Motorguide Vs. Minnkota

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

Hi everyone. Getting ready to upgrade my TM, I currently have an older model Terrova 80 and I’m looking at either a newer Terrova or a Motorguide Xi5. Has anyone made this switch? I like my current minnkota just fine but the motorguide looks nice too and the wireless foot pedal is a plus for me. I will not be networking a graph so that is a non-factor for me.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have a newer bluetooth model terrova in the classifieds if that is what you decide on. No experience with the newer motor guides, I do like the screen on the minnkota models.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Thanks Dusty I’ll take a look

mojogunter

I went from a terrova to a Xi5 on my last boat. The spot lock is way better on the Xi5 than the last generation terrova. I hated the Xi5 remote with no screen to tell you what level you were at. You had to listen how many beeps and that is quiet. If you run lowrance you can see the level on the locator so the remote wouldn’t be an issue. I also hated how weak the signal was on the terrova’s remote I had in the past. I had to have it pointing straight up in the air to get it to turn. I bought a different boat, and on this one I switched to a ulterra from the terrova it came with. The new ulterra remote is way better than the older terrova remote. I have had a few issues with the ulterra, but for the most part I like it. I really like the self deploy in big waves. I have heard from a reliable source that motor guides customer service isn’t great if you have an issue, but mine never had a issue, so I guess the bad Customer service is hearsay. I would say if you run Lowrance you will most likely be happy with the Xi5. Like I said the remote is what I had an issue with. Other than that I really liked the motor guide.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

x2 on Motorguide
    take a look through previous forums and count the issues with Minnkota vs Motorguide. Especially for you not needing all the extra bells and whistles.
    just sayin whistling

Cody Meyers

I went from a new model Terrova to an Xi5 on my current boat. I do not believe that I will be getting another Motorguide. The anchor function does not seem to work that well, it’s ok when it decides to work. Other times it just spins itself up into tight circles or continually spins the boat, my Terrova seemed to be much better in that regard. The compass heading or autopilot feature is total junk on mine as well, not sure if I’m the oddball in my experience there or not. If I lock on a heading and don’t pay attention I’ll be headed way way off course shortly, bad enough to the point that I don’t use the feature anymore.

I don’t like the remote on the Xi5 either.

The wireless foot pedal on the Motorguide is nice and it seems faster/more responsive, but I could easily get over that.

Lastly, I paid for the gateway link so that I could use all the features on the troller along with my graphs. It made it nearly unusable and customer service wasn’t much help there. I eventually unplugged the gateway and the troller works better now, but not like it should in my opinion. That is a frustration that you wouldn’t have as you don’t plan to link them, but to me it’s a drag to pay for and then leave unhooked.

YMMV

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

x2 on Motorguide
    take a look through previous forums and count the issues with Minnkota vs Motorguide. Especially for you not needing all the extra bells and whistles.
    just sayin whistling

I would expect to here more about MinnKota as they out sell all other trolling motors, when you do not have that much product out there your not going to hear as much for problems. Besides one friend that had MinnKota but Lowrance units he just got the new Ghost other then him I do not even know anyone running Motorguide.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I really really wish Minnkota would build spot lock and a wireless remote into the Vantage. I would buy that setup without a second thought.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I really really wish Minnkota would build spot lock and a wireless remote into the Vantage. I would buy that setup without a second thought.

Spot lock! Yes! I have been saying it for a while.

lunker2

Cody, I assume you have done the calibration procedure. I have a 55 Xi5 and can run all day on a charge on a lake. I am Ok on the remote by just looking at the locator as per speed and lights on the motor. I find it easier the fumbling for the remote.

milemark_714

I went from a new model Terrova to an Xi5 on my current boat. I do not believe that I will be getting another Motorguide. The anchor function does not seem to work that well, it’s ok when it decides to work. Other times it just spins itself up into tight circles or continually spins the boat, my Terrova seemed to be much better in that regard. The compass heading or autopilot feature is total junk on mine as well, not sure if I’m the oddball in my experience there or not. If I lock on a heading and don’t pay attention I’ll be headed way way off course shortly, bad enough to the point that I don’t use the feature anymore.

I don’t like the remote on the Xi5 either.

The wireless foot pedal on the Motorguide is nice and it seems faster/more responsive, but I could easily get over that.

Lastly, I paid for the gateway link so that I could use all the features on the troller along with my graphs. It made it nearly unusable and customer service wasn’t much help there. I eventually unplugged the gateway and the troller works better now, but not like it should in my opinion. That is a frustration that you wouldn’t have as you don’t plan to link them, but to me it’s a drag to pay for and then leave unhooked.

YMMV

Take the cover off the head,and see if you have the new updated module.The old ones are encased in rubber,and the new one is in hard plastic.I had the original one from 2014 and it did the same thing as yours.Wrapped up to the point that it broke the wires leading into the base.All the advice and updates from MG did very little.I updated mine and have none of the issues I had before.

Cody Meyers

Will do! That’s why I like this place, I’d never seen this piece of advice before.

Were you able to order the new module directly from Motorguide? Any rough idea on the cost? I’d love it if this also fixed the heading for autopilot feature.

Also, are you running the Gateway Link on yours?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I did a whole lot more research and sold my Terrova Yesterday. I honestly think, as silly as it sounds, I’m just going to get a new Terrova. I want the better spot lock, I want the bluetooth (friends fishing in the bow would routinely get in the way of my remote’s signal before), and I really wanted some sort of lift assist. I’m fine with lifting heavy/ cumbersome stuff, but typically it’s whoever is sitting in front who deploys and stows for me. That’s either my dad, a friend, my wife, etc. Sounds like new Terrova has a lift assist feature which fits me needs and doesn’t break the bank like Ulterra does. I also, like many others, am irrationally afraid of motor issues with the Ulterra. If my deploy motor goes out I don’t want to be stuck in limbo. FOr this reason I was looking at Ultrex, but that unit is also extremely expensive (and tough to find around here for some reason???). So going with a new Terrova I think is my answer.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have 3rd Generation Terrova. Spot lock is great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.