P9 Critters

• bosman
    DeSoto, WI

1st time for everything. Caught some hybrids on Pool 9 last night scouting out some areas for the gill spawn. No gills just yet but we’re real close. They should be going by mid week with this shot of “summer” coming according to the weather folks.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I love the markings and colors of the hybrids

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

They are pretty cool looking critters.

With the gills in a holding pattern thought I’d chase walleye this morning. Pulled crawler harnesses in a little known back water running slough. That was about as productive as a kitchen table in an outhouse. Tied on a Bomber and boated a pair of 19’s within minutes on an outside seam. Fished hard for nearly another hour with nothing. Relocated to calmer water with substantial weed growth. Tied a black/green swim jig and did my best imitation of an injured leopard. Fooled some smaller bass but no lunkers. A spro would have been the ticket but didn’t have any. Went to motor across the slough and she gave out the most absurd noise I’ve ever heard with a puff of blue smoke Oh…would I wouldn’t give for a purple Cecil and about 20 inches of ice right now! Thank God for oars! Tied the Bomber back on and steered my way back down river hugging the shore. Plucked a 17″ on my way back down. Thought I’d keep him for supper for all my troubles. Made it back to the landing after an hour and half of drifting. Thanks to the gents for offering a tow but I knew I’d be all right and just wanted to fish it out. Took a shot of stomach contents too. I’m a big believer in that match the hatch thingy.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Sorry to hear about the motor Bos

Great job staying with it and taking your frustrations out on the 17incher I’m sure it was very tasty

superdave
    NE IA

Thanks for the report Bos. Sorry to hear about the motor, hopefully your back on the water soon.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dude that bites the big one! Cool hybrids, tho… there’s something about that not-a-green-sunfish-green-sunfish look that makes me wanna grab my ultralight and a tin of waxes RIGHT NOW!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

They are pretty cool looking critters.

I would agree

whittsend

Very cool fish. Possibly a warmouth??

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Very cool fish. Possibly a warmouth??

That is what we call them down here.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Their warmouths here too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.