Panfish Bite Question

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Hello Everyone,
    I am generally a walleye and pike guy, but do enjoy crappie action when you can find it. I was out on a smaller lake yesterday with a buddy we managed to keep a few Crappies. We would get bite, after bite, after bite, is there a pattern to the madness with crappie and gills? They wouldn’t just take the bait and run or tap it and sit, it was usually 2-3 taps and then it would stop. Just curious if this is just a “light” bit non aggressive behavior due to water temps or if this is normal.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Hitting like this can be frustating. You didn’t mention whether a float was used or not, but sometimes simply moving the float up three or four inches will make a difference in how well they take a bait if you are float fishing. Bait size can be an issue at times….maybe shorten a plastic just a tad will help or clip back the hair on a hair jig. Try tempting them with ice tackle….something like a Ratso under a float.

Really warm water has about the same effect on the fish as it does us humans….they too will get sluggish at the high-heat times of the day. If they are in “one of those moods”, chances are that nothing you do to sweeten things a little will matter.

If you are free-lining try hanging a float on the line. Many times a free falling bait will pass thru the zone too quickly and nuetral fish show little more interest in it than a few quick pecks. If the water temps have your target fish depth specific, the float will be the way to go.

One other thing that can be standing in your way is line weight/color. I do best using crystal clear line on panfish and crappies all year long. In the open water while free lining I use 2 pound Vanish. It has a breaking strength closer to four or six and is as sensitive as braid. This line will be plenty limp and will allow you to use pretty tiny jigs/baits without the float. Since the fluorocarbon will sink and become a burden to hooksets if used with a float, my float rods get clear 4pound xl. Heavier lines tend to coil and soften the hits.

And of course, some days you’ll simply be the wheel and have to put up with their little quirks.

Fun, ain’t they?

Brian Lyons

Wade;
    One trick that has worked for me in hot weather in low flow areas,(lakes would cetainly qualify)is a wax worm or very small chunk of crawler on the smallest Panther Martin spinner availiable. I think all mine say size 0. If the spinner won’t get to the depth of the fish add a tiny split shot, retrieve slowly, just fast enough to turn the blade.
    Let us know if it works for you, it has saved my supper many times on IA. lakes……B

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.