MN High School Hockey Tournament

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

I havent been able to watch any of the games from home because directv stream doesnt have 45. The satellite does however since I watched games at the bar yesterday. Weird.
    Im not watching it on my PC.

Stream it on your phone and cast it to your TV. We were able to do that in the middle of LOTW last year, c’mon Musky I thought you were in IT?!? jester

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s the AA preview from the guy that runs the bracket:

Time for the big schools. AA will bring a new perspective, a new vibe this year. 6 teams are fresh from a year ago, Edina and Cretin being the only returning squads. The Thunderhawks are down from Grand Rapids as the only AA section #1-seed to advance, all the other 1-seeds are sitting on the couch, including season long top ranked powerhouse Minnetonka. What we have here is opportunity and remember what legendary coach Herb Brooks said, “great moments are born from great opportunity.”

Opening game we get our first look at the Chanhassen team. Don’t let the bright lights blind you boys. They are good, fast, physical and a very serious threat to win this whole thing on Saturday, if they don’t get lost in the moment. 14 Gavin Uhlenkamp. Watch this kid, if you can see him. He might be the fastest skater in the state. 54 points in 23 games. His linemate 9 Jack Christ too, they are a dynamic duo. They face off against Roch. Century/JM. Best thing about these guys being here means that a Lakeville team is not. Expect Chan to bring the high pressure and breeze to victory.

Second game in the opening session is 3-seed Centennial taking on Cretin. The Cougars have been on a roll, 16-3 since the turn of the new year. 17 Searles and 5 Nelson, studs. Cretin doesn’t do it for me, any which way I try to look at it. Their schedule was weak, their record was sub-par and they look atrocious in that purple and gold. Raiders will put up a fight but money is in on Centennial to advance.

The dinner slate, the 1-seed game. Cool story for the Elk River Elks making it to state as the 4-seed in their section, hope it was fun, things are about to change. They draw hated yet top seeded Edina in primetime. Expect the Hornets to control all aspects of this game.

The night cap looks to be the game of the day, same as tonight. White Bear v. Grand Rapids. These two programs have storied histories in St. Paul but the trip to our states capital has become less frequent for both. Grand Rapids played one of the most difficult schedules in the state to prepare them for moments like this. They don’t score a lot but they don’t give you an inch either, an absolute “grinder” team. On the other bench the Bears are here because they finally took down Hill-Murray in the section final. Don’t underestimate WBL, they know this is a business trip, they don’t make it here often, they want to make the most of it. This match-up should go the distance.

CaptainMusky

Stream it on your phone and cast it to your TV. We were able to do that in the middle of LOTW last year, c’mon Musky I thought you were in IT?!?

Ive tried to do that before, but for some reason it didnt want to work. I will try it again.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Channel 45 is part of the basic free channel lineup I think (along with 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, and 23). You should be able to get those with an antennae.

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Stream it on your phone and cast it to your TV. We were able to do that in the middle of LOTW last year, c’mon Musky I thought you were in IT?!?

Ive tried to do that before, but for some reason it didnt want to work. I will try it again.

Do you have an iPhone or Android?
    DT

CaptainMusky

Android. I have a Vizio TV and I have read online that its quirky with those tvs

deertracker

Android. I have a Vizio TV and I have read online that its quirky with those tvs

If you have a laptop that would be your best bet. HDMI to the TV. I have both phones and a Vizio TV. My iPhone is a lot easier to screen mirror over the Android.
    DT

CaptainMusky

If you have a laptop that would be your best bet. HDMI to the TV. I have both phones and a Vizio TV. My iPhone is a lot easier to screen mirror over the Android.
    DT

I will see if I have an hdmi lying around. Yeah, I have heard iPhones are a lot better than Android for this.

Justin riegel

Headed out now for the midday games. Hoping Centennial plays like they did in sections.

CaptainMusky

Ive been thinking how fun it would be if they had the AA championship game at us bank. I wonder how full it would be? 30k?

CaptainMusky

Chan starting to pull away. Century goalie is not good.

deertracker

Was that Cretin’s own player that tipped that in?
    DT

CaptainMusky

Yeah, it doesnt appear my tv has bluetooth so its not working. I have the app for airplay but I obviously cannot use that. I thought I had some screencast app on my phone but cannot find it anymore, probably deleted it because I couldnt get it to work likely because tv doesnt appear to have bluetooth.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Cretin/Centennial is a close, even game.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

So far it looks like the opening round games have played out about as expected. Who’s going to be the 1st upset ?

Gitchi Gummi

Do kids not have to wear mouth guards anymore? Back when I played, you could get a penalty if found not wearing it and if I remember right, it had to be connected to your cage. Closeups on the ice and bench of the tourney and I see lots of kids with no mouth guards. Not a great look knowing what we now know about brain injuries in contact sports.

Also, maybe I’m getting old but I hate it when someone scores and rather than celebrating with their teammates, they have to skate out into center ice to showboat their celly with their teammates chasing them.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yes you are getting old. grin

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do kids not have to wear mouth guards anymore? Back when I played, you could get a penalty if found not wearing it and if I remember right, it had to be connected to your cage.

Same for me, they were required, but they didn’t have to be attached to the face shield. Maybe they don’t attach very well to the fish bowl itechs you see a lot of players using now. I can definitely recall some of my teammates/opponents getting booted for not having a mouth guard 20 years ago.

My guess is that they are optional now. Whole lotta players without one.

Gitchi Gummi

Yes you are getting old. grin

Touché. Still not as old as you wink

I don’t mind when they go to celebrate in front of their own student section.. but skating to center ice, blowing off the guy(s) who most likely assisted your goal, is weird.

My guess is that they are optional now. Whole lotta players without one

I think you’re right. They’re optional in both the NHL and NFL which blows my mind considering the inherent concussion issues plaguing both sports, not to mention CTE.

I’m curious for those that have kids in youth hockey, are your kids rocking mouth gaurds?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Double OT! Cretin made a helluva come back to tie this up after being down 3-0, hopefully they close the deal for the first upset!

foulpole18
    North Branch, MN

Would love to see the end but channel 5’s app is the biggest pos.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cretin with a beauty to win it, and kid riding high in the post gamer with Lou, “we were dominating them all game!” Hahaha love it, we will just ignore the 3-0 deficit that should have been a lot more early rotflol rotflol

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    No chance in A. Centennial – CDH maybe ??

Doubt it. CDH played well down the stretch but centennial has some high end talent.

moon jester

tswoboda

Musky you don’t have a single streaming device in you house? Like a Roku, fire stick, chromecast, apple TV, anything like that??

Ripjiggen

Touche was at the game centennial ran out of gas after the first. CDH stuck to their game and tried to keep it simple and just wore them down.
    Fun game to watch. CDH better get some rest.

Centennial also tried to play the long stretch pass game instead of making the simple break out play. Cost them for sure.

CDH adjusted a little and made their game smaller and shorter which is actually more their game. Centennial did not.

Happy for them know a bunch of kids and families there.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, after Edina steamrolled over Elk River, now the nightcap which should be one of today’s better matchups.

Can WBL win a quarter final game? Finally…

Oops. The Rapids strikes first.n 1-0.

Ripjiggen

Ahh cripes it’s past my bed time for OT.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.