Otter XT 650 vs Jason Mitchell Thermal X

• Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

I am trying to decide between the Otter XT 650 Cabin and the Jason Mitchell Thermal X. I have studied each of them up and down, but without actual ice experience with either, I can’t come to a solid conclusion. They seem to be a statistical draw. I understand that the 1200 Cabin prices the same as Jason Mitchell, but without all the accessories I don’t feel like it fits for me financially.

650 Pros:

1. Sells for $550 at fleet farm
    2. Sled looks like a much easier pull
    3. Otter built – means really high quality

650 Cons:

1. Only partial thermal
    2. Lacks accessories
    3. I’m 6-2, 6-4 with boots — Lower ceiling than JM
    4. Bench seat rather than bucket seats

Thermal X Pros:

1. 100% Thermal
    2. Comes fully loaded with accessories
    3. Quality seats
    4. Larger fishing area

Thermal X Cons:

1. Priced at $830
    2. Sled and weight look difficult
    3. Only 600 denier

If anyone has experience with each or critique of either model I would love to hear it. I understand that IDO fishes with the Ice Force brands, and generally speaking I like to follow their lead, but I’m not exclusive, Vexilar and Clam are good brands.

Need your help! Thanks!

hamms
    Mn

I like that the Jm comes with all the extras but not 300 bucks worth! I just bought the otter wild cabin t600 which the xt650 replaced. I love it. It replaced a X2 fish trap which had a hole in the sled. I like the otter sled far better I wanted the bench over the seats this time and love that it flips up to get at my gear. The sled packs great and nothing flops around. Great set up with thermal top. Get some LEDs and rod holder or 2 and fish!

dbright
    Cambridge

Last winter on URL one of the guys with had a new JM house and had 4 out of 5 windows break while setting up at -29.

gonehunting

This is coming from a diehard Otter guy. Look at this as a long term investment. I would spend the extra money on the Otter Cabin XT1200. Buy full thermal and never look back. You won’t get higher quality as you stated. You can always add accessories. You don’t want to buy and wish you had something else. If nothing else look for used. Might be hard to find this time of year but I have seen them.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I have an XT650 lodge I bought last season and my cousin (who I usually fish with) bought a Jason Mitchell this year. Both are nice, and yes the Mitchell comes with a lot of accessories, the nicest being the light bar but for the $300 price difference you could do a lot of mods yourself to make it the way you want it rather than the way it’s sent from the factory.

After helping him put his together I can tell you it didn’t make me jealous at all. I may be biased though because I spent my money on an Otter.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I just bought the 650 Lodge and fished in it last weekend. I also looked at both and the Otter sled is pretty tough to beat! The sled is the foundation of it the way I see it. The skirting on the inside is generous in size and kept out all the wind. I was skeptical about the bench but after spending a day on it I really liked it, I could slide back and forth to reach things, sit stuff down etc…I am going to to put in swivel boat seats but it will be set up to easily use either.
    As far as accessories, mounting a battery holder in the sled and running some LED lights is very inexpensive.

I’m not sure if you’re getting the Cabin over the Lodge do to size and transporting. but the store I got mine at has the following prices-
    650 cabin-$488 (until end of Dec)
    650 Lodge-$599
    1200 Lodge-$799
    Being 6’2″ you might want to check out the Lodge.

Good luck!

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

Good information guys! @belletaine what store are you finding those prices? I’ll be in the Cities next week, if those prices are still around I would jump on them.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Good information guys! @belletaine what store are you finding those prices? I’ll be in the Cities next week, if those prices are still around I would jump on them.

The store is L&M Fleet supply
    I got mine at the Park Rapids location.
    Locations:
    Bemidji
    Cloquet
    Detroit Lakes
    Grand Rapids
    Hibbing
    Park Rapids
    Virginia

Hayward WI

I have preached this often-best prices on augers and shacks PERIOD!
    Hub style houses and augers have free delivery.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

I owned 2 clam shacks before I upgraded to the cottage! What a difference in quality! The squared tubing, sled, cover stitching, vents, and windows make the otter far superior! I will never buy anything clam/genz again! They have cheapened that line to ht level! I’d much sooner go with a frabil than anything clam related! Make your money count, don’t waste it on inferior stuff!!

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I agree with Bronzbak…I got a clam fish trap X4 two years ago for I think about $800 bucks and it’s not what I thought it was gonna be. Very cheaply made. I really want an Otter now!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Call me cynical but….the lights incorporated in the pole and the various “bells & whistles” in the Clams are nice but I think they detract the eye from the quality of the sled etc…smoke and mirrors haha

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

Thanks for your feedback guys. Not only did you talk me out of the JM, but you talked me INTO the Pro XT 1200 Lodge… Go big or go home.

@belletaine I owe you one, I was able to get the 1200 Lodge at L & M for $799… that is a heck of a deal!

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

way to go chris, i wish i had of gone to otter instead fo my infero flipmo 2?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks for your feedback guys. Not only did you talk me out of the JM, but you talked me INTO the Pro XT 1200 Lodge… Go big or go home.

@belletaine I owe you one, I was able to get the 1200 Lodge at L & M for $799… that is a heck of a deal!

I’m glad you got it Chris, it’s a heck of a shack. I like to see people get good deals. The money you saved will pay for two TUCR’s and a couple Shimano Siennas! haha. You’ll love it.

gonehunting

Congrats Chris. You won’t find a nicer house in my opinion.

hamms
    Mn

They are great enjoy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.