Other Fun Hobbies

• Sharon
    SE Metro

So we all know fishing, hunting, and gardening are some of our favorite hobbies. But let’s share some other fun hobbies! I know there’s a few avid readers and golfers here, does anyone else paint? I’ve always enjoyed painting on canvas and was in art club on high school.

I got out the fall decorations today and decided I needed an updated fall painting for my kitchen table. The grass took way longer than I though it would but I’m happy with how it turned out! grin

Attachments:
    1. 20230904_142330-scaled.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Disc Golfing is one of my favorites. Used to be really into it, playing in tournaments around the midwest. MN is a great place to live as there are around 300+ courses in the state with more popping up every month. It’s also free to play on most courses, and most are through nice parks with a lot of nature.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Awesome painting, Sharon!

Jimmy Jones

Beautiful! I love the birch cluster.

wkw

Nice work Sharon !

MX1825

Awesome painting Sharon.
    You did that in an afternoon? WOW! You are talented.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

NFL Pro Football. I was a soccer player but have always been a Vikings fan. There are just so many aspects of football at the highest level that I enjoy. This year, I am adopting the New York Jets. I so much want to see A-a-a Ron and Cook go to the Super Bowl.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Disc Golfing is one of my favorites. It’s also free to play on most courses, and most are through nice parks with a lot of nature.

I’ve heard it’s fun but I haven’t tried it yet. One of my favorite parks ties into a disc golf course so you gotta keep your eyes peeled for flying discs. smash

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awesome painting Sharon.
    You did that in an afternoon? WOW! You are talented.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Yep, it was about 3 hours to paint with time to blow dry it a little in between layers. I wanted to do way more pumpkins but it was a lot of work! rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Racquet sports. Tennis, badminton, pickleball, ping pong.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Coin collecting for the past half dozen years, picked up the hobby later in life and still learning and learning…. and learning!!

jwellsy

I enjoy flying remote control planes, particularly quarter scale planes.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

One thing I’ve gotten addicted to is watching metal detecting videos on youtube. I’d love to do it, but around here there isn’t much history. Watching people do it over in Europe and the East Coast, finding coins and relics from the roman ages and further back is pretty amazing.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Drinking beer.
    Very nice painting Sharon.

Droptinex2

Carving

Attachments:
    1. 20170327_194118-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1341-scaled.jpeg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Ham radio. Been doing that since I was 12 years old.

SR

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

I have a CNC Router and a CNC laser. spend lots of time making cutting boards, coasters, and wooden flags

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1907-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_1157-scaled.jpg

3. IMG_1195-scaled.jpg

4. IMG_1238-scaled.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

I love football. If I didn’t have kids and a lot to (and hunt) I’d probably spend every Saturday and Sunday in the fall watching football.

I grew up on a farm and I’m still part-cowboy at heart. I don’t get to enough but I love rodeos and watching great rides or wrecks on YouTube.

I also devote entirely too much time to my garden.

27eyeguy

Great work Sharon, droptine, n aleb. Love all the work and it looks great. I shoot trap, skeet, and a little bit of sporting clays as other hobbies.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Awesome painting. That’s a talent and hobby that lasts a lifetime. I’m jealous because my best effort would create a blob of colors that nobody could describe.

After fishing for me and hunting, it’s probably just boating in general on the tritoon and skiing/tubing/wakeboarding with whoever is out. I used to golf but sold everything. I have built a lot of garden sheds, benches, tables, decks, etc for family friends that I guess you could call a “paid” hobby. As the girls get older I’ll be devoting more time to getting animals around And established systems at the new place (chickens, a few beef cattle, maybe some goats).

Deuces

Last couple years been enjoying the casual bike ride which I haven’t since youth, had just a hybrid bike that worked well for tooling around city w kiddo mainly. Taken it more seriously this year, after nearly falling over on new road bike prices bought a sweet 1994 bianchi I’ve added a few things to, try to get in couple rides a week, 20 to 25 miles. Haven’t broken down and got the skin tight pants and shirts yet but really want to get a 17mph average going so perhaps in time….

Never been a huge speed guy but dam I love hitting 30 around curves woot

After 20yrs doing floor work thought it would be counter productive to the muscles being used but going off recommendations from folks who know PT far better than me I was proven wrong big time, knees and back have never felt better.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I really enjoy many outdoor activities but turning back into what I did years ago was street racing, I love that feeling of power to the wheels and a good adrenaline rush. Next year I will sport hopefully 600 HP in my 72 charger

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230902-063534.png

2. Screenshot_20230902-063608.png

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I am an avid reader, mostly murder mysteries located with MN or the surrounding states. Authors Brian Freeman, John Sandford, PJ Tracy, David housewright and Allen Eskens. Also have found some interesting fictional books about game wardens. C.J Box’s character Joe Pickett is one the favorites, Paul Dorian has a series about a game warden in Maine that is also good. Another favorite is from author William Kent Krueger and his character Cork O’Conner set in norther MN.

Other hobbies, building muskie lures, trout and walleye spinners and custom fishing rods. My rod building skills are nowhere near the likes of Rodworks or other rod builders on here, but it is fun. Currently I am working with 6 neighborhood kids and their Dads on creating their own ice rod. Can’t wait to see them out on the ice with them.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awesome! I love hearing about all the different hobbies and we definitely have a great variety of interests here! mrgreen

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

When the sun, moon, and stars align and I have time, I do woodworking, specifically I design and build furniture.

This winter I’m going to build a desk and work table for my loft office. The work table is supposed to look like an old workbench so we’ll see how well I can do “vintage”.

As most know, I repair power equipment for friends/neighbors/family.

I’m also a volunteer at my church, I do a lot of tree pruning, lawn work, and landscaping maintenance as well as working on the church’s power equipment.

Interesting to see what others do for hobbies.

Riverrat

Im going to paint some fishing lures this off-season. Got an airbrush and some blanks, should be interesting.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I enjoy wood working as well. I got into after putting some IKEA furniture and thought to myself I could make something better. Started out doing farmhouse style furniture and now I’m getting into live edge furniture.

Attachments:
    1. 20221008_191428-scaled.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I enjoy wood working as well. I got into after putting some IKEA furniture and thought to myself I could make something better. Started out doing farmhouse style furniture and now I’m getting into live edge furniture.

Thats a nice table. Are the legs steel or iron hairpin or are they a wood design? Good work on the finish, looks terrific.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Square metal legs that I bought online. I plan on making a dining table out cedar that I used for this table.

Attachments:
    1. 20221008_192024-scaled.jpg

TH

I like building boats. Here’s the one I’m working on. Strips of redwood from and old deck.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3806.jpeg

2. IMG_3943.jpeg

3. IMG_3731.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.