Ordered my new truck — Supply Chain Issues

• CaptainMusky

So I was finally able to order my new 2022 truck on Saturday. Im told 4 to 5 months before I get it, but I hope to get it before the Canada trip. I looked across the street to see the Ford dealer’s lot very full. I said to the salesman: “Ford must not be having nearly as many issues with the component shortage huh?” He says, they have relatively full lots, but most of the vehicles sitting there will not run. Ford has apparently taken the stance to pack the lots, but the vehicles are missing parts and pushing that down to the dealers to eventually take care of. GM is holding them in huge lots waiting for parts to finish and ship.
    My dealer said GM is having a major issue with transports so their dealer actually purchased their own transport and is picking up 40 vehicles sitting somewhere in Wisconsin that have been waiting to get delivered for months.
    It was crazy seeing the lot and not 1 single new GM vehicle in it.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Family member bought a new GM a couple weeks ago.
    Bought without being on the lot, and with known missing parts.
    Vehicle was taken possession of, but still missing parts. (I think heated seats and lane assist stuff)
    Vehicle will be taken back into dealer when the parts become available.

CaptainMusky

Family member bought a new GM a couple weeks ago.
    Bought without being on the lot, and with known missing parts.
    Vehicle was taken possession of, but still missing parts. (I think heated seats and lane assist stuff)
    Vehicle will be taken back into dealer when the parts become available.

I was told It would be 50/50 that my heated seats and lane assist stuff would work when I get it. He said its been getting slightly better, but still slow.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

So the GM dealer wants you to believe that they PUSHED those trucks from the end of the assembly line to the train yard, pushed it on to the train, pushed it off the train into the rail yard, pushed it on & off the transport truck, and then pushed it into position on the Ford dealers lot?

Yeah, right. HRG

CaptainMusky

So the GM dealer wants you to believe that they PUSHED that truck from the end of the assembly line to the train yard, pushed it on to the train, pushed it off the train into the rail yard, pushed it on & off the transport truck, and then pushed it into position on the Ford dealers lot?

Yeah, right. HRG

Well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration as to “doesnt run” but if they could sell them there are people to buy them so there has to be something to it. I should have clarified what he meant by the comment.

Ripjiggen

I have been told by what I think is a reliable source the GM/Chevy dealers will never go back to having inventory on trucks and SUV’s. They will all be made to order in the future.

CaptainMusky

I have been told by what I think is a reliable source the GM/Chevy dealers will never go back to having inventory on trucks and SUV’s. They will all be made to order in the future.

I could see it. Dealers may actually prefer that. Prior to this you would get major rebates on the vehicles now there is next to nothing. That’s a lot of overhead to have these vehicles with the majority of them being over $50k sitting on the lot. I do think it will be difficult to do solely ordering though. I mean, people still want to actually see/drive what they are buying. I tell you what it was extremely difficult picking a color by looking at a pic online. Heck, they havent even sent them brochures in like 3 years.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Ordered ’22 f350 in Mid Aug.
    Still waiting.
    I figured on 6-8 months when the dealer said close to 4 months.

If I were you I would not be holding my breath and just be aware of that.

CaptainMusky

If I were you I would not be holding my breath and just be aware of that.

Trust me I am not counting on anything. I was just finally able to order what I actually wanted since I getting the redesigned 22 with new interior. The pricing just came out I think last week. The last thing I want to do is take a brand new truck with nearly no miles and tow my 19 foot boat 300 miles. Some probably do it, but that goes against my style. -)

stevenoak

When I had my Ford truck in for service in December. Asked my salesman if availability was any better. He said Ford was going to ship incomplete trucks to dealers. Then as they were sold, Ford would supply the parts to finish the sold unit. Think he said within 6 weeks. Sure a lot could have changed from them. Have a buddy driving a GMC that’s almost a year old. That still doesn’t have the chip to get the last two shifts out of the tranny.

CaptainMusky

Have a buddy driving a GMC that’s almost a year old. That still doesn’t have the chip to get the last two shifts out of the tranny.

Crap, I could end up in that boat because that is likely the 10 speed right?

munchy
    NULL

So the GM dealer wants you to believe that they PUSHED those trucks from the end of the assembly line to the train yard, pushed it on to the train, pushed it off the train into the rail yard, pushed it on & off the transport truck, and then pushed it into position on the Ford dealers lot?

Yeah, right. HRG

They run and drive but don’t have the chips for secondary features. They aren’t able to sell them because it could be a safety issue.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I could see it. Dealers may actually prefer that. Prior to this you would get major rebates on the vehicles now there is next to nothing. That’s a lot of overhead to have these vehicles with the majority of them being over $50k sitting on the lot. I do think it will be difficult to do solely ordering though. I mean, people still want to actually see/drive what they are buying. I tell you what it was extremely difficult picking a color by looking at a pic online. Heck, they havent even sent them brochures in like 3 years.

I don’t disagree. Guessing they will have a couple to test drive and then you get sold all the features as must haves after the fact. Before you know it Frank is walking out with a tricked out truck he never intended to by.

If you name is Frank please don’t take offense first name that popped in my head.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

I said to the salesman: “Ford must not be having nearly as many issues with the component shortage huh?” He says, they have relatively full lots, but most of the vehicles sitting there will not run. Ford has apparently taken the stance to pack the lots, but the vehicles are missing parts and pushing that down to the dealers to eventually take care of. GM is holding them in huge lots waiting for parts to finish and ship.

If a salesman told me this, i would have simply went across the street and inquired about their full lot. Would have given me more insight to the integrity of the salesman i was working with.
    I hope you get your truck sooner than later. You should also ask for something extra if you have already put money down towards the purchase.

Coletrain27

Ford has been holding a lot of trucks in huge lots also for quite some time.

Attachments:
    1. 9EA8956F-14AF-4484-A95E-F5A55FD8398A.jpeg

2. CBC00FC9-8395-4358-B61B-48FEE8B4C3EC.jpeg

CaptainMusky

I hope you get your truck sooner than later. You should also ask for something extra if you have already put money down towards the purchase.

I didn’t have to put a penny down. I asked him what if it came in and I didn’t like it for some reason. He said no worries just walk away we won’t have trouble selling it.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

that’s a whole lot of white trucks. im guessing lots of fleet vehicles.

Ripjiggen

I just thought Ford only had two color options white and grey… jester

CaptainMusky

Yeah fleet vehicles are less hard to come by because they have far less of the creature comforts. A buddy down in Houston thought about getting into building the fleet boxes for these type trucks. His local dealer had tons of these trucks that were shipped out waiting on the storage boxes. An entrepreneur could make a fortune if they are so inclined. He didn’t have capacity to take it on though. Too busy doing stuff for Elon musk.

dirtywater

Heard this about Ford on the radio back in September. Expect it to be consistent across makes. Boat guys should at least be familiar with the pain.

“Ford’s CEO recently said he’s “committed” to switching toward an order-based system — and electric-automakers like Tesla and Rivian have built their business models around vehicle orders, with no dealerships involved at all.” (Npr September 24, 2021)

queenswake
    NULL

I think the problems for GM are even worse than the F150 since SO many Chevy/GMC guys were waiting years for the new 22s to finally come out after so many delays. The 22s represent GM finally getting the interiors and other stuff to match where the other makes already were. And hence, so much pent up demand with guys trying to trade up — all in the middle of the large supply chain mess we’re in.

stevenoak

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenoak wrote:</div>
    Have a buddy driving a GMC that’s almost a year old. That still doesn’t have the chip to get the last two shifts out of the tranny.

Yes, it’s an 8 speed now. Chip will give him the other 2 speeds. I
    haven’t talked to him for a couple months. Hopefully he has it by now.
    I assume white {work trucks} need fewer chips to produce per unit. Also, I painted in a body shop for over 40 years. For over the last 10 years or more. Silver and white have been among the most popular sold new. My truck and wifes car, both silver. Truck matches the boat. Catches way more fish that way.

CaptainMusky

Truck matches the boat. Catches way more fish that way.

Truth! I went with Blue to match mine. This will be my 4th new truck since 2015. I am driving so much less now that I am sure I am going to keep this one much longer. Right now I dont have a vehicle I can pull the boat with. I had to have my buddy tow it to storage.

Jason

Still waiting.

I ordered a ’22 F350 back on 7/02.
    I still don’t have a vin for it so I’m thinking it will be another 2+ months before I see it.

CaptainMusky

Still waiting.

I ordered a ’22 F350 back on 7/02.
    I still don’t have a vin for it so I’m thinking it will be another 2+ months before I see it.

That’s rough guys! Hopefully you get them soon. I have heard the heavy duty stuff was even worse! Good luck!

the_hat
    SE Metro

So couple thoughts on this entire idea of major vehicle manufacturers going to “order specific” business models.

What happens to these vehicles in limbo when the supply chain issue is resolved (however long that is) and all these vehicles that are just “waiting” for the final pieces to be completed and sold? Do the original buyers get a call telling them to get there and get there car? Oh and by the way, the price went up 5 percent, the interest rates went up another 3 and the vehicle is last years model. But it’s all yours………
    Those cars have to go someplace. Guessing those 5 acre dealer complexes will be full again at some point. And they have to tell the consumer that it will be order only moving forward because it creates demand in the present. But at some point the orders slow, but the expectations for the manufacturer to meet monetary performance goals stays the same.

Tesla and Rivian are a bad comparison in my opinion as the common blue collar human isn’t there target market.

The inventory may shrink some especially when the cost of money increases, that I can see, but to say dealer lots will be empty like they are now. No way.
    Besides, who doesn’t enjoy dealing with a car salesman…….🤣 They can’t just let them take orders now and handout keys when they show up.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s 0 chance I’d spend the prices new trucks cost today and then take my vehicle with missing components that may or may not come in the future. My demand isn’t that high for a new truck.

Tough time to be buying, but best of luck to those enduring the chaos

stevenoak

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenoak wrote:</div>

Not sure the issue on his. My brother bought the same truck this summer. 2500 diesel, 4×4 and his is complete. Hope they have figured out . My neighbor’s GMC half ton has been back for bent valves twice in three months. Another friends once.

404 ERROR
    MN

Sending incomplete vehicles isn’t exclusive to automotive. BRP and Kawasaki have been doing the same thing for a couple months now. They’re utilizing the empty dealer lots to store the vehicles without the gauge clusters and ECU’s. IMO, that’s smart. They’re compensating the dealers for the install time. Speeds everything up once components are obtained and keeps them from having to rent lots to store crates of units…

I’ve been looking at a new truck for the last couple months and it seems like the only way to buy certain ones is to buy new or spend 10k more…The 1 ton gas market is crazy. I’ll continue hauling 7,500lbs with my 1/2 ton until something stabilizes…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.