Opinions on Evinrude E-Tec

• mojo

I’m aware that Evinrude is being eliminated, and I have seen several posts here and elsewhere stating that the E-Tec motors seem to have issues. Or maybe it’s just brand-bashing, I can’t tell. There may be a good deal available on a boat with a 2014 E-Tec 150, and I wanted to get thoughts from IDO.
    If they do have issues, what are they? Is the 150 known to have issues? Would you consider buying a boat with that motor out of warranty?
    Are there any E-Tec 150 owners who would share their opinions? Firsthand reviews are helpful, but I’d like to hear from all with knowledge before I pursue this opportunity.

Ice Cap

Can’t offer you much other than to say my neighbor down the road at the lake has a 150 E Tec and the cover is off the motor more than it’s on it. I’m sure you will get some direct experience responses.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

As you know like with any brand you here good and bad, my only concern would be how available are parts and service going to be if you are going to keep it long term.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

You don’t normally discontinue a good quality stable product. There are a lot of “good” deals on boats with e-tecs out there because they have e-tecs hanging on the back of them. Hearing from 2-3 people isn’t going to give you enough data to make an educated decision, just something to help you feel better with your choice. The boat may be perfect for you or the worst decision you ever make, only you can be the judge of that, just too many unknown factors. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

The last Johnson/Evinrude I owned was a 1977 model.

I have had Mercury and Yamaha since.
    (I know, I know, I am part of the problem causing the demise of the brand.)

However, I really hope that someone takes over the brand and revives Evinrude.

I understand that this is more of a sentimental thought and not based on a real world financial opportunity.

Ron F
    Rochester MN

My 2013 E-Tec 150 has been perfect. I love it’s low end torque. This past weekend I was pulling up slalom skiers while having four people in my 1850 Ranger.

That said I don’t know that I would buy it today given the news about Evinrude. I wish I had a crystal ball regarding how well they will keep up the parts supply.

RT
    Twin Cities

I had owned several Yamahas before my current Evinrude Etec 200 HO. I never thought I’d ever say this, but I like my Evinrude more than any Yamaha I’ve owned (carb, efi, HPDI, 4-stroke). It’s nearly as quiet as the bigger Yamaha 4-strokes I’ve owned, better on gas and oil than the HPDI, and better on gas than the 4-stroke. Maybe I’ve got a unicorn, but I love my Etec. With that being said, I’d have no problem going back to Yamaha or even try sampling Merc’s new V8 4-stroke.

Not sure where you live, but before you buy I’d check with your local reputable Evinrude dealer to ensure they’ll continue servicing them for the foreseeable future.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I have 2010 E Tec 150 it has been bullet prove all these years until the Mice made a home in it last winter. They raised hell with it chewing of wires etc. . . rrr

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Every brand can and will have its issues. My brother in-law just had the #3 cylinder scratched to the point of needing a new head on a 2019 Suzuki 4 stroke. Many love them but he had this failure at ~50 hours.

The Etec issues are out there and with the discontinuing I’d first use it to my advantage. If maintenance was done and hours are relatively low, I wouldn’t hesitate to still purchase one. However, it’d have to be at a discount.

Ripjiggen

As long as you have a reputable service center around I would not worry to much about parts. My 2010 has had very little issues and it has been run hard. I stopped and talked to my evinrude guys at their service center this weekend as I was in the area. They do not currently see any issues going forward with parts any time soon. Their are a lot of them out there and people are not just going to throw them away and repower.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

When you have to offer a 10 year warranty to try to sell motors and then go belly up I’d say that should be all a fella needs to know to make a decision.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

While we do not sell evinrude, we do take several on trade and can communicate, there have been very few issues with the 150s.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

truth be told, that motor will ”probably” last a lifetime with zero to low issues.

My first question would be, who in the area could or would be able to fix if you had issues.

Call around and see if these businesses exist near where you keep the boat.

My last hesitation would be what happens in 10-20 years from now. My Mercury motor has been flawless for almost 15 years but it’s nice to know some can still fix it should it break down. If no other company picks ups the e-tec motor, how you gonna find parts? Again, the issues generally won’t be happening now, but in 10-15 years…

B-man

When you have to offer a 10 year warranty to try to sell motors and then go belly up I’d say that should be all a fella needs to know to make a decision.

^^^^^ This

I’ve had buddies with E-Tecs, they’ve all had major problems. One of them blew up two G1 150’s….

Beast

I had a buddy buy a new boat with a E-Tec, after a month he was back at the dealer telling him to get that piece of crap off his boat and strap on a Yamaha, he’s been happy ever since.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

My 2005 Etec 225 gave me years of service. Over 1,200 hours. Bombardier never really embraced Evinrude, notice that they didn’t design a 4 stroke. Parts and service will be out there for years. Our recent national economic problems gave them the excuse to discontinue it. Their market share was so low that it really dint matter much to them anyways.

tim hurley

Dealer I bought from is certified E-tec and Yami- Salespeople and mechanics all prefer…..drum roll……wait for it…. Yamaha

mojo

I appreciate all the feedback. The deal didn’t turn out to be as sweet as what I was told it would be, so E-Tec didn’t even play into it, and sounds like the seller had interest from other parties, so I passed on it.
    Thanks for the help.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.