New budget O/U shotgun

• Pike1401
    Waconia

I’ve been considering picking up a new O/U 12g or 20g. Budget is 1k or less. I’ve been looking over the last couple months and found plenty of options but wondering if anyone on here has recommendations based on their own experience.

The three models I’ve looked into the most at this point are: Weatherby Orion, CZ Upland Ultralight and Mossberg Silver Reserve II

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Buy the fit, not the shotgun. I went in once convinced I was buying a Beretta and left with a Browning.

You may be able to find a used Browning citori or Ruger red label for just a little bit more money. an extra 250 or $300 would dramatically expand your options and move you up into a much better class of gun.

Grouse

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have a Browning Citori from 1983 that is still going strong. Love that gun and it gets plenty of waterfowl activity every year and hasn’t failed me yet. I have not shot the others that you mention.

tornadochaser

I’d throw franchi into the mix if you’re looking for new off the shelf. Look into used guns and you can probably find berettas and field grade citoris for under $1K as well.

zooks

Buy the fit, not the shotgun. I went in once convinced I was buying a Beretta and left with a Browning.

I’d throw franchi into the mix if you’re looking for new off the shelf. Look into used guns and you can probably find berettas and field grade citoris for under $1K as well.

X2 on both of these recommendations. The locking mechanism of the different models will greatly impact how they shoulder for each person and Grouse’s Beretta/Browning story is the most common example. Relatedly, I’ve seen a few CZ’s misfire in cold weather and at that price range, would also prefer a used gun from a more reputable maker for reliability reasons.

Good luck with what you decide.

Gitchi Gummi

I agree with Grouse’s statement – if you increase your budget a couple hundred dollars more, you are unlocking an exponentially greater jump in quality.

I’d personally recommend the Franchi Instinct or Instinct SL. Great quality shotgun for a couple hundred dollars more than your $1k budget.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.