Menomin action

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Took the Otter out for her maiden voyage this morning. Don’t have a lot time to post with the holidays & all, but here are the meat & potatoes of this mornings action. We moved around & hit 4 different spots. Found one spot that had some perch on it. Kept 6 eaters, no real jumbos though. Also caught a couple short ‘eyes. 8’ of water, minnows & bobber & Northland forage minnows & minnow heads. Tried for a little while behind the cemetary. 2 crappies. Same depth, same presentation.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Thanks for the report coot. I ‘m hoping to get out on Friday. Any clues as to what part of the lake you were fishing for the perch and how thick is the ice. I stopped by the landing off of 21st street on the way home today and saw a couple of shacks out from the bay just enough to be in the main lake I would say. Have a Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Ice thickness ranged from approx. 10 inches behind the cemetary to approx. 6 inches for one of spots we fished on the main lake. That area was a hump off the main channel between Boy Scout & the cemetary, with actually a fair amount of current. We used the four wheeler and drove on from the landing at Butch’s Bay. The perch were in the Northeast section of the lake in 8′ of water. We fished a couple different spots in that area, but only had the one spot with fish. I know there are more spots out there holding perch, it’s just a matter of moving till you find them. Good luck friday, I might go out to day for a while.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Hit it again for a while this afternoon. We caught 3 perch in the first 15 minutes, then nothing! We moved around a lot in the same area trying to locate some active fish – NA-DA. Went in by the cemetary again for a little bit before heading for home and we picked up one crappie. Hope some of the folks that spent part of their Christmas Day on the ice had better luck than I did.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Oh, by the way, my daughter outfished me today!

leinieman

Hi Coot and thanks for the tips. I went out today from about 1:00 – 4:00 or 4:30 and basically just took my Otter for a walk. I tried from the boat landing at Butches to just in the main lake offr the point from the cemetary. I drilled about 2 dozen holes. Man that 6 inch Laser cuts great for a hand auger. The ice is about a foot and there were a ton of vehicles driving on but not me.I figure if the ice is a foot here and there its probably only 6-8 inchs somewhere and I know I would find that spot. Oh well maybe next time. I think I will try a little open water tomorrow with Don H. I hope it dosen’t rain too hard tomorrow. Is that the Otter Lodge in your photo? Steve

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Hey Gang:

Talked with a young friend of mine going to school there and he told me that he had heard of a 39″ pike caught just outside the cemetary bay. Any truth to the rumors? Managed to pick up a nice walleye up here in the northwoods and am hitting it again tomorrow. Oh by the way Steve, I finally found your posts from your trip up here. Great pics of the dam and the hodag.

Mark

Don Hanson

I did not hear anything, but the pike fishing should be great this winter. Caught plenty of em this fall. That is a dandy eye, keep us updated on what is happening in your area.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Yes, Lienie, that is the Mag Lodge. Ya like the color?

leinieman

Yep, If I had a shack that color my wife would claim it. Ha HA.
    How did you like the finish on that Viking Game yesterday? Talk about a present for the Packers. I couldn’t believe that last play. Oh well go Tennessee. Steve

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

No comment.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.