RIVER FISHING ABOVE SIOUX CITY

• deerslayer13

The two of us went up the river Sunday . Mostly used live bait. But we ran out then started using plastics. Little slower but still nice fish..

nater3
    Webster City, IA

I lived in Sioux City for the first 18 years of my life and never fished the river there near town for walleyes. Looks like I missed out.

floydthegreat

Bob those are some dandy fish,being the river has been a little high and muddy lately.I live in Sioux City also,and don’t fish it effectively yet,but am trying different ways and set-ups mostly down river a little (air base,power plants).I havn’t hooked anything but kitties and smallies so far above or below the wingies.Last time up river I got stuck trying for a wing dam that wasn’t fun,except my friend nailed a respectable walleye in Jackson chute.Good Luck to you.Stan

deerslayer13

Yes the water was high and a little dis-colored. The water seemed to cleaner when we got above the Sioux river. Fishing seemed to be a little better to. We mostly floated down river using heavy bottom bouncers and casted heavy jigs in to the slower pools.The bottom bouncers. We just keeping our offerings above the rocky bottom. It was a little easier when we were in sandy bottoms but we got a couple of cats and sheep head there. The walleyes and small mouth were in the back current and slower cleaner water.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

great look’n catch, what is the limit for walleye and is there a slot? (SD license) Did you go up past Adams Nature Preserve? I think I’m finally around this weekend, so I’ll have to get the boat wet.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Bob, i sent you a message, look for the flashing envelope in the upper right hand corner and click on it.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks for the report and picture, Bob! Nicely done!

deerslayer13

We fished most of today and only got 7 walleye and saugar, 2 cat and 4 smallies. We were stopped by a young game warden from Nebraska . We were in NE/SD water. He said there was no slot limits on the river here. And needed a NE or SD fishing permit to fish were we were. But below the Big Sioux you had to have a NE or IA permit. And there was no slot there .

chomps
    Sioux City IA

put some fatheads into the boat on Sunday, ended up just being a day of relaxation for the family, a few cold ones on a sand bar and getting the pooch some exercise, the area I’m familure with had two boats fishing, the bass tourney was winding down. I’ll get out this week yet and see what I can stir up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.