Midland Xtalker 2 Way

• AK Guy

I’m looking at buying a walkie talkie so I can talk to another vehicle when I’m out of cell service. Anybody have experience with the Midland Xtalker 26 mile walkie talkie? I’m not looking to spend much because this could be a one and done deal. What I do like about this model is it has rechargeable batteries.

Coletrain27

Check out baofeng radios on YouTube. I have some Uv-5r radios with gmrs Chanel’s programmed and some uv-9g radios which come programmed with gmrs channels

Attachments:
    1. CF3065F0-000D-44F0-BC19-7831973CF205-scaled.jpeg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve used Midland walkie talkies for years for boat to boat communications in Canada and for vehicle to vehicle on the drive up and back. They work great. I love the rechargeable batteries feature as it saves a lot of hassle to just be able to change the radios.

As you probably know the range is nowhere near 26 mi in real life. If you’re inside the vehicle talking to another vehicle a mile or two is about the maximum.

When you’re in an open boat we have gotten range of up to seven miles.

AK Guy

Check out baofeng radios on YouTube. I have some Uv-5r radios with gmrs Chanel’s programmed and some uv-9g radios which come programmed with gmrs channels

Whoa, I started to watch a YouTube video and quickly realized this radio is way above my head.

I’ve used Midland walkie talkies for years for boat to boat communications in Canada and for vehicle to vehicle on the drive up and back. They work great. I love the rechargeable batteries feature as it saves a lot of hassle to just be able to change the radios.

As you probably know the range is nowhere near 26 mi in real life. If you’re inside the vehicle talking to another vehicle a mile or two is about the maximum.

When you’re in an open boat we have gotten range of up to seven miles.

Thanks for the real world feedback on Midland. I think I can live with the communication ranges.

Coletrain27

Just because they are midland does not mean they are good. they make high dollar stuff and cheap stuff also. The ones you listed are just cheap frs radios Gmrs radios have more power and usually more distance. You are not going to get anywhere near 26 miles with those

AK Guy

I’m a pretty simple guy and there’s just too much going on with the Baofeng for me. I just want to ask the guy following me if he needs a bathroom break or gas.

Coletrain27

If you guys are close they will probably work fine for that. Any sort of distance I would reccomend something different

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just looked and I have the Midland GXT1000 radios.

This model has the FRS and GMRS frequencies.

GMRS frequencies allow for more transmission power and longer ranges. I have always used these channels.

I have four of these radios and it is very handy to have a radio setup to take in places where cell phones are unreliable or just don’t work. It’s also just much more convenient for vehicle communications to be able to say something once and know the other guy heard it with no fooling around with dialing phones or texting.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

BAOFENG UV-5X (UV-5G) is what we use on the river when we have more then one boat. They work great. We never used them truck to truck but I am going to now. That’s a great idea.
    I think we paid 100 for the pair

Coletrain27

BAOFENG UV-5X (UV-5G) is what we use on the river when we have more then one boat. They work great. We never used them truck to truck but I am going to now. That’s a great idea.
    I think we paid 100 for the pair

you can get 4 of them for $100 now

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.