Optimax motoers

• chappy
    Hastings, MN

The other Chappy is looking at buying a differnt boat and we don’t know a thing about Optimax motors. LOL
    Are they efficiant? How do you like the oil injection system? Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I had a 135 Opti. It ran great for me. The only issue I ever had was I burned up a wiring harness, but that wasn’t related to the motor.

The oil for a Opti is expensive and I recommend sticking with the stuff they recommend.

It’s a 2 stroke with the distinctive Opti “growl”. laugh

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

As Dutch said, they’ve got the opti growl, but if you don’t mind a little noise I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. I’ve owned 4 different Opti’s, the only issue was an air compressor on a 2007 175 which was under warranty. Otherwise, never touched any of them.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I currently run a 115 Opti and it has been good for me. Had coil fail and according to a tsb about taking out computers I replaced all with an updated part number. Other than that just add oil as needed and service like normal other wise.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I forgot to add………you absolutely have to let it warm up before hammering the throttle. I would start the motor when I tied off to the dock BEFORE parking the truck. Then I would piddle around a few minutes if nobody was waiting at the dock. If somebody was there I would back off and just sit idling on the water.

It has to be warmed up.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Running a 150 Opti sine 2008 – no issues. waytogo

-J.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run a 2008 115hp Opti on the fishing boat. It’s had a coil pack that went bad and nothing else. I do a ton of trolling with it as well (which I know isn’t probably its primary intended use) but it hasn’t given me issues whatsoever. I switch the plugs probably every 3rd season. I like to let it warm as others have said. I let it run for probably a minute at the dock/launch, then idle out to the channel in gear (probably 2 more minutes) before getting on the throttle.

As far as the oil goes, I switched it over to the AMSOIL synthetic injector oil when I got the boat. It has let me run the same plugs longer without fouling and gives off literally no fumes. I put on quite a few hours a year, and would say I go through maybe 2 full jugs of this oil per season, and crack into a third.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Well, I blew my 2016 Optimax ProXs up last year on LOTW. It was at just shy of 900 hours when it went. That being said, I put a new powerhead on it and it’s back to perfect again. I have nothing against the motor at all.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

As far as the oil goes, I switched it over to the AMSOIL synthetic injector oil when I got the boat. It has let me run the same plugs longer without fouling and gives off literally no fumes. I put on quite a few hours a year, and would say I go through maybe 2 full jugs of this oil per season, and crack into a third.

I wondered about switching the oil over to something else, but did not want to create issues, the few owners of the same engine run merc oil.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

I wondered about switching the oil over to something else, but did not want to create issues, the few owners of the same engine run merc oil.

I think the main thing is to run their recommended oil or something of similar/higher quality. I switched to the synthetic AMSOIL injector oil on the recommendation of my main mechanic. He recommended it based on having fewer fumes and being a little better concerning the plugs lifespan. If guys start lower quality stuff or oil that’s not meant for injectors…things could go south quickly. Whatever a guy chooses to use, I’d find a steady supplier so it’s readily available and accessible. This topic reminded me that I need to buy a couple jugs to replenish.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

To my knowledge, there’s only 2 oils you can run. The Mercury Optimax DFI, or the Quicksilver DFI oil. Do NOT run anything but one of these 2 oils.

Fresh off the Mercury Marine web site: (From back in 2010)

New Oil Recommendation for All OptiMax Engine Models
    Effective October 2010, Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil is the recommended oil for all OptiMax models – including Pro XS. (The previous recommendation stated the use of Mercury Premium Plus 2-Cycle Outboard Oil in ProXS models and OptiMax oil in non-ProXS models.)

OptiMax / DFI oil is a superior oil when compared to the Premium Plus oil. While both products are high quality 2-cycle engine oils suitable for use in OptiMax engines, the OptiMax / DFI oil contains a higher percentage of additives that reduce carbon deposit formation.

Over time, under normal operating conditions, carbon deposits accumulate in the power cylinder (piston, cylinder head, liners). In most cases the carbon deposits do not create a problem, but carbon deposits that form on the piston – particularly behind the piston rings and piston skirts – can reduce engine life and performance.

OptiMax / DFI oil is specially formulated to prevent the carbon deposits from forming. It also does a better job of reducing existing carbon deposits than the Premium Plus oil. Going forward, the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty manuals for OptiMax outboards will recommend Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil to help maximize engine life and performance.

Operation, Maintenance and Warranty and Service manuals are in the process of being updated and will contain the following:

Oil Recommendation

Recommended Oil Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle Engine Oil

Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle Engine Oil is recommended for your engine. If Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle Engine Oil is not available, we recommend using Mercury or Quicksilver TC-W3 Premium Plus 2-Cycle Oil. Severe engine damage may result from use of an inferior oil.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

I ran a 150 Optimax from 1998-2018. Well over 800 hours.
    It was a great motor.
    Very fuel efficient.

As long as the motor is in fine running condition now, no reason not to buy it.

As others have said:
    Use the recommended oil.
    Treat the gasoline as well.
    Let the motor warm up before leaving the dock.

It also helps to have a working relationship with a knowledgeable Optimax Tech.

Gitchi Gummi

Ran a 2001 Opti 225 from 2008ish-2020ish and it was a work horse. No issues other than normal maintenance. As others have said, I always used the recommended Merc Opti oil. It was a great motor and I wouldn’t think twice about running one again.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I ran a 150 Optimax from 1998-2018. Well over 800 hours.
    It was a great motor.
    Very fuel efficient.

As long as the motor is in fine running condition now, no reason not to buy it.

As others have said:
    Use the recommended oil.
    Treat the gasoline as well.
    Let the motor warm up before leaving the dock.

It also helps to have a working relationship with a knowledgeable Optimax Tech.

Eddie Lybeck is your guy there.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I have a 1999 200hp Optimax. Last year was my first year with it so I don’t have much for history on it. I know it’s one of the generations that coined the name “OptiPop”, so I’m proceeding with caution. So far it seems to run nice, definitely has a growl. I ran the Merc oil in it last year, but just added a gallon of Lucas 2-cycle synthetic to it this last weekend. Merc oil was $50/gal and Lucas was $30. Maybe I’ll regret pinching pennies, but I think that other $20 is the cost of labeling it a Merc product. We’ll see!

Matt Vogel

Check hours on the motor, it is apparently quite common for compressor to go out between 600-800 hours. I had mine go out last year at 588. After researching I learned that it is common once it gets to that point. Other than that no complaints at all.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Check hours on the motor, it is apparently quite common for compressor to go out between 600-800 hours. I had mine go out last year at 588. After researching I learned that it is common once it gets to that point. Other than that no complaints at all.

Curious. How do you know when the compressor goes out?

-J.

Matt Vogel

It sounds like there is a bird stuck in your engine chirping away! I used to have a video of it that I could post but I think I deleted it.

Matt Vogel

Also, you want to shut down ASAP as you can send metal shards all through your fuel lines if you continue running, then it’s not just a compressor you have to replace.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good to know. Thanks!

-J.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I’m at around 350, so with any luck I’ll get a few more years out of it.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Thanks all

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I ran a 150 Opti from 2003-2021. I did replace the compressor somewhere in the early 2000’s. I changed plugs, oil (Amsoil), lower unit lube and water pump. Something no one has mentioned is that I thought my 2 stroke fuel injected was very good on gas! Lots of power for fishing and family activities. I also always let it warm up. I’ve heard some stories about the early 200hp+ having a power head issue but have no proof.

Good luck and good fishing!
    Shannon

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I ran a 150 Opti from 2003-2021. I did replace the compressor somewhere in the early 2000’s. I changed plugs, oil (Amsoil), lower unit lube and water pump. Something no one has mentioned is that I thought my 2 stroke fuel injected was very good on gas! Lots of power for fishing and family activities. I also always let it warm up. I’ve heard some stories about the early 200hp+ having a power head issue but have no proof.

Good luck and good fishing!
    Shannon

Yes! I forgot to mention that, my 225 is pretty good on fuel compared to other large 4 stroke motors. The guy who sold me the boat a year and a half ago said his new one has a 4 stroke pro xs and it uses way more gas.

Clarence Chapman

Thanks all for the comments. See a lot of them on the boats I am surveying.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Chappy,

My uncle runs a 150 opti and loves it. Says it is very good on gas for a 2 stroke.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

What’s a compressor cost? Maybe worth just changing it out at the higher hours before it happens.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.