Minnesota River Flats

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

So RyanK and I have been putting our efforts into finding some flat heads. These pictures are from the last two days out on the Minnesota River. RyanK pulled the biggest with it being 35 x 19 (which we only had a cell phone for a camera ) and I came in with the second biggest and my PB best fish at 32 x 16.

We have not been able to find the monsters, but wow do these little fish even put up a fight. We have had no problem landing these 10-20 lb fish from our canoe and look forward to trying the bigger ones!

Most of these guys were caught in log jams in roughly 4-6 FOW. First night we used strictly big sucker minnows – second night we used a combination of bullies and minnows.

Thanks for all the great tips IDO members as they seem to have been paying off!

In one of the pictures you can actually still see the bullhead sticking out of the flats mouth.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Nice fish and thanks for the report. People get kinda calloused and don’t report anything but huge ones but I just like to know if the fish are biting at all, especially this time of year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Using a canue must be a hoot!

So from your trip what worked better that suckers or bullies?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I would have to say it was a tie. Suckers did real well the first night with putting about 4 fish in the boat, and within 2 minutes of having our first sucker in RyanK hit that 35 x 19. Night two was kind of the same – within 5 minutes of putting the bullhead in I got the 32 x 16, and 3 more fish on bullheads, however, we got 2 fish on suckers too that night.

The bullheads have a lot more action that is for sure.

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice fish Mates! Way to dial it in. Hang in there big momma is not far out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.