MN license and the Mississippi

• prieser
    Byron, MN

So an interesting topic came up over the weekend. What is the natural/man made boundry to fish the Mississippi and it’s tributaries/back waters into the WI side of the river?? Is the rail road tracks off of 35? Guess I am just curious at what point my MN license is no good.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

RR tracks was always my understanding. Any bridges etc. Wisconsin channel is all good. P4

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Correct. Anything between the RR bed on either side is considered part of Pool 4. Also keep in mind that when fishing P4 and other border waters, a person MUST possess a license from their home address state.

Example: A person living in WI could NOT just buy an out-of-state MN license and fish the border waters between WI and MN.

I had a buddy nearly get burnt by this years back. He lives in WI but only fishes just P3, P4, and some lakes in Northern MN. He intended on only buying an out-of-state MN license. The WI warden let him off with a warning as we were just leaving the water, but this was years ago.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Correct. Anything between the RR bed on either side is considered part of Pool 4. Also keep in mind that when fishing P4 and other border waters, a person MUST possess a license from their home address state.

Example: A person living in WI could NOT just buy an out-of-state MN license and fish the border waters between WI and MN.

I had a buddy nearly get burnt by this years back. He lives in WI but only fishes just P3, P4, and some lakes in Northern MN. He intended on only buying an out-of-state MN license. The WI warden let him off with a warning as we were just leaving the water, but this was years ago.

I’m lazy, can you tell where to find this in the reg. booklet?

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

So an interesting topic came up over the weekend. What is the natural/man made boundry to fish the Mississippi and it’s tributaries/back waters into the WI side of the river?? Is the rail road tracks off of 35? Guess I am just curious at what point my MN license is no good.

Page 61 of the Mn DNR Fishing Regulations booklet:
    Mississippi River (downstream of the Hwy. bridge in Prescott, Wisconsin and all waters
    between the Burlington Northern [Wisconsin] and Canadian Pacific [Minnesota]
    railroad tracks). Lake Pepin, St. Croix River, Lake St. Croix, St. Louis River, St. Louis Bay,
    and Superior Bay.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

I’m lazy, can you tell where to find this in the reg. booklet?

Page 53:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing_regs.pdf#view=fit&pagemode=bookmarks

-J.

404 ERROR
    MN

Also keep in mind that when fishing P4 and other border waters, a person MUST possess a license from their home address state.

This has gotten many uninformed anglers in trouble in the past. I know it sounds goofy, but it’s true. If you are not a resident of either state, you can buy either one to meet the requirements. When my brother moved to WI, he said he would just buy a non-resident MN license since he only fished the big MN Walleye lakes and P4…glad he was informed of the rule before he got in trouble.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I don’t want to hijack the thread but this goes hand and hand with the topic. When fishing boarder waters and you have a MN license, you can only use one rod (because during the summer you are only allowed one line) But if you had a WI license you can use 2 rods on the boarder waters.
    Thank you for settling the debate I was in last week. whistling

prieser
    Byron, MN

Wisconsin–Minnesota Regulations
    • Two lines with a single lure or bait on each are permitted. If fishing with one line, you may use two baits

From the rule book. You can fish with two lines on the boarder waters.

4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

“I don’t want to hijack the thread but this goes hand and hand with the topic. When fishing boarder waters and you have a MN license, you can only use one rod (because during the summer you are only allowed one line) But if you had a WI license you can use 2 rods on the boarder waters.”

Tuma, I am not sure if this was tongue and cheek or if you were serious. If you were being serious, this is incorrect. When fishing the MN / Wisconsin border waters with your MN license you can use either two rods or one rods with two baits (Dubuque rig). There is actually another variation to this law if you are on the Wisconsin side of the river but we will not go into that part.
    So, if you are licensed in MN you can use two lines or two lures anywhere within the MN/Wisconsin border waters whether you are on open water or ice.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

So, if you are licensed in MN you can use two lines or two lures anywhere within the MN/Wisconsin border waters whether you are on open water or ice.

It feels good to be right. That is what I thought.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also note that “Border Water” on the Mississippi river starts at Prescott where the St Croix dumps in. See “confused” anglers north of there from time to time…. coffee Pool 1 and 2 are inland waters. Pool 3 from the dam to Prescott are also Mn inland waters.

-J.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I don’t want to hijack the thread but this goes hand and hand with the topic. When fishing boarder waters and you have a MN license, you can only use one rod (because during the summer you are only allowed one line) But if you had a WI license you can use 2 rods on the boarder waters.
    Thank you for settling the debate I was in last week. whistling

Brian should chime in soon on this one since this an old discussion. 2007 or so….It got quite hot so don’t blame me….
    On the WI side anyone that are legal to fish the boundary waters,be it WI or MN can fish 3 lines on the WI side or two 2 lines on the MN side…..you follow the laws of the state your physically in…

As Jon posted….from page 53 Mn regs ”
    If fishing regulations differ between the border states, what regulations
    do I follow?
    You must obey the regulations of the state in which you are fishing. More permissive
    regulations are limited to that state’s waters. Using number of lines as an example:
    In Wisconsin waters anglers may use 3 lines, but in Minnesota waters anglers may only
    use two lines.”

Dave maze
    Isanti

Can I use 3 lines if I have a mn license and a wi non res license?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

That is correct for ice fishing. I can’t speak with 100% certainty for open water, as I only run 2 lines anywhere I am on P4 in the boat. If it’s slow enough action that I can fish 3 lines, swap baits, drop waypoints, and drive the boat when trolling without issue…I need to look elsewhere for fish.

A Wisconsin CO confirmed on the ice for me 2 years ago, that as long as we were on the WI jurisdiction of the border waters, we may use 3 lines through the ice. If we would have been on the MN side, it would have only been 2 lines as enforced by Minnesota COs.

“You follow the laws of the state that has jurisdiction where you are fishing” – or so we were told.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I believe the Sconnie CO would be in error. If you are a MN resident the only license you can fish a border water with is a MN license and in accordance with the MN refs regarding Wisconsin/MN border waters 2 rods are allowed for open water. If an angler fishing WS/MN border water with two baits on a line (Dubuque rig), only one rod can be used. If I am not mistaken three single hook flies can be fished on a single line and still have that rod count as one. I don’t ice fish so you’re on your own in that department but if you are a MN resident, get your information from a MN officer as he/she knows OUR laws more concisely than a Sconnie officer.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

This was a post from BK. A question and answer via email from a Mn CO

Brian, in regards to your first question. It is ILLEGAL for WI residents and people licensed as non-residents from WI to use Bluegills or fish with 3 lines on the MN side of the river. So yes they could get a ticket if they do it.

Am I wrong in saying that we need to follow the rules of the state we are licensed FISHING in from train track to train track. Of course a MN resident must be licensed in MN and WI from WI. Any other state can be licensed from whichever state they chose.

In regards to question number 2. Any person who can legally fish on the border waters would be able to use 3 lines on the WI side and be able to use Bluegills. If you refer to page 48 of the 2011 fishing synopsis it tells you that you can exercise more liberal fishing regulations as long as you are in the waters of the bordering state.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

If you are in WI waters…..Yes…..

I can’t speak with 100% certainty for open water,

Open water or ice….3 lines WI side….2 lines MN side

Am I wrong in saying that we need to follow the rules of the state we are licensed in from train track to train track

Technically yes…you are wrong…
    The license is good but you follow the laws of the state you’re physically fishing in -the state line is the dividing line…..

Again read page 53 in the MN regulations book….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good point Mudshark. It’s all in the wording!

If a person just thinks of a fishing license like a drivers license you’ll be good.

I have a MN D/L. When traveling on I-94 towards WI the speed limit is 70. When I’m crossing the bridge it turns to 65 in WI.

I can’t drive the MN speed limit (70) in WI (65).

It’s funny, the DNR changed the wording a few years back to help lessen the confusion on the border waters. Not seem to help much. LOL!

On a side note…if you are from any state other than MN, you would be better off buying a WI fishing license (if you are taking fish home).
    MN’s possession limit is 6 walleye/saugers.
    WI’s possession limit is 12 walleye/saugers.

Now don’t EVEN ask me about having a MN license and only fishing the WI side and have 12 fish in your possession. Six from yesterday and six from today…all I’ll say is “you’ll have some ‘splaining to do”.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>1hl&sinker wrote:</div>
    Am I wrong in saying that we need to follow the rules of the state we are licensed in from train track to train track

The license is good but you follow the laws of the state you’re physically fishing in -the state line is the dividing line…..

I believe that was covered in the last response in the copy and paste I posted. wave
    I appreciate the page # for reference my tablet ran out of juice when I found the new wording for the 2018 regs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave maze wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave maze wrote:</div>

I believe that was coverered in the last response from the copy and paste I posted toast
    Thanks for posting the page# from the 2018 regs.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I believe that was covered in the last response in the copy and paste I posted. wave
    I appreciate the page # for reference my tablet ran out of juice when I found the new wording for the 2018 regs

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well bud…..I’m having a hard time deciphering what you meant exactly but I think I do….As long as the question was answered it’s all good grin
    toast

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Oh, jimminy! I’m not sure what happened there Mudshark that mess sure was not my intension. I think my tablet is on its last legs. doah

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.