how much longer will the bite last

• brianjkuphal

lake michigan has been hot all summer,im planning to get over there towards the end of aughust,will those kings still be hammering or will they be in the spawning phase by then?is there any truth to the rumor that when they start to move in they stop feeding as heavily?any info would be appreciated.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Disclaimer, what’s to follow is coming from a Lake Michgan rookie but I think it is accurate…

You shouldn’t have any issues catching fish in August, particularly earlier in the month. If memory serves this video I’m linking was shot in Milwaukee Harbor in Sept. At that time we had fish in the harbor that were fairly dark while charters were running outside of the harbors and catching bright, clean 4 year old fish that hadn’t started to think seriously about spawning yet.

See more IDO Fishing Videos!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I plan of fishing Lake Michigan several times this month. (August)
    The biggest threat to good fishing on the Wisconsin shore lines is east winds. If we continue to get west winds, the fishing should remain very good.
    East winds bring in warm water. West winds cause cold water to well up on the Wisconsin shore line.
    Cold water =’s good fishing!

Go get em! The fishing this summer has been nothing short of exceptional.

Fish in picture was caught on 8-21-11 out of Two Rivers.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Was out twice last week, and we did pretty well both times….3 pm to 8 pm trip went 12 of 18, and 4:30 am to 9:30 am trip, 8 for 14. Both trips brought in a few 4 year olds, 13 to 18 pounds, and didn’t have to go out very far…best bite both times was in 70 to 100 fow, but that can definitely change quickly. Touch bases on here just before your trip, and I’ll give you some fresh news if I have any. Bottom line….go for it, and bring some aspirin for sore arms.

brianjkuphal

thanks z-man,i will check back in here when i am ready to go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.