My 3rd Lund in 12 years. Some comments on a few things I do not like.

• FishyFingers

I just bought a new Lund also. When I seen the phone holder I thought it was ridiculous. Not much thought went into the size or placement. I wouldn’t set my phone up there even if it fit.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I just bought a new Lund also. When I seen the phone holder I thought it was ridiculous. Not much thought went into the size or placement. I wouldn’t set my phone up there even if it fit.

Agreed. The best safest place for my phone is always in my hand. When fishing, landing fish, driving the boat, driving my truck to go fishing… whistling

DonG

1. Phone goes in my right front pocket. (Fits great)
    2. Tools go in drink holders.
    3. Beer goes in my right hand.

Now where’s my rod?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

1. P rotflol hone goes in my right front pocket. (Fits great)
    2. Tools go in drink holders.
    3. Beer goes in my right hand.

Now where’s my rod?

rotflol waytogo

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

We got easy now days–boats and cars got cup/can holders built in. When I was younger I had to hold my beer between my legs when I was driving. whistling

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I don’t know….the beer holders have been here for eons, including the knees.

Whenever I’ve been in the boat market I actually went and looked at the boat a couple times before I signed on the dotted line. If there were things I was going complain about, I’d look at boats that didn’t have the issues. I never paid a penny to gripe about something….I don’t see much logic there.

Now a phone holder….go to where you bought the phone and get a adaptable holder specific to your phone. End of problem. Just like getting a beer can holder that will fit ALL sizes of containers.

I’m with Don….put the phone in your pocket so you can watch the plastic crack while you’re complaining and driving the boat. Keep your knees together so your beer doesn’t slip thru and spill.

Kyhl
    Savage

Can holders break too. smash

A fold out can holder broke on me one morning on ML. I was camping at Father Hennepin and made coffee using the stove top percolator before heading out. Put a 16oz sealed coffee cup in the flip down holder, with the top opened. It was a little rough out and the weight of coffee cup broke the holder when we hit a wave. The boat wasn’t even on plane yet.

Only lost a couple ounces. coffee Sadly, that was my only coffee for the day because I didn’t bring a thermos. Figured 16oz of percolator coffee would be good enough for the morning. I was wrong. doah

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Can holders break too. smash

A fold out can holder broke on me one morning on ML.

Was that a Lund boat can holder? neutral

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

As another member of this forum–and one who is well versed in manufacturing, engineering, and process improvement–has very rightly pointed out several times:

Midwest aluminum boat makers are stuck in the 1970s.

Bucky has it right, IMO:

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    The only reason manufacturers get away with producing less than quality equipment, baits, boats, etc. is because the consumers LET them get away with it.

I’d only add that the reason consumers LET them get away is partly due to the fact that most boats in the Midwest are used so little, that the flaws (beyond the cell phone holder) only become apparent after many years.

I was at the Sportsman’s show last year and I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at what I saw as far as alumnium boat quality. I was afraid to touch anything for fear of breaking it. I could literally spot multiple things on every boat that were either sloppy build quality or were so poorly engineered that they would NEVER last a lifetime of ownership without failing.

Grouse

I also agree 1000%!

I can’t believe what people drop for a “lund” or “crestliner here in the upper Midwest. They are not that well built of boats compared to what’s out there and you’ll find better quality built boats for less.

I got quoted for a new crestliner a few years back at over $50K…but it came with a hammock! LOL

Kyhl
    Savage

Was that a Lund boat can holder? neutral

Nope. That started another of my stupid mistakes.

It was a flush mount flip out holder on the driver side. After trying a couple generic mounts from Mills FF, eventually I stopped at Dan’s Southside to talk to the parts guy about it.
    After explaining the part he asks, “is that on the driver’s side of an Alumacraft TPro?”
    Me: Yep.

Then he proceeds to tell me the story. Those are tough to find. We ordered one for a guy a couple years back. It took forever to get here. By then the guy never returned to pick it up. Then the manufacture accidentally sent Dan’s a second recessed folding cup holder for a TPro.

Guessing these are the last two replacement parts available in a store in MN I said I’ll take it. Stupid me, why didn’t I buy them both on the spot. doah
    Knowing how tough it is to find a replacement, I am very careful with the existing holder. No cans or cups are in it while under way.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

If they are even going to consider putting a cell phone holder in a brand new 2018 boat they should make darn sure it fits 90% or better of standard smartphone sizes.

Pretty poor design and I think the OP has a right to be disappointed.

Agreed, even though this is a small detail, it seems like an obvious oversight by Lund. I placed an order for a 1875 impact XS late last month and that cell phone holder is about the only thing I don’t like about the boat… Other main thing is the limited cabin/compartment lighting (I can fix that).

I like the idea of trying a Dremel on the cell phone holder.

Otherwise the Impact is one sweet boat! Can’t wait for delivery *woot*

DonG

I would have paid $57,000 for that boat but the deal breaker… the phone holder..it didn’t fit my phone..whats wrong with these engineers? It’s all about my phone, I really wanted that boat.. yay

Pull your dress up Linda.. its a boat! chased

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would have paid $57,000 for that boat but the deal breaker… the phone holder..it didn’t fit my phone..whats wrong with these engineers? It’s all about my phone, I really wanted that boat.. yay

Pull your dress up Linda.. its a boat! chased

waytogo

Linda agrees…

wkw

And I thought I had problems…sheesh !

riverruns
    Inactive

And I thought I had problems…sheesh !

You do. They won’t go away. toast

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.