Pheasant Fest 2020 – Minneapolis

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Who all is going to Pheasant Fest next weekend? I have never been before, but right now it looks like we don’t have anything planned for the weekend and I’ve got a few free tickets. Only living 1.5 hours away, I hope to make it!

Are there good deals to be had on anything, similar to the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show? Or is it more education, seminars, habitat, etc? Based on their schedule and website, it looks like plenty of vendors but more of the show is on the latter.
    https://pheasantsforever.org/Pheasant-Fest.aspx

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I was thinking about going, but I won’t make it this year. I was hoping to bring Ripley along, but only dogs that are registered for the bird dog parade are allowed, and I am not spending a vacation day just to go on Friday.

The FW went last time it was in Minneapolis. It’s a good time. There are some good deals to be had. I’d go if I had the weekend free, but we’ve got a wrestling tournment one day, and I don’t feel like spending the other day fighting crowds downtown.

Reef W

I’ve never been to one so I don’t know what it will be like but since NAVHDA members get free tickets I plan on going on Saturday.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve never been to one so I don’t know what it will be like

It’s like any other sports show–vendors, seminars, guns, dogs. Grab a beer and brat and enjoy. waytogo

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Pheasant hunted for the first time this year, and really enjoyed it. I think my family will be going. Sounds like they have some fun things for kids.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Also I looked at their website and I don’t see if kids are free or do you have to pay for them?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If it was anywhere else other than the Convention Center, I might go. I’d drive to Buyck before I’d go back to downtown Minneapolis.

S.R.

Billy whiteshoes

It’s a great time for a pheasant hunting enthusiast. I go whenever I can make the trip, they do a great job when it’s local. It is very similar to the other shows.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Alright, changed my mind. I’m going to hit it up on Sunday.

Gitchi Gummi

For those of you that have gone in the past, do you usually end up buying hunting gear/clothing/etc at discounted prices? Kind of like going to the ice show, where you stock up on gear at really good prices? Or is it more just like walking around and looking at exhibits and stuff like that and everything is pretty much at MSRP?

Trying to decide if its worth a drive down to the cities this weekend. I’m a big upland hunter – just not sure if its actually worth it or not (if there are deals to be had) or is it more or less cool just to see all that stuff at one time under one roof?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Last time we went, my wife got a pretty good deal on an upland vest. I don’t think we bought anything else. I recall Dogtra had a pretty deal on battery replacement.

I don’t really have anything in mind to buy, but I more of a guy that goes to look at stuff and enjoy it all moreso than a shopper. I could use some chaps, so if I find a good deal, I’ll probably buy a pair.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I have 2 free tickets if anyone wants them. You pick them up in Apple Valley, MN. PM for address.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Went to it this afternoon, I’m glad I went. A lot more deals than I was expecting. Most vendors had things somewhere between 15-50% off. I have always wanted what I’d consider a nice vest, found one today at 50% off that I’d never consider buying at full price.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice! What did you get? And where?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Went with a buddy this morning. Good time. There were some good deal to be had. I got a steal on some chaps and picked up a sweet t-shirt. Lots of freebies, too, and plenty of dogs to pet. I’m glad I went!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200216-145558_Twitter.jpg

Nice Fella

It was interesting to see the various German breed dogs. Also enjoyed handling some very nice shotguns.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Nice! What did you get? And where?

Sorry for the late reply. Bought a vest from Reeds. It was a Browning one. I did try on Filson, Pyke, and some others, and liked this one a lot.

One other thing I enjoyed, someday I want to buy a nice dog travel crate. Getting to compare Gunner, Roughland, Dakota 283, Lucky Duck all within a few hours of each other was nice. I now have an idea of what one I want, whenever I can commit myself to the idea of spending a few hundred on a crate.

I saw it was a record crowd, 32,000+ there. So I would assume that it will start making more frequent trips this way. I will probably make an effort to attend everytime it is MN.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice. I always think about a new vest but mine’s fine, so I can’t justify it till I ruin that one. I got a good deal on some waxed cotton chaps from the Runnings booth. I’m looking forward to trying them out.

I enjoyed playing with the shotguns that are way more expensive than I’ll ever be able to justify. )

I imagine it’ll be back to MPLS in a few years. I think 2017 was the last time we hosted. Sunday morning was dead, though! Kind of nice. )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It was interesting to see the various German breed dogs.

It’s fun to see some oddball breeds (coming from a guy who owns an oddball breed). It makes you realize that there are options besides labs and GSPs. )

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Just started hunting and thought this would be a good chance to learn more. Went with my Father in law and kids. The boysloved the kids village and learning hunting safety. Hats off to the youth that came from all over the country to run that area. It was a good experience for someone new to the sport.

Kris Berg

Where will Pheasant Fest be in 2021? My wife and I were crossing the street to go in the front doors of the Convention Center in Minneapolis this year when she felt a shooting pain in her leg. She could hardly put any weight on her leg. I went and got the car and picked her up in front of the building and we went home. I had been wanting to go for a long time and finally had a chance and time to go and this happened. She is all better now, but never did get to go. So close!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.