Missouri River, Gavin’s Point Dam

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Anybody planning on going anytime soon and need a partner? I’d like to go but I don’t think I’ll have my boat ready soon. The walleye and sauger bite should be on.

orion94
    them thar hills, SW Nebraska

I wish I was Wade.Unfortunately I am heading the other direction.
    chris

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Will you charge to be my guide I have never fished it before but I have boat and will travel

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

You don’t need a guide, it is pretty easy to fish.

Unfortunatly, I don’t have a boat right now, the latest is that I might have my new one for my 2nd tournament.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

That stinks Jason Wade, are you serious about wanting to fish

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Zach, I am serious. If you have your boat ready I would love to hop in. We would need to check ahead to see if the ramp is good enough to launch your boat. What boat do you have again? I’m thinking Saturday, or maybe even taking Monday off to avoid the crowd (it’s supposed to be warm too!).

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Unfortunatly, I don’t have a boat right now, the latest is that I might have my new one for my 2nd tournament.

Jason, What are you gonna do for tourney #1?

Todd_NE

remember “house” rock in the middle of the basin!!!!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

It is a 172 SmokerCraft Millentia w/115 4 stroke. I am still looking for a kicker but I have finders and GPS on console and on bow and a 74PD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Todd, is that the one just up from the SD ramp?

There’s one right near the dam that is marked too.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

What time on saturday? Anybody else from central NE want to head up??

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Not sure yet,
    I know I can run the Crestliner I ran last year, Lawrence has made that clear to me. If I do that, I won’t qualify for contingency money and I can kiss the Ranger Cup points bye bye for the season.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Zach, the time makes no difference to me. You have further to travel so you tell me what works for you. Fish bite all day.

Jason, That’s a real bummer. I hope you can get it worked out.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Jason, maybe you can find someone fishing the am side that would be happy to let a pro use their boat. If I didn’t have a tourney that weekend I’d off you mine too.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I should have driven out there today to check, but I imagine the ramps are open. If not on the NE side, the SD side should be fine. I might try to get out there on Sunday…not sure if I’ll get my boat out or jump in with Dad.

Maybe I’ll see you out there.

JD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Anybody out there Saturday, give us a holler. We’ll be in Zach’s rig pictured above, three of us.

If anyone has update on the ramp conditions please advise.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Zach, Here are the directions to the dam bait shop on the Nebr. side:

Bait shop

There’s a google map in the right corner… Just take 81 to 121 and head west. See ya there.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Dad was out today. The ramps are open. About 12 boats out there. Somewhat slow going. A few boats didn’t catch a thing. There was 1 guy that apparently hooked a huge sturgeon. Played it out for an hour thinking it was a big cat. Turned out to be a (guesstimate) 50-60 pound sturgeon.

Good-luck. I may drive out that way after I’m done with work tomorrow afternoon.

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Sturgen or spoonbill?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

That’s exactly what I asked…he said sturgeon.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Zach and I made it out. I think Zach will post a report. It was great to be on the water with the sun on my face!

JD, you’re dad must have left really early. There were about 30 boats at the tailwaters Saturday. It wasn’t too crowded. The ramps were decent. My only complaint on the day was that the bait shop on the Nebraska side wasn’t even open at 8am. We had to run over to Captain Norms in Yankton.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Wade,
    How was the water level?
    Was the big rock (house rock) exposed, covered by a lot of water or just have about 6 inches running over it (6 inches, this is how I first learned of the big rock one day)?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Wade,

That was Friday I was referring to. I posted that Friday night…just after midnight (So technically it was Saturday the 10th.) He was out there Saturday and you’re right, there were about 30 for most of the day.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Wade,

That was Friday I was referring to. I posted that Friday night…just after midnight (So technically it was Saturday the 10th.) He was out there Saturday and you’re right, there were about 30 for most of the day.

I see. That makes sense. I probably saw your dad and didn’t even know it. We chatted with a lot of folks Saturday.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Wade,
    How was the water level?
    Was the big rock (house rock) exposed, covered by a lot of water or just have about 6 inches running over it (6 inches, this is how I first learned of the big rock one day)?

Don,

The rock was exposed quite a bit. The level is still quite low. There’s plenty of water to get from the ramp to the dam though.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Thanks Wade,

That is low.
    Thinking about going on Friday, if I can get the boat out.

Looks like a high in the mid 40’s, coldest day of the week.
    3 weeks ago we would have been breaking out the shorts
    and t-shirts for the mid 40’s.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Yea, It’s only 75 in Yankton right now. But, that’s okay. I’d rather be working.

prov1900
    NE Nebraska

We went today of all days. Thought that if we suffered the brutal weather, on the eve of a full moon, we would be rewarded….wrong. Absolutely awful. Marked a lot of walleye looking fish, but the dark milk chocolate water didn’t help. Plus, it was darn cold and miserable. Regardless, it was still better than sitting at home and the boat ran great

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.