Panies on the fly

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

I had given Eagan ponds a try here and there. I fish Holland Lake and Fish Lake. Nothing but small sunnies and small bass. I thought I’d try another in the area. Turns out it was a dandy. Nine keepers on the fly rod. The BH orange scud was the big ticket. No pinch on palsa, that spooked them. Also caught them on BH flasback hare’s ear. I just threw my fly rod (already rigged like all my rods) in the trunk, grabbed a fanny pack with my fly fishing stuff and hit the bricks. Only thing I forgot was my polarized sunglasses. That would have helped and it was all sight fishing. Got my heart racing. Those biggies would smash it and they would spit it out if you did not set the hook right away.

Gonna fry up all nine of them tonight. Interesting fish with scales ARE way more work. I bet they taste great. Cannot remember the last time I fried up some nice sized sunnies.

Fish were sitting shallow and under the dock. My idea is they are spawning as are any crappies. Sunfish appeared aggressive and territorial.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Nice work! I dug out my fly rod today with the exact same intentions. I can’t wait to hit the water with it again.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.