Music Preferences

• 404 ERROR
    MN

Give me a jingle some time. I’ll go with to shows. Atreyu is supposed to be putting out a new album this year. They are awesome live

I saw Atreyu at Vans Warped Tour when they were still at the Metrodome…different, but good.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

For any other metal heads I suggest doing a you tube search for frog leap studios, you won’t regret it.

I’ve got pretty much all I can find of Leo on Spotify in my playlist, have enjoyed his spin on things.

My most frequent playlist covers from A7X and FFDP to Lindsey Stirling and Blue Man Group. I pretty much just don’t do rap or pop. New “country” is also pretty low on my list.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Can never go wrong with 70s, 80s, 90s country or classic rock. George Strait, Clay Walker, Alan Jackson, Tracy Lawrence, the list could go on and on.

Most of what I currently listen to is Texas/Red Dirt Country.
    Josh Abbott
    Aaron Watson
    Casey Donahew
    Cody Johnson
    Randy Rogers

It seems like they all kinda switch to Nashville country eventually though and their sound slightly changes. Cody Johnson and Aaron Watson would be the latest to start getting national airplay lately. Eli Young Band a few years before that.

I love country music, and get a lot of friends that ask “oh so you like so and so (insert Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, and any other big name),” my response is always “yep, I absolutely love them from about 1995/2000 – 2010, anything since then- not so much.”

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Give me a jingle some time. I’ll go with to shows. Atreyu is supposed to be putting out a new album this year. They are awesome live

I saw Atreyu at Vans Warped Tour when they were still at the Metrodome…different, but good.

You better get used to it fast. It’s a long drive to rainy river in my truck here coming up soon

404 ERROR
    MN

You better get used to it fast. It’s a long drive to rainy river in my truck here coming up soon

I’ll be sure to bring my collection of Upchurch albums! devil

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Wow, no mention of the Alman Brothers?
    The Suburbs are great for old punk.
    Little Feat
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Queen
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    John Prine
    John Meloncamp

Deuces

Common, Nas, mos def, musiq, Dru hill, Anthony Hamilton, old Kanye, old Jay, some newer stuff.

I don’t ice fish much, but when I do Alan Jackson’s greatest hits always seem to gets played and it’s wonderful.

Podcasts seem to get more playtime for me lately, Irish history lately, entertaining.

bob

I share your enthusiasm for PHISH! Was able to catch all three shows in Chicago. But its already hard enough to get tickets so keep it quiet…

Attachments:
    1. maxresdefault.jpg

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

peace

yay

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

Needtobreathe
    Skillet
    Red
    Thousand Foot Krutch
    Zach Williams
    Older country before it became pop music (Alabama, etc)
    80’s and 90’s rock (Def Leppard, etc)
    Some modern rock just short of the screaming.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tornadochaser wrote:</div>
    red dirt

How dare you mention Red Dirt and not include Aaron Watson or Shotgun Rider!

LOL I knew somebody would pipe in claiming “you’re not a red dirt fan if you don’t listen to (artist)”.

Where did I say that? Never claimed you aren’t a red dirt fan. Calm your britches, Chief. Just pointing out some more music for you to check out. Sheesh

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I listen to country now. I don’t care that it’s pop country, although there are a lot of pop country artists that will make me change the station. Still listen to my favorite alternative band of all time, The Church, which is a little odd since my favorite artist now is Eric Church.

I love driving to Zach Brown because we have a similar range.

milemark_714

I listen to a large variety. Easier to say No Elevator music , no to most rap, and absolutely no “dance” music. Can’t stand this dance/pop crap that came out of the late 80’s and still contaminating the air

I’ll bet you got an earful of that when your daughters were young?

tornadochaser

red dirt

LOL I knew somebody would pipe in claiming “you’re not a red dirt fan if you don’t listen to (artist)”.

Where did I say that? Never claimed you aren’t a red dirt fan. Calm your britches, Chief. Just pointing out some more music for you to check out. Sheesh

Relax, don’t take things so serious. You missed the 15+ year old joke about red dirt music. It’s like a phrase that’s passed along at concerts or bars when people start talking about the genre. “you’re not a red dirt fan if you don’t listen to…” Usually said to noobs who don’t know Bruce/Charlie Robison, Pat Greene, etc.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

red dirt

Relax, don’t take things so serious.

rotflol ok my guy

404 ERROR
    MN

Get a room, folks. And fill it with some Red Dirt.

Kyhl
    Savage

Music is emotional. As such, people can get heated talking about it.

Cold Friday night with a Sierra Nevada Brut IPA. Rather than deal with records, I put the music server on random. Random play can often make me smile when weird schiit gets played together.
    A few songs in I was reminded of this thread.

Random Playlist starts out:
    1.) Miles Davis – Four
    2.) Sonic Youth – JC
    3.) BB King – It’s My Own Fault
    4.) Tchaikovsky – 1812 Overture
    5.) Mussorgsky – Ballet of the Chicks
    6.) Pink Floyd – Breathe
    7.) Rob Zombie – Living Dead Girl
    8.) Eric Clapton – May You Never
    9.) Grateful Dead – Unbroken Chain
    10.) Beach Boys – Finders Keepers
    …..
    15.) Mussorgsky – Marche Salve

I hadn’t heard #4 and # 15 anywhere close to each other before tonight so I never realized how much Mussorgsky ripped off of the Tchaikovsky. Googled it, they were written four years apart. More reading to do.
    Funny thought, lifting riffs going on since at least 1884. grin

Anyway, yeah, I like music.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Music is emotional. As such, people can get heated talking about it.

Cold Friday night with a Sierra Nevada Brut IPA. Rather than deal with records, I put the music server on random. Random play can often make me smile when weird schiit gets played together.
    A few songs in I was reminded of this thread.

Random Playlist starts out:
    1.) Miles Davis – Four
    2.) Sonic Youth – JC
    3.) BB King – It’s My Own Fault
    4.) Tchaikovsky – 1812 Overture
    5.) Mussorgsky – Ballet of the Chicks
    6.) Pink Floyd – Breathe
    7.) Rob Zombie – Living Dead Girl
    8.) Eric Clapton – May You Never
    9.) Grateful Dead – Unbroken Chain
    10.) Beach Boys – Finders Keepers
    …..
    15.) Mussorgsky – Marche Salve

I hadn’t heard #4 and # 15 anywhere close to each other before tonight so I never realized how much Mussorgsky ripped off of the Tchaikovsky. Googled it, they were written four years apart. More reading to do.
    Funny thought, lifting riffs going on since at least 1884. grin

Anyway, yeah, I like music.

We enjoy evening like that at our house. We dont watch very much TV and usually always have music going. The random button can mix it up pretty well.

Kyhl
    Savage

We enjoy evening like that at our house. We dont watch very much TV and usually always have music going. The random button can mix it up pretty well.

Turns out I have more tagging issues. “Marche Slave” is Tchaikovsky.
    Don’t know how that happened. Makes much more sense that way.
    More stuff to fix tomorrow.

Timmy

Maybe I missed it while skimming this, but nobody here listens to any polka ever?

Saturday mornings of my youth were marked by the polka show on 650AM while we drove to pelican lake to spear pike. As a little kid with the old guys back then, polka still generates memories that make me smile.

Kyhl
    Savage

Had to turn it down when the Mrs got home. Austin City Limits from the DVR.

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.

Any of you guys use spotify premium? We just started using it this December. My teenage daughter wanted a subscription, so we got a family plan as an xmas gift.

If you haven’t used it, the content available is pretty amazing. I have been maintaining and growing about 350gb of music data. Hindsight, I see that ive been wasting a lot of time and energy.

Recently I was listening to Spotify and a notice popped up saying something about newly available content was available that I might enjoy. It was a singles release of Levon and the Hawks, Levon Helms band before Bob Dylan got involved.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Maybe I missed it while skimming this, but nobody here listens to any polka ever?

Saturday mornings of my youth were marked by the polka show on 650AM while we drove to pelican lake to spear pike. As a little kid with the old guys back then, polka still generates memories that make me smile.

I’m 100% polish, so yeah, growing up I heard a lot of polka.

I also kind of miss listening to am on long drives. Be it classic country, polka or even the Mexican music that sounds like polka.

Kyhl
    Savage

Off season. Am about eight albums into the night. Switching from a big real beer to a small yellow beer.

Speed trap town gets me every time.

Kyhl
    Savage

Willie Dixon is the man.
    Switching to blues to end the night.

lundojam

Colter Wall is cool. Jason Isbell is, too; he’s the best songwriter of his generation.
    I do like a lot of older music as time tends to sort the wheat from the chaff. Songs don’t stick around for 50 years by accident; the good ones have staying power.

My favorite song is “Going the Distance” by Cake, on the other hand.

What passes for country radio in 2019 is an abomination of art, goodness, humanity, and everything else I hold dear as an American and citizen of the world. It causes me physical pain. I’d rather listen a guy count out twelve minnows for my five-dollar “dozen.”

fred bartling

And without Sister Rosetta Tharpe there might not have been a Chuck Berry:

So this last week I was in the Glacier Park area visiting my son. We rented a forest service cabin for the evening up in the mountains. Very cool setting with the tunes playing the lad shared tons of new music with me. First it was great when the teacher becomes the student as we spent many hours listening to my music. His list was deep from Zappa to bluegrass. After awhile he played Sister Rosetta Tharpe. I had never heard of her before and the first listen through was amazing and so much fun to see her influences on others. I spend the better part of last night listening to her music and wow.. so cool.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.