MN DNR is concerned

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I think a lot of it may have to do with perceived changes in the cost necessary to participate effectively.

My 1st set-up was a Zebco 404. I fished off the dock and with my Dad out of a 14′ boat with a 10hp outboard. Hook and minnow, hook and angle worm, jig and minnow, etc.

50 years later, add much bigger boat, more powerful outboard(s), depth finder potentially costing over $1,000, GPS, rod and reel set-ups for every scenario… If you watch a fishing show on TV, pay attention to the chatter on websites like this, or go fishing with one of us, it appears the cost to do this is pretty high. I think that scares new participants away.

The new wave of people fishing from kayaks has me hopeful that they will lead a new wave of people to fishing at a lower cost.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Also trapping from Kayaks in the shallow water of creeks, it opens new doors even over canoes.

Charles

I think a lot of it may have to do with perceived changes in the cost necessary to participate effectively.

My 1st set-up was a Zebco 404. I fished off the dock and with my Dad out of a 14′ boat with a 10hp outboard. Hook and minnow, hook and angle worm, jig and minnow, etc.

50 years later, add much bigger boat, more powerful outboard(s), depth finder potentially costing over $1,000, GPS, rod and reel set-ups for every scenario… If you watch a fishing show on TV, pay attention to the chatter on websites like this, or go fishing with one of us, it appears the cost to do this is pretty high. I think that scares new participants away.

The new wave of people fishing from kayaks has me hopeful that they will lead a new wave of people to fishing at a lower cost.

ehh I have to disagree with the kayaks,

I love the idea but they are pushing them and saying how they cheap they are, have you look at the price range of what they are pushing? Freaking hobie is like $3500, you can get a decent little boat that you can fish with your family in.

Its all about what your priorities in life, yes families are busy but you can make time to fish if you want to, its a 50/50 relationship with your spouse/family.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.