New Boat

• MikeV

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MikeV wrote:</div>
    My boat will be new for the 2020 season.

I traded my 17’Lund for a used 620 ranger a few weeks ago. Looking forward to the first river fishing trip in a few weeks.

That’s a nice rig Mike. And a nice truck too

Thanks. I’m hoping to fish some of the waters I see in the IDO videos I have been watching. Maybe meet a few of you guys out there too.

FryDog62

I’ve had one crazy thought since buying my rig 3 years ago… although I like my Merc, I have had many situations in late Fall after I’ve winterized where the weather turns nice and I want to go back out again.
    A couple years it could have been back out several times, but it’s buttoned up for the year.

Yes, I’ve had that random thought of re-powering with an Etec so I can winterize any time and re-use when the opportunity presents itself.

Heard too many horror stories of the early Etecs, although Gen 2 is probably much improved..

paul56068

Got a Ranger 621 Pro being rigged as we speak. I traded a 2017 621 in for 26000.00 to boot. Added somethings to bring that to boot price up and with the idea this is my last new boat. No one believes me but we will see. The price keeps climbing so fast one is almost is forced in to trading every few years to keep the trade price down.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I walked away from a beautiful Warrior a couple of years ago because it had a Etec (225 hp). I haven’t heard anything bad about Etec’s and people say they have a bunch of power and are economical. The maintenance thing also is a plus I guess. For some odd reason I have no interest in owning one. Maybe it’s because I had a salesman try and jam me with one years ago or maybe it’s because I personally think they are ugly. (Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder they say grin ) I dunno. Some guys won’t buy a Ford or Chevy for some reason also. ???

If the Etec extends your fishing time go for it if you can afford it. As we have seen recently lifes short and we need to make the most of it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I traded a 2017 621 in for 26000.00 to boot.

Is it just me or does that trade in seem about 1/2 of what it should be? A buddy of mine bought a 2017 620 for almost $60k.

Did you mean 2007? Or $56k?

FryDog62

“I personally think Etecs are ugly. (Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder they say grin ) I dunno. Some guys won’t buy a Ford or Chevy for some reason also. ???

I wasn’t quite sure what to think of the looks of the Gen2 Etecs when they first came out but I’ve softened a bit. It seems a lot of other outdoor products have gone to the angular/chiseled look – Polaris vehicles, Mercury ProXS, even some Chevy trucks/SUV’s are more squared off chiseled profiles now.

Sometimes you look back and what seemed strange at first becomes more mainstream. Other times you remember things like the AMC Gremlin that went downstream… (thankfully).

Time will tell I guess..

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Agreed, the New Mercs have the new look also. I’m not a big fan of those either.

FryDog62

What will really be interesting is if the next generation of Yamahas changes their look too… then we’re all in for a big change.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wasn’t Honda the first to change their big motors? They went to kind of a chiseled look I recall.

What did you think of the flat Black Suzuki went to? Kinda weird seeing that.

FryDog62

Wasn’t Honda the first to change their big motors? They went to kind of a chiseled look I recall.

Didn’t mind the flat black look of Suzuki at all… in fact after having a shiny black Mercury the past 3 years I’d opt for flat black if given the option. Shiny shows every flaw and water spot…

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I really don’t understand why people think the etec magically gets rid of all of the water with pushing a couple of buttons, still need to check lower unit and everything else, no reason you can’t use your merc and just change the engine oil whenever, make sure you’re fuel is treated, check for water where it isn’t supposed to be and just keep fishing.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Not in the market this year but the new Reata we bought last year was the best “big” purchase we’ve made outside of our house. Great fishing boat and great family boat.

Ended up hanging a 175 Yamaha on the back. There was a lot of positivity around the new mercury but the reliability was too good to pass up. Plus, I think the looks of the Yamaha and colors are the best looking.

Attachments:
    1. DCE2F19A-6255-47C4-BE93-ADC7B5BC2B8C.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nobody can argue, Ranger builds a nice looking boat.

Nice job Matt! waytogo

MikeV

Not in the market this year but the new Reata we bought last year was the best “big” purchase we’ve made outside of our house. Great fishing boat and great family boat.

Ended up hanging a 175 Yamaha on the back. There was a lot of positivity around the new mercury but the reliability was too good to pass up. Plus, I think the looks of the Yamaha and colors are the best looking.

That’s the boat I was planning on getting someday. Very nice boats.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I got a new to me 2010 Ranger 621VS with a Etec 250 on it. I wasn’t in the market for a boat since I really liked my Lund Predator. But for the price and what I got for my Lund it made it easier. I ran it this year and am quite happy.

I’m 41 and am currently thinking this may be my last boat I buy. I don’t have that kind of cash to plunk down to make it possible. I’d rather spend that money improving my land land I bought. As I’ve gotten older I’ve started chasing the latest and greatest more and more.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I’m looking for a used aluminum bass boat for my son. I’ve browsed quite a few sites on the web. I’m amazed at how even a 6-7 yr old holds its value. Hopefully, there is wiggle room with the prices.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Good luck with the search. Hopefully you find one before spring fever really sets in. yay

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As most of you know, I’m a SkunkWorks tester for several major boat brands. I tested an entry-level 26 footer 3 seasons ago and I found it a big upgrade over the cramped and sluggish 20-22 foot boats on the market.

IMO, anyone buying one of those smaller, underpowered 22 footers is going to regret it when the new 26 footers come out next year. You’ll just want to upgrade and get away from those little weed-eater 250 and 300 HP “engines” and get into something with real power. Hint, you guys should SEE the powerplants I’m testing next year. I can’t say the exact HP, but it does NOT begin with a 4… And of course, the trend toward twins will continue.

Many of you have asked when the 28s like the one I tested will be available for ordinary guys. Again, I can’t disclose that, but what I can tell you is that after a year of testing, it just confirmed again that bigger IS better. And I don’t think the MSRP of around $225k nicely equipped will be that big of a barrier for the serious-serious angler.

Grouse

sji

Ya but can you pull it by hand across the ice to get it back on the trailer?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Grouse, rumor has it there is a 28’ with twin 400’s coming out from a major mfg. It also has quad talons and a 60volt trolling motor system with 250# thrust.

Care to comment?

milemark_714

I’m the one with cash in the safe waiting for that guy to default on the loan.. peace

Randy,

I have debated this in my head often. My biggest fear is that the previous owner didn’t maintain it either as they couldn’t afford the payments. The few repos I have looked at, the credit union didn’t allow me to have an inspection done at my cost. I am pretty confident that you have more experience and a better eye for tell tail signs of possible issues.

FDR
    [/quote]

The boat/trailer would be mostly visual.I would be more leery of the engine,maybe one of those guys that go from cold start to full throttle without proper warm-up.But if the price is right,why not?

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Yep, ordered a new 2020 Yarcraft 186tfx with Yamaha 200SHO, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
    72″ 112lb Terrova
    Lowrance HDS Live Electronics
    Aquatraction floor

Hopefully will arrive in February so I have some time to accessorize before river season in March-April.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yep, ordered a new 2020 Yarcraft 186tfx with Yamaha 200SHO, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
    72″ 112lb Terrova
    Lowrance HDS Live Electronics
    Aquatraction floor

Hopefully will arrive in February so I have some time to accessorize before river season in March-April.

waytogo Pictures requested when it shows up.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Grouse, rumor has it there is a 28’ with twin 400’s coming out from a major mfg. It also has quad talons and a 60volt trolling motor system with 250# thrust.

Care to comment?

You might have heard that rumor, but I couldn’t possibly comment. Except to say the trolling motor system is 72 volt, not 60 which, although adequate for smaller boats, was found to be somewhat lackluster once we crossed the 24-foot threshold.

I take it you’re getting ready for an upgrade then? I can tell you right now, I really enjoyed the 28, finally something that would fish 2 guys comfortably WITH a reasonable amount of gear. Stored in the walk-closet/rod locker, obviously, because I hate having s!it spread all over the deck.

Also, I can’t stop mentioning the awesomeness that is the on-board fridge/freezer and even better, with the ice maker. Yeti coolers are for peasants. You can’t make a decent marg with half-melted ice.

Grouse

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Actually “matte” black is what they call it. Was going to re power my 06 alumacraft but looks like a Lund Pro V with one of those Zuki’s is going to look Bad A$$, especially free!
    Wife used to complain I watched too much football but not anymore.

michael keehr

I bought a new to me 2006 Triton 202 at the end of the season in 2017 I upgraded from a 1989 lund 1700 pro v. I still miss the old boat sometimes but this one works so much better for the family. You guys can joke all you want about bigger boats but this last year on mille lacs there was a gentleman out there with a 30 foot cobia with twin 400 mercs on it. Sure was a nice
    Looking boat. But I couldn’t even afford fuel for that beast. I talked with him a bit and found out he was up helping with a family situation and it was the only boat in the family so he trailered it up from taxas. I couldn’t even imagine what the price tag on that is

Cody Meyers

I picked up an Alumacraft Competitor 185 in November. It’s a2017 since I couldn’t swallow the pill on a brand new one. It’s quite the upgrade from my last rig and I am proud to have it.

Priced out a new Kingfisher…it’ll take aggressive lottery play before I can have one of those.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

And I don’t think the MSRP of around $225k nicely equipped will be that big of a barrier for the serious-serious angler.

What can I do to get on the short list. I’ll never have a first born so that’s out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Question: With a 28′ boat, do they come with headset radios to talk from bow to stern?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.