MN new flag. Y or N?

• Atavar

I would have thought Paul Bunyan and Babe would be great.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Didn’t buy the old one, won’t buy the new one. Don’t give a rip, except for the taxpayers’ money wasted on it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

They say the blue “K” looking thing on the left looks like the state of MN. I’ve been following the new seal/new flag process and not once did I think that. I thought this ranked 3rd of the final 3.
    To me it looks too much like a flag of a country.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

From a CBSnews.com article:

For both the flag and the seal, new designs “must accurately and respectfully reflect Minnesota’s shared history, resources, and diverse cultural communities,” but “symbols, emblems, or likenesses that represent only a single community or person, regardless of whether real or stylized, may not be included in a design,” according to state law.

So for the seal, they removed “L’Etoile du Nord” and replaced it with “Mni Sóta Makoc̣e”, a Dakota Indian phrase. Adding this phrase goes directly against the guidelines. Why did they pick Dakota over the Ojibwe?

From the article: “If we are going to include a language within the seal, really thinking about the first language of this land, paying respect to that,” said Kate Beane, a member of the commission and a Dakota woman who spent years as director of Native American Initiatives for the Minnesota Historical Society.

I’ve never owned or flown the old flag design. I may order an old one while I can. When the new ones come out maybe I’ll order a few of those also and burn them on my front lawn. lol

CaptainMusky

20k is what I remember hearing.

No chance! What is it going to cost to replace all the flags throughout the state that are currently being flown?

CaptainMusky

I think the new state seal design looks nice. Just put that on a flag.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Woofda.

That flag looks dumb.

As a Minnesota resident but born Wisconsinite, I’ll just have to fly my Wisconsin flag a little higher to hold the line against pointless flag changes.

Tom schmitt

So for the seal, they removed “L’Etoile du Nord” and replaced it with “Mni Sóta Makoc̣e”, a Dakota Indian phrase. Adding this phrase goes directly against the guidelines. Why did they pick Dakota over the Ojibwe?

So they are going to to change the wording on the flag from a language that no one really speaks to a language that even fewer people speak.
    That’s government at its finest.

PartyMax

From X formerly known as twitter

Attachments:
    1. 2023-12-17_10-19-57.jpg

Reef W

Aww, I thought it was just an upside down Sierra Leone with a Djibouti star but now Big Somalia is in on it too?

Reef W

Also, now that they made the loons eye red on the seal I don’t think we can rule out Uzbekistan influence either, no way all those colors are a coincidence yay

RT
    Twin Cities

Coincidence? Interesting.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231217_112319.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

This site needs a “things to be outraged about today” section so members can easily get to topics like this.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The only thing missing on that flag is a yellow stripe….representing the gutless leaders(?) in St. Paul who have never said no to the fringe crowd.

I wonder if they will even admit to their grandchildren that they were in power during this bizarre time of our states history.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you guys had your way it would end up looking like this.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0838.png

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Coincidence? Interesting.

Sheesh.. that is bad.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

So they are going to to change the wording on the flag from a language that no one really speaks to a language that even fewer people speak.

2020 MN population – 5.657 million

2020 native Americans in MN – 54,558 0.96%

So, “they” propose to put a phrase on the seal that represents less than 1% of the population of the state (the Ojibwe Native Americans are also part of the 2020 estimate).
    The “they” is the 13-member committee tasked to come up with a new seal and flag designs. It’s generally accepted that more than 10 is too many.
    Steve Simon objected to the language change. Let’s hope the legislature has the balls to remove it.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom schmitt wrote:</div>

2020 MN population – 5.657 million

2020 native Americans in MN – 54,558 0.96%

So, “they” propose to put a phrase on the seal that represents less than 1% of the population of the state (the Ojibwe Native Americans are also part of the 2020 estimate).
    The “they” is the 13-member committee tasked to come up with a new seal and flag designs. It’s generally accepted that more than 10 is too many.
    Steve Simon objected to the language change. Let’s hope the legislature has the balls to remove it.

I’d take one step farther and of that .96 % can actually speak it. No disrespect but I doubt half of that number can speak or understand it. Kinda sad actually.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d take one step farther and of that .96 % can actually speak it. No disrespect but I doubt half of that number can speak or understand it. Kinda sad actually.

Sad is right. Especially when you consider why that is.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gregory wrote:</div>

Whoa there, that’s asking an awful lot.

MX1825

Yep that new flag has MN history displayed perfectly. whistling

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Google: how many Dakota Indians in mn

Click on the first hit: “History on the Dakota in Minnesota”

In the last paragraph:

“There are about 4000 Dakota people in Minnesota, with only an estimated 8 fluent speakers remaining.”

brandyman
    West central MN

Wow. I thought it looked stupid before, now I see that x post and all I can say is really? No one caught that?

Pitter patter

Nice colors, very progressive, definitely should not offend anyone

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gregory wrote:</div>

That’s not on you and I. Or any of us here.

Personally I don’t care what the flag looks like, but they had a opportunity to make a great flag and failed.
    Mr hamm. Luckily you didn’t have to put on your protesting shoes. I imagine it was a close one.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

this thread is hilarious. quite a few “i never flew the old flag, never paid attention to it, but NOW, this new flag, it’s dumb and im now an old flag person”. Thanks for the laughs.
    for the record, the new flag is dumb.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

A buddy said the new MN flag reads to him how the Somalia’s are slowly taking over the state from the heart of MN. I laughed. But that is all I now see after seeing the post PartyMax shared from twitter.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.