My First Walleye

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I have been fishing since I can remember and I have certainly caught a wonderful variety of fish in my day. But I had never caught a walleye…. until tonight!!

My dad (Steve Root here on IDO) and I were able to get out fishing tonight, pitching jigs on Pool 2. We’ve been trying to get me on some walleyes for some time now, and I’ve caught a fun variety of fish on Pool 2, but little did we know tonight would be the night! It started off slow for me, as Dad was catching all of the fish. It’s a different technique than I’m used to and I’m much more familiar with fishing lakes vs. rivers. Dad caught an absolute beauty of a walleye as well as several others and I just kept getting more and more excited. I was learning about the importance of casting up into the current seam and letting the river do it’s thing and trying to get a feel for where my jig is (and not getting stuck whistling ). I was lost in thought when I realized I wasn’t snagged on a giant log – I had a fish on! There may have been some hooting and hollering and it was an absolute blast landing my first walleye! I was using a purple moxie when I caught him – I’ve always liked purple. What a night to remember!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3888.jpg

2. 20161026_181134.jpg

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

GREAT!!! Congratulations

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Nice going Sharon…Way to catch your first Walleye. woot

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

You also caught a beauty of a Walleye Sharon!

Congrats! toast

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How you made it to 28 ( rotflol ) without catching a walleye is beyond me, but congratulations! That’s a good looking fish. How big was it? And how about your dad’s fish?

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

I love this post! Thank you for sharing. You certainly have worked for your first Walleye, as I have noticed how often you get out and fish based on your posts here in the forums. Great work, and glad to see you were able to get out with your dad. Priceless!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Ralph we didn’t measure any fish last night. A quick picture and then back in the water. There are a lot of 22-24 inch fish in the Pool right now, and Sharon’s fish was in that class. Just a gorgeous fish.

SR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice work both of you!

With Steve as your Dad, I’m a bit surprise that it’s your first. But HEY! At least you can and will always remember it!

Now you need a frame that holds two photos for your wall. waytogo

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Congrats, Sharon! Nice fish. yay Careful, that night time river fishing can be addicting.

-J.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Way to go Sharon! That’s a nice first.

buschman
    Pool 2

Good work team Root!!! I like your pick in color Sharon. Winner for sure!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

awesome job, don’t forget to tip the guide!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Way to go Sharon!

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Good for you! It’s fun getting a feel for how to work a jig/feel out the current in a river, isn’t it?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great Going Sharon on your Walleye,
    As long as you’ve been on Here, I’ve never
    made the connection that your two were
    a Root Connection. Wow.

Maybe HE is mainly a fly rod Bass guy, but
    know he has been pitching Pool 2 for a while;
    KNOW you both be at it again soon. Should be
    picking up nicely as the water keeps cooling.
    Congrats again Sharon,
    Jack

Iowaboy1

Great job Sharon!! only problem is,the flame has been lit and there aint no putting it out!!!
    trust me,I know,thirty five years of fishing northern Mn lakes,did okay was but never satisfied with how I did.
    then I went and done it,I hired that Fellegy fellow,wished I had done that a long time ago!!!
    kudos to dad for getting you on them!!!

jake47
    WI

Welcome to the club!

Attachments:
    1. image-19.jpeg

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks, everyone, for all of the fun responses and cheers! I feel honored to have my article featured on the front page of this fabulous site. Of course I couldn’t have done it without the help of my amazing Dad. I enjoy learning from him and love spending time together fishing. And as they say, you never forget your first walleye! )

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Ralph we didn’t measure any fish last night. A quick picture and then back in the water. There are a lot of 22-24 inch fish in the Pool right now, and Sharon’s fish was in that class. Just a gorgeous fish.

SR

Back in the day (whatever day that was? :???:), fish such as that were destined for the frying pan, pretty much all of them. How things have changed? Sharon, too bad you didn’t enjoy it’s flaky, moist, delicious fresh caught goodness to savor the eating to celebrate the catching. I remember well how wonderful my first walleye was…on the plate! Long time ago…since you didn’t eat it, I have sent you this!

Attachments:
    1. Walleye-Trophy-Figures.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Way to go Sharon! waytogo waytogo Sometimes it takes awhile to get the feel of jig fishing. Pitching is tougher than vertical jigging but when you get the hang of it it’s a blast! Now catch some more.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.