Nils Master USA Company

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Let me start off by saying that it’s unfortunate that Nils can’t give you what you paid for. That sucks and is sumetimes unavoidable from a customers perspective no matter how well you research the product. I give you props for attempting to resolve it with him directly first.

On the other hand, there seems to be tons of bad reviews of bad product and worse customer service dating back as far as 2010 if you do a simple google search.

So Joe, what lessons were learned from all this?

I surely hope this wasn’t just getting something off your chest in hopes to deter customers from Nils. Doesn’t seem worth it in my opinion. Some will say it helps them sleep at night but in reality they’re just playing the helpless victim only to be victimized again next time.

I don’t intend to put you down in any way I only hope to show you that you’ll feel a whole lot better walking away from this with as much benefit as you can rather than just gratification. Sharing your experience is good to help others as long as it’s 100% honest.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Didn’t think you were gonna get therapy sessions here on IDO did ya Joe!

Now tell us, how do you really feel? hah

Glad we have outlets online in which to share your experience. Some people jump the gun on companies, others can’t stop beating the dead horse, seems you found that sweet spot with explanation, little venting, and now let it go. Kudos.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If have to agree it’s a pretty good sign a product is crap when they offer to replace or refund without inspecting the damage.

About 12 years ago I had a couple clam houses in a row where the zippers would rip. The customer service was great mail in the fabric logos cut off the house and they sent a new house the negative with it being that easy was that it seemed they expected them to break.

Joe Shock
    Holcombe Flowage, Wisconsin

I’m sure you would let it go after a year also on something you spent your hard earned money on, especially for fishing! As of today 11/27/2018, Nils Master USA has yet to send me the replacement part. So chew on my flavor of bubblegum for a while and tell me how you like it? Plus, Ice Fishing season is here in Wisconsin and good thing I have a spare Jiffy Power Auger if need be.

Joe Shock

Don’t know how much more honest i could of been, hence the long explanation/story and the story still goes on! As of 11/27 Nils Master USA still hasn’t sent me the right replacement part needed. Ice Fishing season is here in Wisconsin as well as it is in Minnesota as well as other states. So here I sit, good thing I have a back up auger now.

Do you go back and search 10 years prior on any fishing related item you buy under $250 ??? I don’t think so, but thanks for your POV’s.

riverruns
    Inactive

I’d be pissed also. Don’t blame you. Keep hounding them. Show them this forum.

I have a nils 6″ with extension. Even though I tighten the wingnuts before each use, I still have them disappear down the hole. Does anyone have suggestions for a different bolt/nut system to replace the wingnuts? I contacted Nils, but they do not reply. I appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I really like this auger and use it for both ice fishing and when I’m obtaining water quality studies for work…so it gets lots of use.

Step B.

Bassn Dan

I have a nils 6″ with extension. Even though I tighten the wingnuts before each use, I still have them disappear down the hole. Does anyone have suggestions for a different bolt/nut system to replace the wingnuts? I contacted Nils, but they do not reply. I appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I really like this auger and use it for both <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing and when I’m obtaining water quality studies for work…so it gets lots of use.

Step B.

If you leave it assembled you can use Locktite Threadlock on it. https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24200-Medium-Strength-Threadlocker/dp/B0002UEMZ2

Otherwise, if you need to disassemble it for transport you can either use a nylock type wing nut https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fastener-014973285784-Piece-20/dp/B00L1L32F2/ref=asc_df_B00L1L32F2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242048563613&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15304721166595918639&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=2840&hvtargid=pla-604068957250&psc=1 (should also be available in smaller packages at HomeDepot, etc. A quick and dirty way to accomplish the same thing is to use a ball bearing placed on the wingnut and smack it with a hammer to distort the threads so that they are tighter on the bolt – but you can also wreck the nut if you hit it too hard…

Good luck.

Dan

Joe Shock

Not proud of my 6″ Nils Trekker, but you can use/replace with nylon nuts or quick clip pins. NILS USA is a two man sales operation. They job shop out their manufacturing of their augers and parts. They won’t even reply back to me or answer my calls anymore since all my headaches with my defective new 6″ Trekker I purchased from them directly. Good luck if you ever have a warranty issue with your auger or want a refund under warranty, they won’t refund your purchase and only promise to replace defective parts that may arrive a year later. I complained about the Wing nut and Wing Bolt issue to NILS USA as a poor design since I almost lost my blade section to the bottom of the lake because of this exact issue. They’re response was that, “the Wing Nuts/Wing bolt’s are designed to self tighten upon use/rotation of the auger”. Yeah, right!!! Poor company, poor customer service, poor warranty and definitely not the NILS Auger Company from the quality of them produced back in the days in Finland.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Feel your pain! I bought a shot gun barrel from Personal Choice Outfitters in Arizona . Never received it and they would not return my money. Had filed with Wisconsin BBB and Arizona BBB. Then contacted the Federal Consumer protection agency. I gave up ,2 years later got a check from BBB of Arizona !!! Was surprised and happy the ordeal was over . Business needs to be held accountable, i pursued the issue as far as i could go. In the end it was more about the principle than the money . I also own a NILs.

Bassn Dan

Some lock washers would probably also keep the nuts from loosening. Available at any hardware store.

dbv2

I own several Nils augers and have had nothing but great customer service from them. Would never buy a different auger.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I own several Nils augers and have had nothing but great customer service from them. Would never buy a different auger.

The only auger I’d buy again is the one I never NEDED customer service!

404 ERROR
    MN

Since my last post in this thread….

My Nils 6″ shaft cracked. It cracked in a spiral under the weld for the flight and spread about 6-8″ up the inside of the shaft. In order to fix it, you would need to grind the entire flighting section off, weld the shaft, and weld the flighting back on…

I bought a 6″ K-drill. Sorry Nils, I’m done.

curleytail

I’m surprised about many of the replies here regarding poor quality from Nils. I’ve cut quite a few holes with my 6 inch Nils hand auger and this is the 1st year I’ve just started noticing it get a little dull. I had some paint chip off but I expect that after about 8 years or so.

Kind of on the fence now. I was considering putting up a Want To Buy thread for an 8 inch Nils for my new Milwaukee drill but sounds like qualitt is questionable.

Has their quality really slipped that badly or are we just hearing about a few bad experiences?

Tucker

dbv2

Stupid quote. Who said I had issue? I always asked advice on their different augers and the person that answers the phone has been super helpful. One time I did loose on of their screws and they sent another one free of charge. I would never not purchase a Nils Auger! Blows all others away.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dbv2 wrote:</div>

dbv2

You are just hearing a few bad experiences. I got the new orange one for the Milwaukee Fuel 18 drill and it has been great. My old gas auger Nils lasted for years and I sold it for about what I paid for it.

I always carry an extra head and usally get it sharpend by Frank in MN every couple years.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Stupid quote. Who said I had issue? I always asked advice on their different augers and the person that answers the phone has been super helpful. One time I did loose on of their screws and they sent another one free of charge. I would never not purchase a Nils Auger! Blows all others away.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dbv2 wrote:</div>

Take a chill pill.

Who said I said you ever had a problem with an auger???

I own a nils/Tanaka auger. Love it. Never called CS. Would buy again.

I own a kdrill/Milwaukee auger. Love it. Never called CS. Would but again.

404 ERROR
    MN

Has their quality really slipped that badly or are we just hearing about a few bad experiences?

Not sure, my newest Nils is almost 10 years old. I beat the living HECK out of my gear. To be honest, I’m surprised it didn’t break earlier…

curleytail

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>curleytail wrote:</div>

Not sure, my newest Nils is almost 10 years old. I beat the living HECK out of my gear. To be honest, I’m surprised it didn’t break earlier…

Good to know. Does that mean your previous post about your auger breaking wasn’t a complaint?

404 ERROR
    MN

Good to know. Does that mean your previous post about your auger breaking wasn’t a complaint?

Nope. Just that I went a different direction on a new auger…an auger blade that lasts longer in dirty ice and weighed less for backwater walks was the goal…K-drill beat a Nils in both departments. It’s just slower and harder to hold onto when drilling…trade-off…

Joe Shock

Too all commenting on this tread,

You’d have to go back to the start of thread/post to understand the issue’s I was facing with my new NILS 6″ Trekker I had purchased two Ice Fishing season’s ago directly from NILS USA. So the post was my “Bad Experience” and a legit story of my purchase. Since, I know others with newer NILS Augers that have had issues and talked with the Store Manager from Marine General in DUluth when I was having problems dealing with NILS USA directly on such things as their warranty and products. When speaking with the Store Manager from Marine General in Duluth, MN., and don’t quote me and my memory, but Marine General has carried NILS Augers and products for many years and the Store Manager told me from what I remember they had quite a few customer returns that year on the NILS 8″ hand Augers. As I previously stated NILS USA was back a couple years ago just a two man sales team. The building/manufacturing of their augers are made else where(job shops). The Marine General Store Manager gave me the information for why I was experiencing poor Customer Service with NILS USA because he was getting the same service from NILS USA he explained to me and that Marine Generals customer NILS auger returns would have to wait til the following year to get their replacement auger(part) replaced. Keep in mind that I wanted a full refund on my new NILS purchase after it breaking on me twice, so all those Marine General customers who returned NILS Augers also faced that Marine General couldn’t give a full refund also if they wanted one because NILS USA written warranty won’t let you get a full purchase price refund. Doesn’t matter if you buy a NILS Auger directly from NILS USA or buy one at Cabelas, Marine General, Scheels, etc..your NILS auger breaks and you want a full purchase price refund they won’t give you one but instead get told you have to call NILS USA and get on the list for a replacement part which like me, who knows when you’ll get one. because your waiting on NILS USA’s makers of those replacement parts.

Of course I could go on and on like the above paragraph. In one of my post I know I did say I was done replying back to comments, but with the recent post I felt I needed to clarify some things about my experience with NILS USA and their operation overall. Yes I did my before and after research about NILS USA and their now produced augers. Those commenting about owning a NILS power auger tell me what you know about why they’re not available anymore??? I know kind of. Those owning older NILS Augers with no issues, can you tell me where they were manufactured??? Those owning newer NILS hand augers, I wish you the best of luck and hope you never have any issue’s like I did. Was well into December of last year before I was able to use my NILS 6″ Trekker once again. So I missed out on using it a good full month from the start of this ice fishing season because NILS USA sent me the wrong replacement part(which was my second defective part on my NILS auger).

Lol, guess I went on and on again in the second paragraph. Sorry, once I get started about NILS USA it kind of still “pisses me off”. You’d think after all my issues NILS USA would of gave me a full purchase price refund”. OH well and waiting for the next thing to break on my NILS auger when using it this season if a person can get out now with all this snow. Those have problems with with the Wing Nuts and Wing Bolts loosening or missing, I just replaced the Wing Nut with a Nylon Nut. Quick Clips, lock washers, LockTite, etc..I’m sure will all work equally well. NILS auger blades, I leave that in your own thoughts but here’s a rough quote from from a consumer who called NILS USA about their newer NILS auger and not cutting this season. NILS USA, “yeah, the place where we have our blades/section made doesn’t do the best job making sure they’re sharp and that you can send them to such and such in Minnesota for $40 and have them sharpened”. Keep in mind this person only used their brand new NILS auger one previous season and never nicked, damaged, ran into the bottom or dealt with “dirty ice”. I know, I fish with him.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Nils is a European company based in Finland. All augers, parts, and pieces get imported into the United states through one or maybe two guys at the moment. This is probably why you are experiencing issues in getting a replacement part on warranty. I’m just a prostaffer so I’m not exactly sure how their whole logistics works, but I hope they will soon get a good base operation here in the USA and gain more customer service and marketing outreach because these are truly great augers. From my experiences, the smoothest and fastest cutting auger drill bits out there. They are already making efforts to do so by no longer partnering with Tanaka gas engines and now partnering with Trophy Strike electric and gas power heads based out of Colorado. We have been doing a test run of their 120V Lithium battery power heads paired with 6″ and 8″ Nils bits this year and it is a match made in heaven. It is the fastest 8″ electric auger I have ever used. Check out the video test runs on the Nils Facebook page. The vids speak for themselves. I used this electric auger to run and gun all day a few times on Mille lacs this year and it didn’t even use up the whole battery.

As far as the 6″ Nils Trekker goes, I have that also attached onto the extension of my drill plate w/ Milwuakee lithium brushless hammer drill and 9 amp battery. I used 2″ hex bolts with nylon threaded locking nuts instead of the included “wing nuts”. This set up has been a tournament work horse this year going on 4 tournaments so far and well over 1,000 holes with the same blades. The true awesomeness of this Nils auger drill bit is shinning right now with this late season thick ice 3ft+. With the “self taping screw” design of the shaft it punches right threw in ONE clean swipe. No clearing ice shavings half way down the hole and jerking your back out of alignment. Just one clean punch straight through. You wont see that with other brands of auger shafts on this late season ice. This is the true advantage of the Nils.

I hope you get things figured out Joe because this is really a great product design. They are just trying to figure out ways to gain a foot hold in the USA and create a better service to the overseas market. Slowly but surely there are good things and new opportunities to come from NILSUSA.

Tight lines and have a great day

Attachments:
    1. Nils.jpg

Joe Shock

That didn’t help me know in the purchase of my 6″ Trekker and most things are considered used once you purchased them new. If the NILS augers and parts are imported, why would Brian Casavant tell me over the phone my first defective part(the drill adapter) their job shop welder had missed some of the inner welds on particular model’s? Was he referring to a job shop in the States or from overseas? Then when my main auger section went defective was that a inner weld done by a job shop overseas that missed another inner weld?

NILS lately isn’t going to build a great fan base or following if here in the States it doesn’t start with a strong customer service base. Would you be using NILS augers if you hadn’t been given the opportunity to become a Pro-Staffer? I know a person who is a NILS Pro-Staffer also and they ice fish very limited compared to us, but the interest and opportunity was there so they got on board. Maybe you know why NILS USA won’t issue a full refund of the purchase price if a consumer try’s to return at any retailer? Like most new products bought from a retailer defective, new, new in the box, etc…that retailer should be able to refund the purchase price and in the case of a defective auger, the retailer is then responsible for returning back the defective auger back to the manufacture to get credit for it. I worked in the Sporting Goods retail business for years, other than ammo, guns, consumables and live bait a customer could return product and get a full refund.

After my all my issue’s/defects I had with my 6″ Trekker, all I wanted is my money back and too return my NILS auger, NILS under their warranty refused to do that. I don’t consider that very good customer service or warranty to build a base for any business/company here in the States. It’s great your testing and using NILS products and they have great products to come for ice anglers in the State’s, but it’s going to take anglers like you prove NILS products over the course of time to get a loyal ice angler fan base. If the quality in NILS augers is up and down along with their customer service your going to constantly have consumers like me who may have did their homework before purchasing all to come find out you bought a “lemon”.

I was familiar with the older NILs augers coming with a power point(self tapping point) and available for replacement if needed. Wish my and other’s newer purchases of NILS augers had come with them. Think it would eliminated quickly dull blade issues on my and other’s newer purchases if our augers would of come with a starter/power point.

Hope your positive experiences with NILS augers continue grow and you stick with them for years to come as Pro-Staffer/tester. All I know I won’t recommend based on my experiences/defects with my 6″ Trekker and not being able to get my money back when I requested it from NILS USA, that I won’t tell others when asked how I like my NILS auger or if they should consider buying one that I wouldn’t. Just for the fact if your not happy with the auger or just want to return it from where you purchased it from, you won’t get your money back unless under clause 2 on the NILS Warranty(I believe from memory) you send your auger directly to NILS USA and it’s at their discretion to refund your full purchase price.

Joe Shock

Also to note, I still would gladly box up my 6″ Trekker and all my defective parts and send them back to NILS USA/Brian Casavant if they would give me full refund of my purchase(s). Never did Brian C. want or have me send either of my defective parts back for NILS USA to inspect/look at. Now why would that be when I specifically requested I wanted a full refund??? Only reason I can think of is NILS USA knew possibly they were in the “wrong” and sent me a new auger that could possibly have defects. It state’s right in the NILS Warranty that a consumer should be able to send their auger under warranty for a refund or replacement and I was never given that opportunity.

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

I’ll add a few things to this thread.

I have owned a nils trekker for 3 years. The auger is amazing. I’ve had wing nuts come loose. I’ve head the head drop down the hole too. I fished it out with my camera and a net. I replaced the wing nuts with lock nuts, and it doesn’t come loose any more. I’ve had to sharpen my blade once, mainly because I drilled into sand on the WI river. Definitely a 5star rating from me.

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.