Mounting Onboard Battery Charger

• Ralph Bechtold

I’ll be mounting a new battery charger on my Adventure in the fishing rod holder compartment. You can see the location on these pictures.

My question is, has anyone mounted their charger to a piece of Starboard instead of directly to the aluminum?

Attachments:
    1. 20191201_094149.jpg

2. 20191201_094122.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Absolutely, fuse blocks and just about anything else that I mount in the boat that is electrical. Also use composite decking as it is a lot cheaper than starboard.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

You could also use rubber “well nuts”, if you are looking to electrically isolate the charger from the hull.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. well-nuts.jpg

Ralph Bechtold

Well nuts would be nice. Unfortunately I cannot get below the mounting area to mount them from underneath where I’d like to have it.

I guess I’ll either stick to the Starboard plan (already bought it) or (most likely) take it to a dealer to have them mount the charger and trolling motor.

I’ve started to think that I’m way over my head because I don’t have lots of confidence in my ability to do a good job unfortunately and I don’t know anyone nearby who has the ability to help me do a good job.

I’m always screwing something up.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Well nuts would be nice. Unfortunately I cannot get below the mounting area to mount them from underneath where I’d like to have it.

Just to clarify, the rubber well nuts do not require bottom-side access. They are very similar to an expansion plug, you drill a hole, push them in, and when you insert the screw and tighten, they expand.

HRG

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’ll be mounting a new battery charger on my Adventure in the fishing rod holder compartment. You can see the location on these pictures.

Keep in mind, chargers put out a fair amount of heat. The area where they are mounted should have good ventilation.

Ralph Bechtold

Thanks for clarifying. Looks like the best option now.

Ralph Bechtold

Appreciate it Dave. It’ll be at the lowest part of the fishing rod storage area so I can lift the cover while charging.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Looks like you could bridge those edge rails and keep the charger off the floor where water might get to it.

Ralph Bechtold

It is actually high enough (pics don’t show that very well). If water raises that high in that compartment I’ll have more to worry about than the charger. In fact I think it’ll be a little higher than the TM batteries. But thanks for your thought/concern (somebody has to look out for me!).

Ralph Bechtold

Hot Runr Guy, I mounted my charger today after getting the well nuts. Thanks for the tip on the well nuts. They work GREAT!

The charger is doing it’s job now charging all 3 batteries so I didn’t screw that up. Next will be the trolling motor but I’m going to wait for a little warmer day for that.

Thanks again for your help.

Ralph Bechtold

Hot Runr Guy, I mounted my charger today after getting the well nuts. Thanks for the tip on the well nuts. They work GREAT!

The charger is doing it’s job now charging all 3 batteries so I didn’t screw that up. Next will be the trolling motor but I’m going to wait for a little warmer day for that.

Ralph Bechtold

Ralph Bechtold

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

You’re welcome!

HRG

Scott

I realize I’m bumping a really old thread, but I’m replacing my old MinnKota 315d that used to sit down in the lowest section of this part of my adventure 1775. New MK330pcl doesn’t fit in that low compartment. Did you mount on the top step closest to your rods without issue? Just want to make sure I’m not popping a hole into a gas tank or something.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Charged my 3 lithiums last night charger hits 150 degrees . Not ready to mount in boat yet as it’s in the garage every night .Plus it’s another 15 lbs of weight .

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Charged my 3 lithiums last night charger hits 150 degrees .

Using a digital infrared thermometer to get this reading? I don’t think most folks realize just how much heat is generated.

Scott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>
    Charged my 3 lithiums last night charger hits 150 degrees .

Using a digital infrared thermometer to get this reading? I don’t think most folks realize just how much heat is generated.

Yeah I’m not worried about the act of charging. The boat and the charger are designed to handle that. Again I’m curious if I can mount on the upper shelf location as described in the first picture without puncturing something. My Lund came from the dealer with the charger on the lowest spot in the rod locker, and that’s where it has been until I needed to change for lithium charging upgrade.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.