Mill Lacs Ice Report – USE EXTREME CAUTION!

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

We spent yesterday very carefully moving around the north end of the lake checking ice a spots. We found several unsafe areas for even ATV traffic and today’s satellite picture shows it even better than I can explain. Please use extreme caution when traveling anywhere across country on Mille Lacs as there are many areas still with 4” or less.

Will

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Added satellite photo.

Attachments:
    1. A1C951AF-1162-4BAD-AAFD-3BE1CC8E94E5.jpeg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the update. I guess as they say…a picture is worth a thousand words.

Where are you pulling the satellite images from?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I actually stole it from another local resort on FB so I’m not positive on source or exact time taken.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m curious if this image shows up any clearer.

Those cracks that show on the satellite image are hundreds of yards wide. It only takes a couple yard crack to swallow someone up. Until there is 6”+ of snow on the ice, it’s going to keep moving, expanding and contracting. Especially on a sunny day. Be careful.

Attachments:
    1. FA4A383E-FCCF-4197-851E-EAE37697BFED.png

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jamin wrote:</div>

I actually stole it from another local resort on FB so I’m not positive on source or exact time taken.

Ha!

No worries, I think I actually found the answer from biggill’s posted image. waytogo

For anyone else curious:
    http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=a1&product=false_color&date=2017_12_12_346&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA3&resolution=250m

Pauleye
    Onamia

Randy’s Rentals posted pictures of an active crack around Indian Point. I saw some people out that way today, Please be careful.

Levi Rosendahl

Is there any new updates on the west side of Mille Lacs? Safe ice, best landing to go out of? Going out Saturday and want to be prepared. Thanks!

Justin riegel

Is there any new updates on the west side of Mille Lacs? Safe ice, best landing to go out of? Going out Saturday and want to be prepared. Thanks!

Reddoor posted an update saying there is still areas of 2-3 inches of ice and active cracks. There is good ice to the first break and they are allowing atvs out to that point.

Pauleye
    Onamia

The crack around Indian point is still active . Rocky Reef had a post you could check.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.