk jugs for both making my own cooler ice AND to put fish in. i have figured out when i have 2 of those full of pike fillets, when there cut into the pickling size pieces it makes around 5 qts!!!!!

kinda funky figuring mrgreen rotflol but thats how i do it!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well another batch of Itasca county slimmers hits the brine. This time 2 lemon slices in each jar

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210828_110037056-scaled.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Glenn – Glad to see that your doing your fair share of getting some of those small snot rockets out of the lakes. I was just thinking yesterday as we keep catching tons of small pike that I should plan a day and keep a bunch of them for a batch of pickled fish. I may just do that one day yet this fall. I just finished up a jar my Buddy made last winter. They were still yummy after 7 months.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks fish thumper waytogo glad to help. We do are fair share. My brother also does it and he had smoking them down to a science.

Of course a top notch pickled fish recipe don’t hurt either. whistling waytogo

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Well another batch of Itasca county slimmers hits the brine. This time 2 lemon slices in each jar

Good job Glenn! Get those snot rockets out of my county!! They do look tasty in your jars.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Good job Glenn! Get those snot rockets out of my county!! They do look tasty in your jars.

rotflol rotflol rotflol yea but most of those came from the west side of HWY 6!!!!!!! not all but most!!!!!!!

thanks Gino!!!!!!

KP
    Hudson, WI

X2 on the whole Garlic. I used minced last winter in a jar of mine and it turned the color yellow and did not taste the greatest.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Thanks KP. Mine ready for whole garlic and the rest on Thursday. Can’t wait till done.

Baitwaster
    South metro

After reading a bunch of different recipes for pickling fish, it seems there are 2 ways to handle the brine stage. One is to brine in salt water, rinse, then straight vinegar, rinse, and pickle. The 2nd mixes the salt and vinegar in a one step brine, rinse, and pickle.

Is either of these better than the other? Or is it to keep the acidity of the vinegar high to prevent botulism? Seeing as how the salt will draw water out of the fish, not diluting the vinegar in the second.

I’ve been using a 1-step brine, and all seems fine. 2c vinegar, 1.5c water, 1c can/pickling salt.

Finishing “syrup” has 1 1/3c vinegar, 2/3 cup water, 1 2/3 sugar, and 1c white wine. Seems like it should stay acidic enough…

Also – have seen discussions about whole lemon slice or peeled lemon slice to remove the “pith” (bitter white) part of lemon. Seems in the discussion above that whole slices work fine.

Thanks!

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.