Nils Master USA Company

• Joe Shock
    Holcombe Flowage, Wisconsin

Ordered a New Nils 6″ Trekker and a 14″ extension direct from Brian Casavant of Nils Master USA last winter. My nightmare’s started not long after usage with my cordless drill. First to go wrong was the drill adapter piece broke. Brian Casavant of Nils when called just happened to have “ONE” new one left and was shipped to me. Brian said their job shop Welders had received later than normal orders on this piece, hence a inner weld was missing or not done on some of the drill adapters(hmm…does my replacement have a missing weld too???) Secondly, I go to put on my 14″ extension and practically had to get a bearing or pully puller to seperate my main extension to fit in the 14″ extension. So, Brian Casavant of Nils excuses for this were some over spray paint had happened on my model and the tube wall thickness wasn’t to specks. Okay fine, finally with my dad helping and block and tackle were able to get it apart. Thirdly, Nils uses Wing Nuts and Bolts to fasten together there auger sections, drill adapters and blades. Yeah, you should check tightness after every use, but I was told again by Brian Casavant of Nils Masters USA. that when your drill a hole the Wing Nuts/Bolts are designed to self tighten!!! Hmm..I drilled some holes and went to drill another and no blades!!! Over a $60 part to re-order from Nils. Good thing I found my blade section half way down the hole before using some anglers underwater camera to search for it in 18 feet of water! Fourthly, and still hadn’t drilled many hole’s with my new setup and go to drill a hole and the main auger section isn’t spinning. Then inner weld on that section breaks. So call Brian Casavant again who won’t speak to me at this point or reply back to my emails, finally tells me I’ll have to wait until September 2018 till Nils Masters “NEW” and “IMPROVED” auger will be available to receive my main replacement.auger section.

At this point I requested a full refund under the Nils Warranty(Attached) and gladly ship my “NEW” and obviously defective Nils 6″ Trekker and 14″ extension back to Nils Master USA, granted they pay for shipping because I already paid for it once when I ordered the auger. Brian Casavant of NIls told me they couldn’t do that and under their Warranty they can only send me the “NEW” and “IMPROVED” main auger section. WTF???? Sorry my abbreviations, but that’s not what my Warranty Card clearly State’s(#2 on Warranty Card). If I had bought it from a retailer, a retailer would of gladly taken the auger back and refunded me my purchase price.

September 2018 has come and gone now. September 4th I sent Brian Casavant of Nils Master USA, VA and email again asking for a full refund and no reply ever came back yet. Two days later I sent another and final email to Nils Masters USA, VA and still never got a reply back even though Brian Casavant and one other are the only people who work for Nils Master USA. Nils Augers are all Job Shopped out and made else where. I don’t think Brian Casavant and his counterpart even assemble, package and ship Nils products out.

So what are my options now to get a full refund for my defective Nils Auger? Maybe that main Auger section will show up before needing my auger, but what about my blades now that are dull because the rest of the auger failed at time’s during limited usage? Two weeks ago I filed a complaint with the BBB that covers those eastern states and NIls Master USA replied back to them with a section of their Warranty, failing to show the BBB #2 on my Warranty Card, that this was the way Nils Limited 2 year Warranty operates and replaces defective parts up to a 2 years and that my experiences with my “NEW” NIls 6″ Trekker Auger was due to improper usage. WTF??? Sorry again for my abbreviation, but how can miss welds and obviously poor weld jobs done by Nils welders be “IMPROPER USAGE” on my behalf? The BBB is a joke also, never contact them because they don’t protect or side with the Consumer.

Any positive feedback would be appreciated. I don’t know what I can do from this point. Last Spring I thought about filing a Small Claims and after finding out what it cost to do so, figured even if I would win a Small Claims, I would be out of money on the deal. Hire a Lawyer? Hmm..more money that I don’t have to get one. If anybody thinks I’m in the wrong about my individual experience with my Nils Auger, call the store manger of Marine General in Duluth, MN and ask him how many of their customers returned Nils Ice Augers last Winter.

Attachments:
    1. Nils1.jpeg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Bummer. Glad I got an older Nils auger that I wouldn’t trade for anything…just the sharpening part is a bummer.

As far as court costs, don’t the loosing parties typically pay?

Joe Shock

That’s if they would loose or settle out of court.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You can win in small claims court but the company or business doesn’t have to pay. You then file a judgement against them.

Post your story on Walleye Central, Muskie First and any other web sites you can find. Hopefully you can apply enough bad publicity that they contact you and make it right. Just be 100% certain of any facts and claims you make. Make sure they would hold up in court.

Good luck.

Joe Shock

That’s what I’ve been doing most of the day. Reaching out to Social Media, forums, etc…I rather have potential consumers know my story with Nils Masters when it come’s time for them to purchase a new auger.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yup bad reviews and spreading the word is a good way to get noticed. Knowing companies with bad customer service and crap out on warranty issues makes me not buy from them.

MnPat1

So you didn’t tighten the nuts and it’s someone else’s fault…….is it possible that you got the auger stuck or frozen in a hole and broke it?

Definitely buy your augers from a local dealer. Nils are available at Cabela’s, marine general and a few other retailers.

I have a 6” and 8” nils and the Tanaka powerhead. The only time I had a problem was when I drilled a partial hole and left in in there to freeze.

Joe Shock

Re-read my original post. If you did you’d know the Wing Nuts and Bolts loosening up wasn’t the main issues I had with my new Nils. If you bought a brand new truck and the manufacture had forgot to put engine oil in your motor or forgot to put the engine in it all together to make it run, wouldn’t you want a different new truck or your money back? No difference in what I’m going thru with Nils Master USA and the new auger I paid for last year ordering directly from them.

Lot of people order direct from the manufacture versus buying on the retail market. Warranties should apply the same regardless who you buy from!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

1. It sounds like the product is a piece of garbage and for that, I’m sorry. Spending money on garbage sucks.

2. #2 on the warranty card that you’re referring to clearly states that they have the sole discretion whether to repair or replace. And that refund will only happen if they determine they’re unable to repair or replace. They haven’t made that determination, hence you’re not getting a refund.

I’m not saying that’s right or wrong, but that’s the warranty you have.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve never bought into the Nils hype. Their blades dull extremely fast, and can only drill through the purest of ice without dulling the blades or having issues. K-Drills are more versatile, lighter, and have free sharpening. I’m not sure why Nils would be anyone’s choice to put on an electric drill.

Thank you for sharing. Unless consumers get their stories out using the power of social media, quality will not change. Share everywhere until you see results!

404 ERROR
    MN

New Nils products are a shell of what they once were, similar to Clam…I’m fortunate enough to have a few older blades and bits on hand and they work flawlessly. The original powerpoint blades are amazing and worth every dang penny. Once they wear out, I’ll be buying something else. I have an 8″ bit that has been on a powerhead since 2007 and it has had a small crack in a weld since about 2009 and still works great.

You might be just better off cobbling it together to make it work or just cut your losses…sorry.

Joe Shock

I agree Mexican Eagle, like the Solo engines made in Germany or old quality motors that were designed to be flawless for years providing you do your pre-maintenance.

As far as the Warranty #2 I attached it to this post in reference to my posting and in regards to what Nils replied back to the BBB about my complaint. I still don’t see if I wanted a full refund for my defective auger I probably would of gotten one if I went thru a retailer on my purchase(unless the retailer is fully aware of Nils Warranties and won’t take returns) and why Nils has been so reluctant after all the issues I’ve had with my new auger from the start of using it, why they just wouldn’t grant me a full refund or offer me a whole new auger in replacement. Plus when my auger broke twice, Nils never asked for the broken parts back for inspection. They knew they had sent me a auger that would eventually break. Hence, they never requested for me to send back the main extension when that broke(inner weld broke) and said they would replace it in September of 2018. It’s October and no replacement has shown up on my door step!!! Nils intern tells the BBB that they told me new replacements would be available sometime in the Fall of 2018. Yeah right!!!How can Nils default from what their Warranty says on it if they don’t even want broken or defective parts back for them to inspect to determine if it fall under their Warranty sayings??? With that said, they should have Lawsuits filed against them for failure to follow thru with their Warranty Policies.

Am I a liar in stating that most companies, businesses and manufacture’s of products don’t operate these days such as Nils Masters USA has done with me? I was appalled at the reply given to BBB from Nils Masters that the issues with my new auger were the results from improper usage. WTH??????

404 ERROR
    MN

New avatar photo?

Attachments:
    1. ME.jpg

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

The product/company bashing isn’t really appreciated gentlemen. Sheds a negative light on the ice fishing industry as whole. Lets try to be more positive and move the sport forward rather then holding it back with your sour banter. Ice fishing is a hardcore sport which means equipment breaks! Low Temperatures, rough and bumpy ice conditions, dirty ice, bumpy rides on the snow machines, etc. all play a role in equipment breaking down with ANY brand of ice gear. Realize that and move on with your life.

jld
    Holmen

No offense Matt but how is this shedding a bad light on the fishing industry? If you can’t get a straight answer from a company on a faulty product what should he do? Sit back and say oh, well there is a couple hundred dollars down the drain. I think any person is going to fight to get a resolution to their issue. I agree, if the product has been abused, used in the incorrect manner or gone thru a season or two of use he has no claim but this sounds like an issue right out of the box.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

there are a lot of industries that are rough on their equipment and that doesn’t create an excuse for the product not to work. Nils is in the business of producing equipment for cold conditions their product should reflect that capability. Regardless, to me this post reads more about a companies commitment to customer service and their dealings with the customer and less about bashing the product. That’s what stands out to me at least. Any company can produce a faulty product and be forgiven so long as they treat the customer properly and make it right

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Any company can produce a faulty product and be forgiven so long as they treat the customer properly and make it right

applause well said

Joe Shock

Matt B.,

This isn’t product bashing at all. Tell me you never bought anything “New” and never returned it from where you bought it from? In my case I gave Nils the benefit of the doubt with a number of issues I had with my new auger regardless if it’s product being used in adverse weather condition’s. I’ve had a Jiffy Power Auger of my Dads built back in the 60’s than I ran up to 7 years ago without few normal issues over that course of time from being new.

I spent over $270 just for a new hand auger and 14″ extension that I was able to use with my Cordless Drill a handful of time’s between different sections of it breaking due to Nils Jobs Shops missing inner welds and poor quality welds. That’s a costly purchase for any Ice Fishing Angler just to sit back and take the good with the bad. I sat the majority of the rest of my 2018 ice fishing season with my without my Nils Cordless Drill set up because it was unusable.

Those Clam Bibs your wearing in your profile picture would of leaked, blew out the crotch upon first time wearing or the shoulder strap failed, your not going to to return them??? And if where you bought them from won’t replace them or give you a full refund of the purchase price, your just going sit back and say to yourself that your going to bite the bullet of your hard earned money and not buy Clam products anymore based on that experience, Warranty or no Warranty??? Plus, keep that self experience with your Clam Bibs all to your personal self and not say anything to other’s so they can know when it come’s time to them purchasing any Clam Products that their not aware of what happened to you in your experience with your Clam Bibs???

Matt B., Consumers report on Products and their manufacture’s all the time. There wouldn’t be places for consumers to go to if there wouldn’t be sources to review a product(s) before a consumer making a purchase.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

1. It sounds like the product is a piece of garbage and for that, I’m sorry. Spending money on garbage sucks.

2. #2 on the warranty card that you’re referring to clearly states that they have the sole discretion whether to repair or replace. And that refund will only happen if they determine they’re unable to repair or replace. They haven’t made that determination, hence you’re not getting a refund.

I’m not saying that’s right or wrong, but that’s the warranty you have.

x2. I would email them all the social media venues you are posting this story, and explain that you are still waiting on the replacement they offered you in September. Even the best products have lemons every once in a while, how the company reacts to that failure is where they show their stripes. Matt is pro staff for Nils, so perhaps he can help you get some closure…

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Joe has been due to receive a replacement for the failed part as soon as Nils gets it.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Joe has been due to receive a replacement for the failed part as soon as Nils gets it.

Starting to sound an awful lot like Matt has a little connection to Nils. coffee

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Sorry Matt, but people should be bashing Nils.

Nils = Poor Product

Nils = Poor Customer Service

Nils = Should get their S*** together if they don’t want to be bashed on outdoor sites and social media.

Giving companies a pass for poor customer service and faulty products is the worst thing you can do. Call companies out on their faults, create competition, demand quality, and consumers win.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I thought that this was the exact place to bring a complaint that has fallen on deaf ears. There has been many times that this is the FIRST place I go to research a product or a resort or anything outdoors related. If we can give each other the heads up on a bad product, isn’t that part what we come here for? I’ve saved myself numerous headaches and time by listening to the people here.

Joe Shock

Regardless of the past few reply’s Gentlemen, I ordered my Auger thru a Nils Pro Staffer and used their discount code. So Matt being a Nils Pro Staffer and knowing my Nils issues is just being non-compliant to my original posting. The Pro Staffer I know couldn’t suggest any solutions for my problems with Nils Master USA and Brian Casavant because they want to continue on with their Sponsorship and I can’t blame them or Matt B. Sponsors are hard to get when you take your passion to a different level.

In my case with Nils Master USA, they never asked for my broken parts/sections back, hence doesn’t comply with what their Warranty says. Nils Master USA just sends me new replacements parts. Is anyone to blind to see the discrepancy I’ve been dealing with and my complaints about how Nil Master USA under their own Warranty is abusing my consumer rights? What does any of those who have commented so far in regards to being a Pro Staffer have to do with my case/issue’s with Nils Master USA to begin with?

Matt B., Nils Master USA(Brian Casavant) apparently lies to you also. You want proof? I’m sure I have a few saved emails from Brian C. stating my new main extension would be coming in September. And besides that, Nils should of asked for both my broken Drill Adapter and broken Main Auger extension for inspection but they didn’t because I’m sure they knew all to well what was wrong in the building of my new auger they had sent me. Sure, send back your Clam Bibs(made up story) and Clam will send you a new pair. Well Nils Master USA didn’t want my broken auger back and didn’t send me a new one or grant me a full refund of my original purchase price under their Warranty. So I should just be happy with you went inquired on your behalf as a Pro Staff Member to Brian Casavant probably today and found out I’ll will still be getting my replacement part sometime or whenever? Geez, thanks a lot for the inquire, but I’m going to continue with my story about Nils Master USA and the way they have treated me on my new Nils Ice Auger like it or not so consumers that do their research before buying any Nils Masters USA products can be informed.

I won’t be happy til or if Nils Master USA ever will refund me my original purchase price. Fine if they want to honor and send me a so-called “NEW” and “IMPROVED” main auger extension. Why are they “NEW” and “IMPROVED”? Was their something wrong with the old building of the 6″ Trekker Models to begin with??? Does everybody commenting/replying back to my issue’s with Nils Master USA tend to agree to disagree given my statements and facts?

I did my research before buying my Nils Auger, loved the way it performed and cut, gave others my recommendation to buy one. Obviously and knowing Nils Master USA sent me a “LEMON”, shouldn’t I have the right as a Consumer buying a used car from a dealer that falls under the Lemon Law and is a lemon, the same right in this case of my “NEW” Nils ice auger to have the choice of a new auger or a full refund being Nils never asked for my broken parts back for inspection to determine if I was eligible for a full refund? Am I in the right or am I in the wrong? I’m sure someone will reply back that I’m in the wrong and tell me just be happy that sometime hear in the near future Nils Master USA will be sending my “NEW” and “IMPROVED” main auger replacement that upon using the auger again as a whole will more than likely break again because the “OLD” Drill Adapter that was replaced will probably fail again because of a missing inner weld and my Nils 6″ Trekker Ice Auger story goes on!

“GOOD GRIEF”(a.k.a. quote Charlie Brown)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

In my case with Nils Master USA, they never asked for my broken parts/sections back, hence doesn’t comply with what their Warranty says. Nils Master USA just sends me new replacements parts. Is anyone to blind to see the discrepancy I’ve been dealing with and my complaints about how Nil Master USA under their own Warranty is abusing my consumer rights?

Let me start by saying I agree you should receive either a new product, or your money refunded. However, as the warranty clearly states it is up to their sole discretion, so “consumer rights” is not applicable, and I’m not sure where you got such a term from. As you previously stated, they have offered to replace it, so I would be pursuing that and trying to get a delivery date confirmed. As of right now they are 10 days late on their September 2018 delivery date, which isn’t the end of the world imo, when ice is still a long way off. Also, as the warranty states they only ask for you to return the item if they are refunding your money, and they’ve apparently made clear they plan to replace it. Finally, none of this is to say I think Nils handled this well, or makes me confident to purchase their products in the future. Good luck, hope you get your replacement asap!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

jeez Joe, I think most on here were agreeing with you…maybe there’s some anger issues going on with you and Nils.

I’d be pizzed to!

Joe Shock

BigWerm and Bob, I was beyond upset and over it a longtime ago. Being my issue’s hasn’t been resolved as of September lead me to push the issue to the BBB and to the consumer.

BigWerm, I’m composing part of #2 as I read my Nils Warranty Card; “Konsaku Oy shall refund the purchase price for such a Product, provided that the Subject product(1) is returned to Nils Master USA, Inc. with a two year warranty period, and (11) is accompanied by a proof of purchase in the form of blah, blah, etc…”

What #2 also says on the Nils Warranty before my composition part of #2 of the Nils Warranty clear tells me if Nils is unable to replace or repair my auger, then Nils shall refund.

Nils for one, never asked or wanted my Auger Drill Adapter when it broke and just sent me a possibly to find out if defective, another one that happen to be the last one Brian Casavant told me he had left sitting in his office at the time. Secondly, when my main auger section broke I was told by Brian Casavant that I would have to wait until September of 2018 to get a replacement because Nils didn’t have any left in stock. So there I sit with a new Nils Auger in the middle of my Ice Fishing Season that is completely useless to me. So you tell me the way the Nils Warranty States that their being totally legit when Nils from the beginning never asked for any of my broken auger parts back or to return to even consider giving me a refund I requested over and over again? How can Nils determine I should receive a full refund if they don’t have my broken auger and part to look at for themselves? As I stated many of time’s, I’m sure Nils was aware of the new 6″ Trekker Ice Auger they had sent me and the issue’s I would face because it was manufactured out of their normal manufacturing dates to fill rushed and overdue orders to other retailers and consumers.

Joe Shock

With that last reply to all of you who have participated in replying, the previous reply from me will be my last. I’ll continue to leave my original post up for other’s to read and view. I’m not one to carry on with this subject/issues I have with Nils Master USA and my 6″ Trekker Ice Auger I order from them. I just wanted to be heard and will continue to be heard thru Social Media Websites, Fishing Forums, word of mouth, etc.. for Consumer Awareness and dealing with Nils Master USA.

I will no longer reply back to readers of my original post on In-Depth Outdoors unless I feel necessary to do so. Thanks to all who have supported my thoughts and actions I have placed in regards to Nils Masters USA, Inc.

Joe Shock
    Holcombe, WI.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.