MN CWD Late Season Hunt

• riverruns
    Inactive

So the shooting of these deer to reduce the herd does what? Has anyone looked for the end results of what WI accomplished when it was first discovered in this state? Seems to be gone here with the $ that was spent trying to eradicate it? jester

Randy W. didn’t you go through this? How did or does it affect you yet? There must me others here that went through this in WI?

mike mulhern

I live in Wisconsin and the disease has spread despite the eradication attempt. The deer was at a game farm less than 20 miles from land I own in Wisconsin and they did kill off his deer herd and paid him top dollar for his loss. Were any deer tested for cwd in our area? Not that I’m aware of as we don’t bring our deer in to be registered anymore. The area in Minnesota has had a history of bucks being a 4pt or better to be legal to harvest so my guess was that it has a larger segment of mature bucks than many parts of the state. I had 4 chances at a 4 pt or better buck in three days of hunting. Many years of this state regulation brought some of the best hunting in recent years. I know exactly where one of the deer was killed and it was a nice 10 pt. I can understand the dnr need for more samples but lets think about this 900 number and what is to become of the information. Have they consulted anyone from where this disease already exists?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Minnesota has a meager moose population and no longer offer a season. In recent years the moose seem to be afflicted with a brain worm. They [dnr] sure as heck haven’t killed off the moose because a few get afflicted.

As far as I know Colorado has cwd in its elk herd and its been there a long time. Cornicelli worked for Colorado’s Fish and Game service immediately prior to coming to Minnesota, maybe he brought it with him. His ideas on deer eradication will likely sit as well here as his ideas on game management [elk] went out west. Wisconsin has had cwd for a while and still has in spite of the deer kill-offs. The only places in Wisconsin that I have heard complaints about low deer numbers is where they have killed them off in the name of cwd. There is all kinds of information out there but our dnr does not want to work with any of it.

I think that any beginning to understanding this disease and any sort of long term control of it should start within the dnr’s staffing. Get rid of politically motivated personnel and those that dream $$$$ signs. Hire persons who are qualified and care enough to be serious to the bone about finding a realistic way to manage the disease without wreaking havoc with the deer herd since its been pretty well shown that it cannot be eliminated by doing so….at least not yet.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s a great read and pretty much sums up my feelings on this. That money aspect is super troubling to me. Thanks for posting this link.

Stop and consider this: If the disease is as horrific and decimating as what the dnr is claiming and reacting to, why do the shooters have to buy anything to take the deer? Why not just let the deer be taken and registered? Its the money. Leave the deer be.

blank

That’s a great read and pretty much sums up my feelings on this. That money aspect is super troubling to me. Thanks for posting this link.

Stop and consider this: If the disease is as horrific and decimating as what the dnr is claiming and reacting to, why do the shooters have to buy anything to take the deer? Why not just let the deer be taken and registered? Its the money. Leave the deer be.

Yes, I’m sure they’re going to be rich from all of those $2.50 tags.

From:http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/research/health/disease/cwd/cwd_se_special_hunt.pdf

“Disease management permits ($2.50) are available for either-sex deer. These are available to residents and non-residents and you do not need a previous license. The $2.50 covers the cost of issuing the permit.”

jime

When they say no deer leave the zone until testing is complete and
    follow that up with …it may take up to 4 days.

So you just hang your deer in tree and come back in four days?

Maybe I missed something but….

tweed

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think you did miss something. There is supposed to be trailers where you can hang your deer until testing is complete. Before I heard that we where going to just find a local processor to keep them at. Good way to spend some money in the area down there.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone have any land in this area you would be willing to let a couple of guys hunt?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Minnesota has a meager moose population and no longer offer a season. In recent years the moose seem to be afflicted with a brain worm. They [dnr] sure as heck haven’t killed off the moose because a few get afflicted.

As far as I know Colorado has cwd in its elk herd and its been there a long time. Cornicelli worked for Colorado’s Fish and Game service immediately prior to coming to Minnesota, maybe he brought it with him. His ideas on deer eradication will likely sit as well here as his ideas on game management [elk] went out west. Wisconsin has had cwd for a while and still has in spite of the deer kill-offs. The only places in Wisconsin that I have heard complaints about low deer numbers is where they have killed them off in the name of cwd. There is all kinds of information out there but our dnr does not want to work with any of it.

I think that any beginning to understanding this disease and any sort of long term control of it should start within the dnr’s staffing. Get rid of politically motivated personnel and those that dream $$$$ signs. Hire persons who are qualified and care enough to be serious to the bone about finding a realistic way to manage the disease without wreaking havoc with the deer herd since its been pretty well shown that it cannot be eliminated by doing so….at least not yet.

I assume one of the primary concerns with respect to CWD is related to Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). vCJD is a prion based condition that affects humans. If I remember correctly vCJD is fatal and there is no known cure. Basically CWD or Mad Cows Disease for people. The reason there was a big Mad Cow Disease scare (which is another prion based condition affecting bovine) in England was there was evidence of a link between Mad Cows Disease (BSE) and vCJD. Thankfully, they haven’t discovered a link between CWD and vCJD. Let’s just hope it isn’t a case where they just haven’t discovered one YET.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ll be down in Preston likely the 2nd, 8th &9th trying to find a deer.

Looking forward to sighting in the smoke pole next week.

Too bad the hunting which was starting to get better and going to go backwards again… Limited concern for me as fishing as sort of taken priority the last two seasons anyway, but I’m still disappointed for those who dream deer hunting all year long.

So be it.

Safe hunting everyone

CaptainMusky

Someone just text me a pic of a HUGE buck supposed to have been shot by Lanesboro with a bow. If its true, it will be really sad to see what comes of this eradication plan. This buck was enormous! IDK if it was even shot there because you know how rumors go, but I just cringe at the thought of wiping out the deer over fear.

basseyes

What a cluster puck!

mattgroff

You got that right. Unreal.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

after reading the DNR statement,It sounds like the DNR is being pro-active and really has it together on this one. seems very simple less deer= less contact between them. plus land owners can use rifles and be selective about the deer they harvest people can hunt public land and fill tags they have not filled
    yet seems like a win/win situation even for the deer considering the alternative!

riverruns
    Inactive

What’s the alternative? I missed it in this thread?

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.