Sutherland

• KyleLuthans
    Kearney, NE

Has anyone heard about the conditions at the Sutherland canal? Also, has anyone ever fished the other side of the road? I was thinking about making a trip out there and was looking for some advice. BTW – caught a master angler bass through the ice a few weeks back. I’ll post the pic on Friday.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I have been trying to come up with some info on Sutherland for the past week with no success. The early bite out there is usually a real hush thing and trying to get updates is sometimes difficult. If I am able to come up with something, I will forward it on.

KyleLuthans
    Kearney, NE

Thanks Zach. I always appreciate your posts. I remember reading some of your reports about Sutherland on the Buzz’s Marine website 2-3 years ago. I have been curious ever since. I live in Kearney and fish mostly in the local I-80 pits. However, I like to make it up to Sherman 4-5 times per year and a couple of other places if possible. Sutherland is on my list. Here’s a pic of a MA bass I caught through the ice with my son. What a thrill.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I may have gotten some info on Sutherland today…

KyleLuthans
    Kearney, NE

PM me. Will needs some bass!

djorg
    Central City, NE

You are sooooooooo sssllick Brian.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I just drove by there on the interstate last weekend. I wish I would have had my boat.

KyleLuthans
    Kearney, NE

Any thoughts on how the change in size limits at Sherman will impact the fishery?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Sherman has been a great walleye fishery for years. I trust the judgment of the G&P that they can improve it even more with the new regs. I’ve caught a lot of BIG walleye up there and with the changes I look forward to catching even more big eyes for years to come.

hunter_aug
    Holdrege, Ne

Last Year We fished sutherland the first week of march; the water temp. was 46 and the fishing was good. I know that weekend wasn’t the first day they fishing was good. The lake from what I have heard has been open for awhile. Im going to hold out for a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hold out? You? What the…..

Just get that new house in order, throw your stuff in a corner and hit the water already.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Bass Buster, did I talk to you at Cottonmill the evening that you took that picture

The changes that have been made at Sherman have me EXTREMELY excited. I could be wrong but I think that it is going to make the lake even more fun that what it already is

KyleLuthans
    Kearney, NE

Zach –

I don’t recall meeting you at Cottonmill. I mostly caught dozens of 4-5″ bluegills this ice-fishing season at C-Mill.

I’m excited for the chance to harvest some extra walleyes from Sherman this year to go with the white bass and crappies I usually keep.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Just after Christmas took my nephew out to C.M. to catch whatever we could find and there was a dad and his young son who layed into a real nice LMB. That little guy was on top of the world!!! Thought that was maybe you. Anyways, that is a real nice fish and one that i’m sure you and your son will remember for a long time

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

THAT’S THE ONE NICE FISH LITTLE MAN

rippin-lips
    Kearney

BTW Bass Buster nice fish

I am not much of a bass fisherman mainly walleye. I have to admit pulling those 20″ bass through the ice is a blast. I can’t imagine how big they will be by next year. It is almost time for walleye fishing now though. The bass will have to wait. I would much rather catch some good eats.

It should be no problem to catch a meal at Sherman this year

RonL
    Denver

My buddy and I went out last week and fished 1/2 day at the checks. Its been hit or miss , typical this time of year. Then went to Sutherland, fishing was pretty good, if two limits of walleye is what your looking for. Had a new jig a pro turned me on too that worked wounders . Look forward to seeing how it does for me this spring.

KyleLuthans
    Kearney, NE

Rippin-Lips. Nice work on that monster bass. It sure is fun pulling those footballs through an 8″ hole in the ice. If you ever see me out at C.M. with my little fella (just turned 6) be sure to stop and say hi.

RonL. Were you fishing from the shore/inlet or do you need a boat at Sutherland this time of year? I was thinking about making a road trip with my son.

RonL
    Denver

They did a great job on the new boat ramp, it extends futher down than it did before and your not dumping your boat into a rocky hole. So, to answer your question I had to get the boat on the water as I’m getting her tournament ready and needed to check on a couple of things. I can say that the fishing will be hit or miss but if you see a nother four of five day heat wave, GET OUT AND FISH!!! If you don’t want to drag the boat hit the bubbler area off shore, make sure to buy cheap jiggs (hint, hint) as you’ll loss alot.

By the way nice bass, I’ve got some pic’s I took of some pike I caught 4 weeks ago on one of North Plattes’ Interstate lakes but I’m an idiot and can’t get them to download to my computer, you’ll have to believe me when I say they were awsome.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Thanks for the info Ron. How many boats were out while you were at Sutherland?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Looks like Pete and I may have to road trip.

RonL
    Denver

There was about five boats but didn’t see any hook-ups. Talked to four guys at the boat dock and the livewell as empty on their boat as we all were checked by Nebraska Game and Fish. When they showed up I asked my fishing buddy if we were in trouble for fishing as here in CO, Pueblo is the only water boats are currently allowed on.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’m sure this great weather we’re having will put a bit of a kybash on the fish. Looks like the snow is already flying out that way.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

There was a boat out last Saturday that caught one keeper and saw 3 other fish caught by the boats around them. Water temp was 43 degrees

RonL
    Denver

Could you guys give me the skinny on what the changes for Sherman are.

djorg
    Central City, NE

2 fish between 15 to 20 inches and one fish over 28″. A total bag of three fish.

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

Flat are you coaching track this year again?

djorg
    Central City, NE

Planning on it. That is if the doctors decide to give me my driver’s license back by then. I had a heart attack on January 31st; and they feel that the ticker needs a little rest.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.