Ordered my new truck — Supply Chain Issues

• Pitter patter

Friend just got new dodge 2500 diesel. 6 months from order to delivery

CaptainMusky

These delays certainly are not ideal. I thought I was taking advantage of the inflated used market by selling my truck in Oct hoping the “issues” would get resolved and order a new one and have it in the few months. Now, its looking like I may have made a poor decision in hindsight. Oh well, when it rains it pours I guess. Still waiting on a GM Reman engine for my wife’s truck which went south 1 week after I sold my truck. I told her I will likely have my new truck before she gets her’s back which doesnt make her happy LOL.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

We lucked into a new Tundra in October. Everything we wanted including the color that just happened to be on the truck when we took the wifes car in for service. Dealer stated that it was a custom order and the guy backed out so we snatched it up. Our old truck was a 09′ F150 with 150k on it, so we figured we better get something new while it was available vs being in a pickle when we really needed it. With that said, the same dealer typically has 3-400 cars on their lot and I bet you they were lucky to have 30-40. Most of wich were corollas and camrys.

grizzly
    nebraska

Ordered new dodge 12/28/21 and supposed to be at dealership 2/15/22

CaptainMusky

With that said, the same dealer typically has 3-400 cars on their lot and I bet you they were lucky to have 30-40. Most of wich were corollas and camrys.

Its actually depressing seeing car lots these days. Used vehicles are in fairly decent supply, but almost all OEMs new are very few. It seems the brands that tend to have the most are foreign brands.
    I wonder how many of these delays are because of the container ship issues? I know a lot of it is due to trucking, but missing parts is a major issue. Now Canada isnt allowing unvaxxed truckers into Canada which is leading to significant fresh foods and vegetable issues North of the border. Things will get worse perhaps before they get better.

CaptainMusky

Ordered new dodge 12/28/21 and supposed to be at dealership 2/15/22

That’s awesome! That seems like a “normal” time table to me.

Lancons23

If anyone remembers (and I hope Im not too far off) back in the late 80’s into early 90’s if you wanted anything more than a stock/bare bones truck, you had to order it. I remember the first 2 trucks I bought new I had to wait a few months. Getting later into the 90’s is when it seems trucks were on lots and you went in and bought it (no ordering). Am I dreaming?

the_hat
    SE Metro

Yes, you are correct in your memory of days past. Used to be able to go right down the list of options, locks, windows, bench seat, buckets, wheels, whole works. The new version of ordering though is “packages”, have to over order to get one feature you want, which is BS. Currently going through this right now trying to buy the wife a new Pathfinder. Dealers seem to be able to pick and choose however right down to the each, but not the end buyer. More BS. Then they think they are doing me a favor by offering me the car at 5k over MSRP, yeah right. Keep talking……

trying times for sure.

mojogunter

For everyone’s information: Dodge hasn’t made a truck since 2009 they are a “Ram” since 2010 grin

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For everyone’s information: Dodge hasn’t made a truck since 2009 they are a “Ram” since 2010 grin

They are fiat, but don’t like being called that so they go by ram

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Last spring my son ordered a Chevy 1/2 ton with the baby dmax. It took many months for it to be delivered. They called him in and it didn’t have some of the options he had ordered. The said this is it or nothing. He told them to F-off and got his deposit back. They didn’t care. They knew someone else would buy it. He just went to another dealer, reordered and got back in line.

CaptainMusky

They called him in and it didn’t have some of the options he had ordered.

Didnt have the options at all or they just werent functioning? I was assured that if I ordered options the vehicle would come equipped properly, but some things like heated seats may not work, but they would eventually when parts came.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Last spring my son ordered a Chevy 1/2 ton with the baby dmax. It took many months for it to be delivered. They called him in and it didn’t have some of the options he had ordered. The said this is it or nothing. He told them to F-off and got his deposit back. They didn’t care. They knew someone else would buy it. He just went to another dealer, reordered and got back in line.

Good for him. It’s going to take a whole lot more consumers not accepting crap or partially completed products for the market to slowly turn. This reminds me of Pre-Covid when guys would put down money on boats without timing clauses and dealers/manufacturers in unison would have no incentives to deliver an adequate product on time. Then those who put down the money would come on here complaining without understanding they were the direct reason the problem was the “norm” in the first place.

Unfortunately consumers now are too vested in their “wants” and their “wants” have become “wants at any and all costs regardless of quality.”

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Didn’t have the options at all or they just weren’t functioning? I was assured that if I ordered options the vehicle would come equipped properly, but some things like heated seats may not work, but they would eventually when parts came.

In his case the truck didn’t have the technology package or towing mirrors. May have been more – not sure. They were two thing he really wanted. It seemed like they got this truck and tried to see if he would still buy it.

CaptainMusky

In his case the truck didn’t have the technology package or towing mirrors. May have been more – not sure. They were two thing he really wanted. It seemed like they got this truck and tried to see if he would still buy it.

Yeah, Id be pissed about that too and done the same thing. Now Im getting nervous because I too ordered those packages. I ordered a GMC and one of the key things I wanted was those mirrors because I cannot see around my boat otherwise. Previous trucks didnt have them. So I said Im getting them this time. With Chevy you can just order the mirrors for $370 but GMC I had to get package you mentioned. I dont really need that, but the surround vision will be nice for sure. Its slick because when you put the blinkers on the cameras in the mirror show the image along the side of the vehicle where the blinker is on.

Charles

Dumb question, I haven’t bought a new car before.

obviously you put a down payment on your truck, but are you paying the monthly payment for 6-8 months when you don’t even have it?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Awww. Just like the cute little cars?

[/quote]

Well that company bought the ram line. So I suppose. I still wouldn’t trade my “fiat” for one of those gm products

CaptainMusky

Dumb question, I haven’t bought a new car before.

obviously you put a down payment on your truck, but are you paying the monthly payment for 6-8 months when you don’t even have it?

I didnt put a penny down to order my truck. I didnt sign any papers and wont until it comes in. That would be when they do financing, etc. No payments until that time. You cannot get a loan without having a VIN for one and I certainly wouldnt be paying for something I wasnt driving.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sure wish they still built trucks with wing windows.

CaptainMusky

Provided they could make them where they didnt have wind noise. It was always fun having a bee or june bug hit that open window and hit you in the chest.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Along those lines, I’ve found out that my next company vehicle, a 2022 Colorado, does NOT have cruise control. And some people complain about not having heated seats and steering wheel,,,,

HRG

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.