New Toilet?

• francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Looking to replace a current toilet to a taller model for my parents. Any brands to stay away from? Sounds weird, but are there “options” I should be looking for?

Thanks,

FDR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As strange as it sounds, it actually does matter IMO. The Kohler toilets we have in the house (2) never get blocked. Those things can eat a tremendous load and down she goes ever time.

The generic toilet in mud room bathroom can’t flush a lady bug without getting blocked. It doesn’t seem to have any whirlpool effect, it just tries to push everything straight down with a single rush of water.

Bottom line IMO is Kohler and American Standard every time. It costs more, but IMO this is a buy right, buy once kind of deal.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We put an American Standard (I’m pretty sure it was a Cadet 3) in our previous home and used it for a few years before we moved. It was a pretty good toilet. As TFG said, it could eat a tremendous load. Our new house has a snazzy Kohler on our main level, and that thing is very nice, too, though I have no idea what model it is.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Five or six years ago I replaced my old toilet with a Gerber Viper brand. I have had zero problems with it. I highly recommend this toilet.

plumbum75

All the above are good toilets, Mansfield also makes a decent commode. stay away from the Eljers and Glacier Bays.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I think mine is a Kohler, they used ping pong balls to show the flush power, if I remember right, it was a dozen balls without a problem. It is a handicap model, which is taller than a stock model. I would recommend it and replace it with the same if it was to go bad.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

We had some work done a couple of years ago and the guy installed a Vitra. I can’t wait until the day comes when I can take it out in the back yard smash it into thousand of small pieces. The only way to reliably get it to flush is to dump a bucket full of water down the chute at the same time you hit the lever. I was tempted to call it a piece of s…..but I’m going to avoid the bad pun.

SR

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Wow. I guess I am really glad I asked this before just running out to the store. WE have 3 American Standards that have been problem free. I also like the fact that Kohler is made in WI. Will probably start hunting down options for those two brands.

Thanks again IDO.

FDR

big_g
    Isle, MN

never plugged yet… doah

Attachments:
    1. outhouse.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Gerber color or avalanche. Not sure if the big box stores sell them. They flush great, complete bowl wash and standard parts for years down the road when they need to be worked on. Toto is another top of the line brand. Drake I believe is their top toilet. Stay away from any 1.28 gallon flush toilets as well as any dual flush toilets. Just put in a kohler cimmeron today. Not to impressed. Would of much rather put in a Gerber. American standard champion toilets are about the biggest turd on the market.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Gerber color or avalanche. Not sure if the big box stores sell them. They flush great, complete bowl wash and standard parts for years down the road when they need to be worked on. Toto is another top of the line brand. Drake I believe is their top toilet. Stay away from any 1.28 gallon flush toilets as well as any dual flush toilets. Just put in a kohler cimmeron today. Not to impressed. Would of much rather put in a Gerber. American standard champion toilets are about the biggest turd on the market.

What ever you installed at our place has worked well. Tyler uses it plenty without problems. He does a pretty good job at finding the weak toilets after using them.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

never plugged yet… doah

Just gotta watch out for porcupines, spiders & bees/wasps!!!

Mark

mattgroff

I have gerber. Great toilet.
    You can watch a YouTube video of them flushing over 20lbs of fruit salad down them.
    And I guarantee most of you don’t poop more than 20lbs

mattgroff

Sorry it’s a 7lb salad not 20 I don’t know where the hell I got 20 must of been the number of beers I drank installing the toilet with my buddy.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Titan 4″. Will flush a bucket of golf balls in one flush. Only sold on taller model. Great toilet. They are also sold at menards.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

American Std. Champion 4 has one of the best Map scores. Get the comfort height (ADA height) its typically only 1 1/2″ to 2″ taller but it makes a big difference.
    You can get them at the big box places very reasonably priced. Everything comes in the box now including the seat. The water line however does not but replace that also.

Don’t forget to caulk it to the floor. Code requirement – to keep the sewer gas at bay.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If setting on un-even surface, shim with pennies.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Don’t forget to caulk it to the floor. Code requirement – to keep the sewer gas at bay.

Really? no more wax rings? jester

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

American Std. Champion 4 has one of the best Map scores. Get the comfort height (ADA height) its typically only 1 1/2″ to 2″ taller but it makes a big difference.
    You can get them at the big box places very reasonably priced. Everything comes in the box now including the seat. The water line however does not but replace that also.

The hype American standard gave that toilet then with in a couple of years had to send out rebuild kits because people could not stop them from leaking. It’s a freak in toilet. Not a rocket ship. Showed me American standard is more about taking money than putting out a quality product.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The basic toilet we normally spec in a home is the Kohler K-3979. Other than a buyer looking for something more decorative, they are very reliable units

In the event that you in the 1% that has elephant sized bowel movements, then get the Australian Caroma. You could probably send a small dog down that.

Features
    Two-piece toilet.
    Elongated bowl offers added room and comfort.
    Comfort Height® feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults.
    1.6 gallons per flush (gpf).
    Standard left-hand Polished Chrome trip lever included.
    Combination consists of the K-4468 tank and the K-4199 bowl.

Technology
    Single-flush gravity uses the force of gravity and a precision-engineered tank, bowl, and trapway to create a strong siphon during flushing.
    Class Five® flushing technology offers plug- and leak-free performance, extraordinary flushing, and better rinsing power for a cleaner bowl.

Installation
    Standard 12-inch rough-in.
    Three-bolt installation.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The hype American standard gave that toilet then with in a couple of years had to send out rebuild kits because people could not stop them from leaking. It’s a freak in toilet. Not a rocket ship. Showed me American standard is more about taking money than putting out a quality product.

Interesting – I’ve never came across the leaking problem.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here is some info on the champion.

http://411plumb.com/american-standard-champion-toilet-leak-repairs/

Thats interesting you mention Australian toilets Randy. Was just chatting with a plumber from Australia a few months back. He was commenting on how the pipes, toilets, ect in there codes are all over sized and very rarely clog.

Think that was a Avalanche I put in at your place Francis. Either that or a Vipor. Gerber makes simple toilets with very standard parts, complete bowl washes, plenty of water in the bowl for less streaking and that flush well. Even the Kohler Cimmeron I put in today Im sure will flush well but concerned about the lake of water in the bowl and resulting skid makes. It was the toilet they wanted.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Personally I go for comfort coffee

toilet

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mike W –
    Champion 1 was flawed, Issue resolved with Champion 4

Bassn Dan

Looking to replace a current toilet to a taller model for my parents. Any brands to stay away from? Sounds weird, but are there “options” I should be looking for?

Thanks,

FDR

Our Eljer Titan has been unstoppable.

Something to consider is if your parents would prefer a rounded or elongated shape toilet.

Also if going from a conventional to a low flow toilet keep in mind that while the high performance models will flush almost anything, they don’t have as much water to carry the waste through the waste lines so it’s best to avoid “Ultra Soft” Charmin, etc. toilet papers that are really thick and are prone to log jamming the pipes.

FryDog62

“In the event that you in the 1% that has elephant sized bowel movements, then get the Australian Caroma. You could probably send a small dog down that.”

Well, we have that relative in our family that fits the 1% criteria. Every holiday with everyone visiting we end up with a major plumbing issue. A couple years ago this individual overflowed an upstairs bathroom at my sister’s house and ruined the upstairs floor, downstairs ceiling and family room carpet to the tune of $3000+ in damages.

Next year the big get together is at our house… my wife is already asking what we are going to do? Sooo, how much are those Caromas anyway – gotta be less than 3k I would hope!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

One of the benefits of a 1.6gpf toilet is a person has to flush it twice to over flow them. If they do happen to flush a second time its only one and a half gallons on the floor. Not 3, 5 or more.

Then there are those relatives, usually in laws that always seem to be challenged when using a toilet.

If you really want a top flusher look at the Gerber Ultra max toilets. Commercial style flush for your home. I dont push these a lot due to the noise of the toilet and non conventional parts but they will flush a small child down if you are not careful.

Its about time American Standard got a toilet right with the reworked version of the Champion. From a company that put poor quality toilets on the market to defective toilets on the market there was not much more going down they could do. Still not a chance this plumber will sell anything that company makes. I have to stand behind what I put in.

Nick M

Not really answering your question but I would consider buying a washlet (seat with bidet attachment) for your parents. I bought two of these Toto washlets https://www.totousa.com/washlet-c100-elongated for my parents, which really helped when my dad started having bad back problems. They have been using both units for over a year without any issues. Hope this helps!

404 ERROR
    MN

Not really answering your question but I would consider buying a washlet (seat with bidet attachment) for your parents. I bought two of these Toto washlets https://www.totousa.com/washlet-c100-elongated for my parents, which really helped when my dad started having bad back problems. They have been using both units for over a year without any issues. Hope this helps!

I gotta ask..what did you type in the search bar to come up with a 3 year old thread on toilets?…asking for a friend…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.