Otter XT Hideout (1-man)

• Andy Fischer

I currently have an Otter XT Lodge for when the wife and kid want to come fishing and love the quality of shack. When alone, I fish out of a Clam Scout XLTC. Thinking about upgrading to the Otter XT Hideout so I can fish 2 holes more comfortably and not worry about the walls sweating. I don’t like extending poles since I chase crappies usually. Anyone around Mankato have one I could look at in person? I don’t think this shelter will be on display at many stores. 90% sure I want to buy one, just want to see it in person first.

For current owners, is it light enough to load/unload by myself? I always pull by hand until there is a solid 12-14 inches of ice to drive my truck out. With propane, auger, and other gear, weight is a big factor to me. Any other reviews would be great.

Thanks in advance.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I have the hideout and like it. I don’t have troubles loading it myself (60 lbs). It has a weird shape that gives it more fishing space than a conventional 1 person flip over. The weird shape makes it take up as much space to haul as a 2 person flipover (like the cottage).

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

the cottage, frabill recruit, clam legend xl designs are a bit better. I’ve fished out of my buddies hideout for a day and used to have a recon. That design get pretty cramped after a while and also limits the length of rods you can use. the weight between those 3 and a hideout is very similar. You only have to extend the poles once per outing…

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

cant comment on a hideout but Ive fished out of a cottage for a few years now. Like it a lot. I can load it and unload it from the truck on my own and I’m not a big guy (5’9″ on a good day). I do need to empty it of all the contents but that would be the case with a hideout too. Its a very roomy one man. ive fished two out of it before. I enjoy the extra space. Makes every task easier. I did a full review of it on this website a few years ago. you can go back and search for it if you are interested

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I’ve fished out of every size Otter Sled House except the Resort, the Hideout is very nice but it was a tad too narrow for me, IMHO, the best size for a one man is the Cottage, if you wanted to go Clam I would go with the Dave Genz Legend, not a bad shack for only about 60 lbs….

Andy Fischer

I think I’ll just have to sit in one to see if I like it or not. If anyone sees one on display anywhere, please let me know. All we have in Mankato is Scheels and Mills, and they won’t carry it.

Mike Lehmann

Also looking at getting one of these…if i can fish with a 34″ rod, looks to be the “biggest” 1 man…the eskimo wide 1 seemed cheaply built.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.