Old Magazines

• Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Try not to make this too long. My folks owned a resort on Lake Miltona for 20+ years in the 70’s through late 90’s. There was a regional magazine put out called Sports and Rec that my dad wrote the fishing report for. He passed away last year and I found he kept pretty much every copy of the magazine (plus copies of a few other magazines like outdoor life etc). Anyway I have a few tubs of all these magazines and I’m looking for ideas of what to do with them. I know they can always go to recycle bin, just wondering if anyone would have a better idea…. thank!

Jimmy Jones

I’d read them. Over time of course, but this is what your Dad knew and wrote about.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Another post where your profile should include location. Come on guys at least put in your state if you don’t want to let anyone know a more precise location. Sorry though, never heard of that magazine, and I’m almost as old as paper.

CaptainMusky

Since he said lake miltona I think its safe bet it was by Alexandria.

Ben K.

I’d pull a few of the best covers off and all of his fishing reports and frame them together. Would make a great heirloom and tribute.

Baitwaster
    South metro

I’d hold on to the ones dad’s articles are in – divest the rest.

If you don’t necessarily want the ones your dad’s articles are in – would other family members be interested?

At very minimum – I’d scan then in or digital pic before getting rid of them…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’d pull a few of the best covers off and all of his fishing reports and frame them together. Would make a great heirloom and tribute.

Thats a cool idea.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d scan in Dad’s articles and anything else of interest, keep a digitized copy, and if I had some time, put together a Shutterfly book of them.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Thanks for the ideas! I have picked out a few that hold special memories or pictures. I like the idea of framing them. We are talking around 100 magazines so there is quite a few!

I added my location….sorry for not doing so when I joined, I visit this site daily, but don’t post too much…. yet, retiring in July..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks for the ideas! I have picked out a few that hold special memories or pictures. I like the idea of framing them. We are talking around 100 magazines so there is quite a few!

I added my location….sorry for not doing so when I joined, I visit this site daily, but don’t post too much…. yet, retiring in July..

Did you know any Schulz or Zastros? My wife is from that area and era.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I know some zastros. A couple real hard headed guys.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Yep I knew Zastros and some Schultz kids…

Riverrat

You could decopauge(?) the articles and pictures onto some wood furniture and epoxy over them. Would make for some cool cabin furniture. After scanning them so you can keep dads full articles to read. Or same thing but with a bar top.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Heck, you’re a neighbor! Btown here too.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I donate my In-Fishermen, AQHA, and RC modelers magazines to the local library, they tell me the kids really like them and take them all.

orve4

Grew up inbetween Alex and Brainerd New some Schultz and Zastros as well. Grew up walleye fishing Miltona with my dad.

isu22andy

I donate my In-Fishermen, AQHA, and RC modelers magazines to the local library, they tell me the kids really like them and take them all.

I was one of those kids not long ago thank you for sharing .

deertracker

You could decopauge(?) the articles and pictures onto some wood furniture and epoxy over them. Would make for some cool cabin furniture. After scanning them so you can keep dads full articles to read. Or same thing but with a bar top.

That was my thought. Cut out all of the articles, make a collage on a bar top and epoxy over.
    DT

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Thanks again for all the ideas, I like the thought of donating what I don’t use to the library. Maybe the hospital also or some of the after school kids places? Gives me some avenues to check out!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

If anyone lives around the Brainerd area and has a son or daughter, that would like them, I have an almost complete set of in fisherman‘s, and walleye insiders that I would give away. There’s no way anyone could afford getting them shipped to them, that box weighs a lot. I watched them sometimes on eBay people trying to get anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars per issue and it seems like they never sell.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.