Music Preferences

• Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

A bit of a random post, but I was wondering what kind of music you folks listen to. The general stereotype for hunting/fishing folks is pretty much just country, but then again, one of my fishing buddies listens to death metal. I listen to bluegrass, some older country, some classic rock, and the metal where they don’t do the screaming. (etc. Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold) I also listen to Slipknot, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and System of a Down. Thanks for any responses!

deertracker

Slipknot
    5 Finger
    Bring me the horizon
    Pantera
    Plus heavier stuff
    DT

Sharon
    SE Metro

I like a little bit of lots of stuff, but my favorite is 90s alternative and rock. I also like metal and some of the newer bands I like are Five Finger Death Punch, Skillet, and System of a Down. Evanescence is one of my favorites, along with Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails. I like some country, if it’s older stuff (80s or 90s). And I never really got into rap, with one awesome exception: Regulate by Warren G. Great song.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Steppenwolf, Moody Blues, Iron Butterfly, The Who. I enjoy Irish pub ballads too. And country.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Skynard and CCR in boat, plus a little Croce

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Being from the 70’s/80’s
    Journey
    Foreigner
    AC/DC
    Boston

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I like a wide range.
    tom petty
    beastie boys
    rolling stones
    black sabbath
    credence
    just to name a few

my favorite is phish.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Classic Rock!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Ever changing listening habits as with the ever-changing music. Lots of new music and new artist to enjoy. So much out there and with my age I can’t remember their names and it does not help there is not a local station that plays this new stuff. The Current does but they have changed their format to push other stuff.
    Though, my go-to music is rather eclectic. I will go to original country like Hank, Johny, and the rest. Then I can go to Bruce Springsteen (prefer the early stuff) to Van Morison, John Hiatt, Bruce Cockburn Richard Thompson for Ballad music with power.
    Then there is Tom Waits, the guy is a genius that covers a wide spectrum of music. Leo Kottke picking guitar music.
    I too like Irish ballad music like the chieftans.
    Cant go wrong with Bob Dylan or The Kinks, Velvet Underground. Gramm Parsons.
    One thing, as I grew up in the 70’s 80’s and loved that music at that time but with the repetitiveness of the crappy KQRS and the rest of the so-called Classic Rock stations that flood the market in Mn I grew away from that music or is it driven away.
    I also like the locals from Suberbs, Replacements, Gear Daddies and others

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Slipknot
    5 Finger
    Bring me the horizon
    Pantera
    Plus heavier stuff
    DT

I’d add in lamb of God and tool thenthis would be my list here.
    But I also jam to lots of punk rock, classic rock, some country but not the crap that’s drowning the radio these days. If im by my self it’s probably metal, if the kids are with then its pink floyd , zeppelin, or jimi

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Incubus
    Limp bizkit
    Cody jinks
    Everything in between

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I listen to a large variety. Easier to say No Elevator music , no to most rap, and absolutely no “dance” music. Can’t stand this dance/pop crap that came out of the late 80’s and still contaminating the air

B-man

Pretty much anything but modern pop country…..

The radio is usually tuned to 93x locally, but it’s far from a great station…..too many Chili Peppers and Nirvana repeats….but the morning show is the best in the state.

I like rock, metal, classic rock, classic country and some indie stuff. I do have to say though, probably my favorite is more country-rooted lesser known guys like Ryan Bingham, Colter Wall, Tyler Childers, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Chris Knight, Shakey Graves, Charlie Parr etc etc

Snake ii’s

Slayer
    Iron Maiden
    Venom
    Motorhead
    Exodus
    Lamb of God
    Judas Priest
    Metallica – 80’s (the rest is lame)

I’m mostly get into what my buddy’s tease is “tough guy” blues. I do listen to a lot of Warren Hanes, Kenny Brown, Drive by Truckers and stuff like that. More recently I’ve been listening to Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real a bit. If you’re not annoyed by his voice, the band is excellent. Charlie Parr gets played a lot if my wife isn’t around to complain. My favorite artist of all time is probably Levon Helms. The new Les Claypool project is a good listen, pretty excited to see that. One of my favorite more recent concerts was LCD soundsystem.

bel canto > magnapan 10.2, MN made all the way!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Lately I’ve been listening to dio. Give me any eighties heavy metal, ozzy, metallica, iron maiden, mostly just put the serious radio on ozzys bone yard.

Kyhl
    Savage

Pretty much anything, except Nickleback, Cheap Trick, Journey or REO.

I’m not a big country or rap fan but still have more than a dozen must have albums of each on my music server. Honestly, I can’t stand the popular auto-tuned, overly compressed Nashville sound of the last two decades.
    For comparison, there are twice as many classical albums then country and rap combined in my library.

Spent two hours cleaning up tags on the music server Friday night. Get to work Monday, pull up this thread and within seconds realize that there are still tags to fix. It never ends.

Music is a necessity in life.

To quote Frank Zappa,
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Funny, but the radio in my truck and boat have never been turned on. I don’t need the noise pollution. I don’t mind if other people play the radio, but I never turn one on.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Some great lists here….I’m a metal guy and grunge since I was in high school during the grunge era. Metallica, Tool, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, STP, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc. I’ll go to some old school rap every once in awhile.

Not a huge fan of most new music but I’ll like Bring me the Horizon and Rise Against.

If anyone is looking for a great rock and roll band that plays here in the cities frequently look up the Ike Reilly Asassination. Awesome stuff and a great live band.

B-man

There’s some killer re-makes out there too.

I used a couple for our annual Isle Royale slideshow last summer waytogo

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Ten Years After
    Steely Dan
    Charlie Daniels
    Marshall Tucker
    ZZ Top
    Blackfoot
    George Thorogood
    Doors
    Eagles
    Jonny Cash
    Jackson Brown
    Tom Petty

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

90’s alternative rock and grunge…the last of the garage bands!

Kyhl
    Savage

Some great lists here….I’m a metal guy and grunge since I was in high school during the grunge era. Metallica, Tool, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, STP, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc. I’ll go to some old school rap every once in awhile.

Not a huge fan of most new music but I’ll like Bring me the Horizon and Rise Against.

If anyone is looking for a great rock and roll band that plays here in the cities frequently look up the Ike Reilly Asassination. Awesome stuff and a great live band.

The comment about high school setting up a person’s preferences is right on. Most people form their music preferences in their teenage to early 20’s. After that point their musical preferences usually stay fairly stagnant.

Reverse that, music preferences often coincides with the listener’s age. Last weekend I watched a video of a couple Millenials reviewing a Van Halen song that they had never heard before. It was quite eye opening to me. They loved it. They were shocked by the guitars.
    I was shocked that they had never heard that style before the reivew. All they knew was current pop and rap. A fourtyfive year old rock guitar song never occurred to them before this listening session.

I’m curious if they had heard Chuck Berry before and what they would think of his music. Without Chuck Berry there would be no guitar rock.

We probably take it for granted today. When I hear Chuck Berry I am taken back into that time. I marvel that the music he was making didn’t exist before him. Most people had never heard such guitar rock before he made it popular.

Kyhl
    Savage

I’m mostly get into what my buddy’s tease is “tough guy” blues. I do listen to a lot of Warren Hanes, Kenny Brown, Drive by Truckers and stuff like that. More recently I’ve been listening to Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real a bit. If you’re not annoyed by his voice, the band is excellent. Charlie Parr gets played a lot if my wife isn’t around to complain. My favorite artist of all time is probably Levon Helms. The new Les Claypool project is a good listen, pretty excited to see that. One of my favorite more recent concerts was LCD soundsystem.

bel canto > magnapan 10.2, MN made all the way!

Nice gear. We are blessed to have some great local manufacturers.

My system is mostly US made products.
    VAC – FL
    ARC – MN
    JRiver – MN
    Rythmik – TX
    Schiit – CA
    Sonus Faber – Italy. But I’m looking to possibly replace them with Salks from MI.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

My wife started to listen to 105FM lately. Lot of songs I haven’t heard for years and years. I admit, there are more than a few cheesy tracks, but it’s fun to hear something different for a change. Hip Hop, Rap, current hit list, etc. ……. big pass for me.

Pete

404 ERROR
    MN

Chris LeDoux
    Aaron lewis
    Tyler Childers
    Chris Knight
    Frank Foster
    Blackberry Smoke
    Cody Jinks

Volbeat
    A7X
    FFDP
    Offspring

I do have to say though, probably my favorite is more country-rooted lesser known guys like Ryan Bingham, Colter Wall, Tyler Childers, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Chris Knight, Shakey Graves, Charlie Parr etc etc

I really like Ryan Bingham’s Jingle and Go.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“m curious if they had heard Chuck Berry before and what they would think of his music. Without Chuck Berry there would be no guitar rock.”

And without Sister Rosetta Tharpe there might not have been a Chuck Berry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB_1OBWskU”

Enjoy.

S.R.

zooks

I pay attention to new music and the usual date with the FW is going to a show somewhere, we try to see 8-12 per year and they’re pretty varied – saw Neil Young and Kacey Musgraves recently, next two shows are Durand Jones and the Expectations and Lizzo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

B-Man has it with Colter Wall, we went to his show at First Ave last Thursday. Most YouTube clips are him solo but being this was his first big tour he had a full band who were really great – tight and sharp and you could tell they were old pros, they played a lot of his songs as up-tempo honky tonk and western swing. Hope you like it…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.