Blackstone favorite recipes

• TH

Just picked a blackstone up. What are your favorite things to cook? Any recipes to share? Tips or tricks that are helpful?

Nodakk

Oklahoma onion smash burgers. So good and does not take a ton of experience to do

MNdrifter

Smash burgers are a family favorite, and I made ribeyes similar to smash burgers last year for 4th of July. Put a 1/2 a handful of onion and a spoon full of butter on top on the griddle where I wanted each steak. Then pressed each steak into the butter/onion pile. They were phenomenal. Regular Hibachi stir fry is good with fried rice. Tip: pre cook rice the day before. I also make a ravioli type dish that is pretty good. With 4 cheese tortalini from Costco, diced leftover brats or Italian sausage and spaghetti sauce. Crunch wrap supremes work well. There really are a ton of things you can do with them, and they are fun to cook on. Make sure to season it well before cooking on it. I used the Blackstone seasoning butter, cooking several coats on according to directions. Then before cooking any real food on it, I sautéed a whole sack of onions on it. The onions do something with the steel chemically that helps season it. Do not do bacon right away!!! Something with the animal fat will make it not season correctly, and your food will stick.

TH

Thanks for the seasoning tips, MNdrifter! Seems like cooking all those onions might make the pancakes taste funny.

MNdrifter

Thanks for the seasoning tips, MNdrifter! Seems like cooking all those onions might make the pancakes taste funny.

Naw. Steam clean with water, and scraper. It’s a process to season these like a cast iron pan when new so food won’t stick. Once it’s seasoned properly, cook away. Kinda like burning off a new grill or smoker.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You tube worm hole is where I started. There’s a few guys out there that will show you everything you need to know starting with the necessary tools of the trade. I jumped right into it last summer and had a blast. Looking forward to using it this year .

stevenoak

Bruce Mitchell from Swamp People does You Tube videos for Blackstone. The Hungry Hussey does also plus Blackstone has their own guy, that is usually selling the latest spatula. You Tube will keep you busy all summer.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Some of the same favorites as drifter, smash burgers and hibachi/chicken fried rice. For a breakfast, not sure what it’s called but it turns into a hash brown sandwich type thing. Put a layer of hash browns down covering entire surface, season to your liking. Let the one side cook, when the one side is close to done add beaten eggs evenly across hashbrowns. Cut the hash browns width wise and add piece of cheese, bacon, sausage or whatever you desire and fold so ingredients are in middle. Pretty easy and delicious.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

For a breakfast, not sure what it’s called but it turns into a hash brown sandwich type thing. Put a layer of hash browns down covering entire surface, season to your liking. Let the one side cook, when the one side is close to done add beaten eggs evenly across hashbrowns.

Just did something very similar yesterday, Hashbrown Omelets. As others mentioned, any kind of smashburger is great, either beef or ground chicken. Chicken quesadillas using leftover grilled chicken and adding whatever you want. There are endless recipes/videos on YouTube

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Smash tacos are fun too. We often make breakfast where I can cook meat, potatoes, eggs and pancakes across the variably heated griddle then eat outside. I only Blackstone when I can eat it outside.

buschman
    Pool 2

Out of all the things we cook the smash burgers are the family’s favorite.

85% beef, BoarsHead American cheese and good buns are a must. I like to set onions down too but not needed.

Measure your beef with 1/4 cup measuring cup. This equals 1/8 lb and smashes to the perfect size. We do double and triple patty burgers.

Butter the surface and toast your buns first. Then butter the surface again and run your burgers. Smash the burger, season and flip in 90-120 seconds. Then drop the cheese on and let the other side cook for another 90 seconds and they are done. Make sure to use parchment paper when you smash the burger. You want your burger super thin and that parchment paper will keep it from sticking to your smasher.

We can cook 12-16 burgers, buns and all in 20 minutes. Helps to have two on the grill if your doing a big batch.

JEREMY
    BP

I cook everything on mine. Bet I use it 5 times a week. Im usually in the garage drinking beer anyway plus way less cleanup then using a bunch of different pans in the house.

ThunderLund78

Here’s a home-grown fried rice recipe that I’ve been tweaking ever since I got my Blackstone 4 years ago. I think it’s the favorite thing I make on mine and that’s saying a LOT. I got it dialed-in now and just made it this last weekend – pure dynamite. Beauty of this one – you can customize it with whatever meat and veggies you’d like, don’t worry too much about amounts. And the SAUCE! This recipe makes extra sauce – keep it in a squeeze bottle in the fridge. I discovered it goes great on chicken wings or as a marinade. This looks like a lot, but it’s really pretty easy

SAUCE:
    1-1/2 cups of Soy Sauce (I use low-sodium, plenty of salt in the other stuff)
    1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup Oyster sauce
    2 TB Toasted (dark) Sesame Oil
    1 TB Sriracha (more if you like heat, but I prefer to add more when eating)

MEAT/VEGGIES ETC:
    8 servings Basmati or Jasmine rice – made at least a few hours ahead of time
    2 Chicken Breasts
    12-16 oz Sirloin Steak
    Bottle of your favorite Teriyaki Sauce or Asian marinade
    1 Large head of Broccoli – cut into small flourettes
    1 Red Pepper – diced
    1 Green Pepper – diced
    1 Medium Onion – diced
    1 Bag of Bean Sprouts (roughly 2 cups)
    Oil for cooking (something hi-temp like Canola or Avocado)
    Sesame Oil for flavor while frying rice
    5 Eggs – beaten

INSTRUCTIONS:
    If you’re having this for supper do these 3 steps in the morning!
    1. Slice your meat thin and marinate it the Teriyaki sauce or favorite marinade for 3-6 hours in fridge
    2. Rinse your rice in a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of excess starch and cook according to package. Let it sit out and cool before transferring to the fridge for a few hours to cool completely – this is IMPORTANT. If you use freshly cooked rice, it will become a sticky, pasty mess.
    3. Mix up all your sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl with a whisk and set-aside

As you’re getting ready to cook:
    1. Dice up your veggies and put them in big bowl
    2. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl
    3. Fire up the Blackstone and put all burners on high
    4. Bring your meat, veggies, eggs, oils and sauce out to your cooking area

Cooking:
    1. Spread a thin coat of oil on the Hot Blackstone
    2. Add your meat on one half and your veggies on the other half stir frying them separately – when approaching done, turn side burners to low. Push all meat to one side and all veggies to the other.
    3. spread a bit more oil on the middle of the griddle and dump the rice on, chopping up the chunks that are sticking together.
    4. Stir fry the rice for a few minutes, adding a few drizzles of Sesame oil while you toss it for flavor.
    5.Then squirt or pour some sauce, maybe 1/4 cup (est) at a time on the rice and continue to toss, just until the rice takes on a good brown color from the sauce
    6. Then pull in your meat and veggies into the rice and continue to toss. Add more sauce, perhaps another 1/2 – 1 cup. It’s pretty forgiving
    7. Once good, sauced, and mixed, turn middle burners to low and create a big open space in the middle of your stir fry. Dump your eggs on and let them start to firm up and scramble/chop them up with your spatula.
    8. Once the eggs are scrambled, Finally mix it ALL together – it will be A LOT.

Transfer it from the Blackstone to a big bowl and enjoy hot! Serve with Sriracha or Garlic Chili Sauce if you want it hotter. Should not need soy sauce unless you like it really salty. Keeps great for leftovers and I will be having some shortly! Will try to find a pic somewhere.

Attachments:
    1. 20230708_180422-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thunderlund, I’m doing that one of these days and that sounds delicious.

ThunderLund78

Thunderlund, I’m doing that one of these days and that sounds delicious.

You wont regret it! Let me know how it turns out, BC!

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Leftover rice? Spare bacon? Here’s a favorite breakfast of my fam;

Fry up bacon – chop it up when done
    In the leftover grease, sautee your veggies of choice (I usually do shredded cabbage, carrots, white onions, mushrooms, spinach, red bell peppers, garlic) once they’re starting to get soft, add your cooked rice with a generous amount of sesame oil – get it warm (or I like to leave mine on til it’s near crispy) then add however many eggs, fold and mix everything together and finish the seasoning out with a little bit of chili oil/soy/fish sauce (I never measure, just round out the flavor profile to your liking) and top with sesame seeds, green onions, and kimchi (use the mild if you don’t like spicy, but that bite from the acid in the vinegar is key, otherwise it’s all salt and fat.)

Super good, will not disappoint!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I made the bacon right away mistake. Never knew until now why mine was picky for so long!

picklerick
    Central WI

I made the bacon right away mistake. Never knew until now why mine was picky for so long!

I did the same thing with my 2nd griddle. Seasoned it with at least six light layers of grapeseed oil. Made a pack of bacon the next day, then smash burgers. It was early Dec, so I cleaned it, oiled it, let it heat up until it stopped smoking, lightly oiled it again, then covered it for the winter. This is what I did and still do with my 1st griddle we keep outdoors up north. When I opened it up in spring, there was light surface rust where every burger had cooked. I took the scrubby side of a sponge and buffed them out with oil and clean towels, but it took a while and repeated attempts. I was about ready to strip it and start over for a bit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.