Pickled fish wine

• Scenic

We used to use Silver Satin wine when making pickled fish but it is no longer available. What is everyone using in place of it?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

When I do my crappie pickles I use a sweet white wine. It doesn’t have to be expensive, just sweet. Liquor stores almost always have a bargain brand of wine on sale including sweet whites. My last batch was done using a Chablis and they turned out great.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

We used to use Silver Satin wine when making pickled fish but it is no longer available. What is everyone using in place of it?

Attachments:
    1. 4015575E-74EC-40B7-9686-78A3A3E7E858.jpeg

Scenic

Thanks guys. Need to pick some up today.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i have used wine in previous pickled fish reciepies, but not anymore.

i think it was fishthumper????? pretty simple process no wine no heating anything…..and it ROCKS!!!!!!

Scenic

And that “simple process” is…lol

I have made it both with and without wine and have had good results both ways.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

And that “simple process” is…lol

I have made it both with and without wine and have had good results both ways.

its posted here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!! jester wave

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Here is one I’ve used for many years. I believe I posted it may 8th 2015. I don’t know how to link to that post

Cold Pickled Fish
    (Northern Pike or Other White Fish )

Note – This is a cold fish brine recipe – Do NOT use heat for any of the steps

Ingredients

Northern or other white fish. – As much as you want to make
    White vinegar
    White Sugar
    Onions ( White or Yellow )
    Pickling Salt
    Pickling spice
    Dried Red Pepper flakes
    Garlic – optional
    Hot Peppers – optional

Step 1 – Filet fish. You can leave the bones in the fillet. The bones will dissolve as it cures. Cut Fish into bite size pieces ( I like mine about 1”X1” )
    Step 2 – Loosely pack fish pieces in quart glass ( Mason ) jar. Add 5/8 cup of pickling salt to each quart jar. Fill jar with white vinegar to completely cover the fish. Rotate, spin, and gently shake jar until the salt is fully dissolved. Refrigerate jars for 5 days. Once or twice each day rotate, spin, and gently shake each jar for 1-2 minutes.
    Step 3 – At the end of the 5th day, remove fish from the jars. Rinse fish with cold water for 5 minutes and drain. Place fish in large pan with cold water and let stand for 1 Hr. Drain fish again.
    Step 4 – Return fish to quart jars laying fish and onions ( If desired ) When jar is ½ full, Add 1 ½ cup white sugar, 2 Table spoons pickling spice ( either loose or in or in tied cheese cloth ) Dash of red pepper flakes, 1 Bay leaf. Continue to layer fish and onions ( if desired) until the jar is almost full. Fill the jar with White vinegar to fully cover the fish. Rotate, spin, gently shake until sugar appears to be all or mostly dissolved.

Note – You can add other ingredients during this stage as well – such as Garlic or peppers.

Step 5 – Return jars to the refrigerator for at least 1 week for best flavor. Each day remove and rotate, spin and gently shake for 1 minute.
    Step 6 – After 1 week, eat fish as desired – Excellent with butter or saltine crackers.

Note – Store fish in refrigerator for up to 3 months ( If yours last that long )

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Here is one I’ve used for many years. I believe I posted it may 8th 2015. I don’t know how to link to that post

Cold Pickled Fish
    (Northern Pike or Other White Fish )

Note – This is a cold fish brine <nobr style=”font-size: inherit”>recipe</nobr> – Do NOT use heat for any of the steps

Ingredients

Northern or other white fish. – As much as you want to make
    White vinegar
    White Sugar
    Onions ( White or Yellow )
    Pickling Salt
    Pickling spice
    Dried Red Pepper flakes
    Garlic – optional
    Hot Peppers – optional

Step 1 – Filet fish. You can leave the bones in the fillet. The bones will dissolve as it cures. Cut Fish into bite size pieces ( I like mine about 1”X1” )
    Step 2 – Loosely pack fish pieces in quart glass ( Mason ) jar. Add 5/8 cup of pickling salt to each quart jar. Fill jar with white vinegar to completely cover the fish. Rotate, spin, and gently shake jar until the salt is fully dissolved. Refrigerate jars for 5 days. Once or twice each day rotate, spin, and gently shake each jar for 1-2 minutes.
    Step 3 – At the end of the 5th day, remove fish from the jars. Rinse fish with cold water for 5 minutes and drain. Place fish in large pan with cold water and let stand for 1 Hr. Drain fish again.
    Step 4 – Return fish to quart jars laying fish and onions ( If desired ) When jar is ½ full, Add 1 ½ cup white sugar, 2 Table spoons pickling spice ( either loose or in or in tied cheese cloth ) Dash of red pepper flakes, 1 Bay leaf. Continue to layer fish and onions ( if desired) until the jar is almost full. Fill the jar with White vinegar to fully cover the fish. Rotate, spin, gently shake until sugar appears to be all or mostly dissolved.

Note – You can add other ingredients during this stage as well – such as Garlic or peppers.

Step 5 – Return jars to the refrigerator for at least 1 week for best flavor. Each day remove and rotate, spin and gently shake for 1 minute.
    Step 6 – After 1 week, eat fish as desired – Excellent with butter or saltine crackers.

Note – Store fish in refrigerator for up to 3 months ( If yours last that long )

yeppers……….thats the one……….just sarted another batch saturday nite!!!!!!! waytogo

Scenic

Nice!! Thank you. I’m going to give this one a try. Pretty close to the one I have been using.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I’m going to try and pickle some northerns I caught this weekend for the first time and 2 questions I’m wondering about.

Do the bones really dissolve? Also been reading that you should freeze them for a couple of weeks before pickling? Is this true?

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

The bones definitely dissolve and this looks like a similar recipe to ones I have used. (I guess I never include the rib cage so I would say remove that but all other bones are fine)

Yes on freezing the fish – you need to freeze them for a minimum of 48 hours as this curing process will not necessarily kill everything if the fish was fresh.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Do you guys skin your fillets before pickling?

Greg C

Yes I always do

ThunderLund78

Man, just looking at that picture of the bottle of Thunderchicken gives me a headache. But yes, a fortified white like that works fine!

It’s all about the acidity. Any white wine will do, if you like a sweeter pickle go with a Riesling, if you want more of a neutral flavor, go with a Pinot Grigio. I’m a big Pinot Grigio fan for cooking wine. You can get a bottle good enough for cooking for $6. And if you choose to take pull of it while cooking, you could drink a lot worse.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yes on freezing the fish – you need to freeze them for a minimum of 48 hours as this curing process will not necessarily kill everything if the fish was fresh.

Pickling alone is technically not a kill/cook step when it comes to eliminating pathogens. Its not raw either, but bear in mind that if you don’t freeze it and ONLY pickle the fish filets there is still small chance you could get sick. Consuming uncooked fish has a risk, albeit a small one in this case.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tight_lines wrote:</div>

Pickling alone is technically not a kill/cook step when it comes to eliminating pathogens. Its not raw either, but bear in mind that if you don’t freeze it and ONLY pickle the fish filets there is still small chance you could get sick. Consuming uncooked fish has a risk, albeit a small one in this case.

while i will tend to agree with the freezing fish especially pike to kill whatever it is, isnt a bad thing, but i’ve eaten a pile of pike straight from the lake to the fryer and never had issues.

i also dont buy the theory it wont kill whatever it is your trying to kill when its fried in 375 degree oil.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but i’ve eaten a pile of pike straight from the lake to the fryer and never had issues.

Cooking is a kill step Glenn. If you fried it, deep fried it, baked it, grilled it, etc for a specific time at a specific temperature then you eliminated the risk. Regardless of whether you froze it before cooking it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    but i’ve eaten a pile of pike straight from the lake to the fryer and never had issues.

Cooking is a kill step Glenn. If you fried it, deep fried it, baked it, grilled it, etc for a specific time at a specific temperature then you eliminated the risk. Regardless of whether you froze it before cooking it.

you and I agree, but i’ve had discussion with those that dont!! waytogo

KP
    Hudson, WI

Used the recipe above and have another week to see how it turns out!

Attachments:
    1. 20210321_122347.jpg

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

I always used a white port wine, can’t remember brand.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

No wine but I tried some lemon juice in 1 jar. Fish thumpers recipe.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210321_163143997.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Glenn I wish I lived closer, I’d love to try it sometime.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn I wish I lived closer, I’d love to try it sometime.

thanks I’ve are alot of subpart pickled fish I’ve made in the past, fish thumpers recipe rocks. Turns out great every time. waytogo

And it’s surprising how many of them little 22 inch an under pike it takes to fill them jars. Betting those 5 qts are 10 fish.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Pickling is a great way to take advantage of all of those small pike. You get some yummy snacks and help a lake out at the same time. My buddy has 8 jars of picked fish just finishing up at his house. Looking forward to getting up there and eating some. They get better after a month or so, but we can’t seem to wait that long to start eating them.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Glenn – let me know how the ones with lemon juice turns out. I may have to try some like that on out next batch. My buddy added a little horseradish to one of his current batches. Looking forward to trying that one as well.

KP
    Hudson, WI

And it’s surprising how many of them little 22 inch an under pike it takes to fill them jars. Betting those 5 qts are 10 fish.

I had 2 northerns chopped up and before I started I was like im gonna have 2 or 3 jars worth… I was kinda shocked when it only made for 1 jar when I started.

With the recipe above does it come out pretty sweet? I thought the 1 1/2 cup of sugar was a lot but again I havent made pickled fish before.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn – let me know how the ones with lemon juice turns out. I may have to try some like that on out next batch. My buddy added a little horseradish to one of his current batches. Looking forward to trying that one as well.

will do.!!!! waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I had 2 northerns chopped up and before I started I was like im gonna have 2 or 3 jars worth… I was kinda shocked when it only made for 1 jar when I started.

With the recipe above does it come out pretty sweet? I thought the 1 1/2 cup of sugar was a lot but again I havent made pickled fish before.

that is what i thought to. i reduced the sugar down to 1 cup and works just fine.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You may need to adjust the amount of sugar to your liking. They are a little on the sweet side. Then again it is the sweetness that some people really like about them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.