North Lake Topo Map?

• Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

Hey everybody,

I am thinking about hiking into South and North Lake in an attempt to ice my first lake trout. However, despite all of my attempts, I have been unable to find the topography of North Lake. The Navionics app shows me South Lake, but there is nothing for North Lake. Does anyone know where I can find something that shows depth contours.

On a related note, I have two additional questions about this adventure.
    -Am I able to use an auger on these lakes? It looks like North is only partially in the BWCA.
    -Do I need to get a permit to do winter camping up here?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I don’t know those lakes but a few things about BWCA.

Yes to a permit if you enter. If day use you’re supposed to fill one out but it doesn’t cost anything. Overnights you’re supposed to pay as well. Seems I sometimes forget this in the winter but that’s a personal choice. BWCA Wilderness regs only apply if you’re inside the boundaries.

No to an auger is my understanding even if the lake allows 25hp motors. Can’t find it right now but pretty sure I read that a month or so back.

Have you looked a the DNR lakefinder for additional info on those lakes? I don’t think I’ve ever not found one. Maps are often not hyper accurate but still in the ballpark.

Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

Hey Pat,

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the DNR site. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lake.html?id=16033100. In fact that is why I am more interested in North than South as the latest survey for South does not show as many fish as North. North has walleye and lake trout whereas South only has Lakers. Also the sizes run a little bigger on North. However both surveys are over 20 years old, so a lot can change.

I have been using this article as my primary resource for these lakes: <a http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_trout-fishing_mn_0108_01/, and have just now emailed the author. I am hoping that he will have a good suggestion.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

North lake is actually not inside the BWCA wilderness line, power augers should be usable there but it is best to call the gun flint ranger station to confirm this. You will have to enter via Gunflint Lake and fish the US side. If you plan on fishig the Canadian side PM me. You do not need a permit unless you enter South Lake. If you are entering the BWCA between October 1st and April 30th there is no charge, fill out a day use permit at the entry point and select the after season overnight option. If you will be entering between May 1 – Sept 30 you will need to secure and pay for a permit for your entry point from http://www.recreation.gov for the day of entry.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

If you don’t want to have to hike in anywhere send me a pm. My groups have been getting multiple lakers right next to our trucks in Ely.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Just to clear a few other things up. If a lake is partially in the BWCA, the regulations only apply to the portion inside the wilderness line. Areas outside the wilderness line do not Fall under BWCA regs. IE: Snowbank Lake, you can drive a truck or snowmobile and use a power auger outside the line, but not inside the line.

mnjedman
    NULL

I fish North often in the summer but not on ice yet. I always come in through little gunflint. North is part in Canada and part in the US. If you have a passport, remote border pass and a Canadian fishing license, you can fish all the way to the east end. If it is your first time getting a Canadian license, you also need an Ontario Outdoors card.
    I have looked everywhere and can not find a topo map for that lake. It would be a great lake to try out auto chart.

Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

Thanks for the note. I did find that the fisher map with very rough topo (lines every 20′). I never did get onto North Lake, though if I go back up there, it might be where I base myself in the future. South produced a lot of fish (I was catching them about 1/hr once figured out a pattern) however, they were smaller (18-21″) and without the use of a power auger, it is a real pain to scout new spots. Since I can use an auger on North and the antequated DNR survey (from 1995) shows bigger fish (and the possibility of a big walleye), I would prefer to fish North. Also, you can get onto North with a snowmobile while hiking into South requires a steep and icy portage from Topper.

I will be up that way again around the fourth of July. Might scout North when I am up there this next time. I have the recreation card from Ontario as I did a Quetico trip a few years back, so the remote border crossing will not be an issue if I plan well enough ahead.

-Mike

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

RABC’s are only about $30 and they’re good for a year. It is worth it to get one every year just in case, that way you can make split second decisions to go in and catch big lakers and walleyes!

mnjedman
    NULL

If you get into North this summer. Just out from the portage are 3 small islands. Fish the south side of the eastern most island. Maybe 100 meters off the island. It’s a great spot for lake trout and big pike, when it gets warm.

The middle island has a nice bench site which the local guides take advantage of for shore lunches. The shoreline looks like a skeleton grave yard, from all the fillets.

Good luck !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.