Manufactured Skid house .

• catmando
    wis

Thinking about getting one,. Would you buy again ? Pro’s – con’s ,ideas . Thanks DK.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

for me, the best part about my fish house was building and designing it myself! I’d do it every year if I could.

catmando
    wis

Glad for you Bob . But I am not handy, going to buy.

roger

Don.t know how you could do better then one of these.

Aluma Lite Skid – Info & Prices

David j kiefer

http://www.icecaveoutdoors.com/ thats where I got mine very good price and great quality , I bought a smaller one so I can handle it by my self easily weighs 200 pounds

Attachments:
    1. house-6.jpg

2. house-5.jpg

3. house-4.jpg

4. house3.jpg

5. house-2.jpg

6. house-1.jpg

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Nice ice house. I am also looking at that style. I think the ice cube one is a little short but don’t remember the height.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

If you guys are looking at a hard sided house like these I’d recommend some type of vented heater. Obviously it has air vents for oxygen but the moisture given off by the buddy heater will be unreal! I had no idea when I let a friend barrow my house. It was a 6′ X 14′ and they ran a buddy heater for a total of about 12-15hrs.

The floor was soaked and the there was water/ice on the ceiling and walls. I took a towel and wiped the entire thing down ringing water out as I went. I ended up with over two gallons of condensation from that one incident. I also had to run my vented heater and a fan for about a week to dry it out.

roger

No condensation on the walls of spray foam walls but you do need good ventilation. a little 12 fan and a buddy heater works good.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

If you guys are looking at a hard sided house like these I’d recommend some type of vented heater. Obviously it has air vents for oxygen but the moisture given off by the buddy heater will be unreal! I had no idea when I let a friend barrow my house. It was a 6′ X 14′ and they ran a buddy heater for a total of about 12-15hrs.

The floor was soaked and the there was water/ice on the ceiling and walls. I took a towel and wiped the entire thing down ringing water out as I went. I ended up with over two gallons of condensation from that one incident. I also had to run my vented heater and a fan for about a week to dry it out.

Thanks for pointing this out Joe. Are you referring to only the shacks with spray foam or any shack for that matter?
    I am considering getting a shack with paneling or pine T&G and getting one of the smaller versions and just running a buddy heater inside. Wondering if this would be an issue in this type of set up as well?
    OP, I apologize in advance, not trying to steal your thread, I’m also considering what you are looking at as well. Just didn’t even thinks about the moisture/condensation thing.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Catmando –
    I have been looking at Skiddies for a year or 2. The Alumilite is a good one. I spoke with the owner up in Cromwell and he has a video of one floating on open water, he also said his kid tried driving one around on open water with an outboard in a hole but could not steer it, but it still floated. Very impressive.
    I was going to buy a skiddie because I like the idea of a hard sided fish house I could pull around the lake.

BUT – I have a cabin where no roads are plowed and I worry that my griz won’t pull it or it burns up the griz.

I now plan on picking up the new Otter x-over resort and customizing it to my needs.

It was a long tough decision, believe me.

You really need to figure out your needs and see what works best for the way you fish.

IMHO, of course. Good luck with your outcome.

catmando
    wis

Thanks all I am a minimalist, something on the smaller side ,but can still sleep in , thks.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Here’s your PSA for the year…DO NOT USE A BUDDY HEATER OR OTHER VENTLESS HEATERS IF YOU PLAN TO SLEEP IN YOUR FISH HOUSE. Many will comment the do or just crack a window… it’s a good way to kill yourself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As far as the condensation issue goes, you have to leave windows open a bit or have a couple of vents installed. There is a lot of water vapor in the by product of burning gas, especially with a unvented heater. I’ve been thinking about building a small hard side as I was lucky enough to move to a lake house, and one of my foremost thoughts is ventilation. It will not be a sleeper, just a “fancy” portable that I can run out to and not leave anything behind. I may just try 4″ vents, high & low and see how things progress. My heating plan is a buddy or even a small wood stove, obviously with wood it will be vented and have a small combustion air vent. All still in the mind yet, until I figure it out, my one man clam is ready.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Here’s your PSA for the year…DO NOT USE A BUDDY HEATER OR OTHER VENTLESS HEATERS IF YOU PLAN TO SLEEP IN YOUR FISH HOUSE. Many will comment the do or just crack a window… it’s a good way to kill yourself.

For those that don’t believe the dangers, get yourself a battery-powered CO2 detector, and watch the numbers climb once you start using a gas or kerosene heater indoors. I used a kerosene heater to help warm a cold basement for years, until I installed a digital readout detector.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-with-Digital-Display-2-pack-21027465/206499379

HRG

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

No condensation on the walls of spray foam walls but you do need good ventilation.

Actually the moisture will collect on anything that is cool. So as long as the heat is on moisture won’t collect on the spray foam, only exposed aluminum… windows and doors. But after you leave for the night there will be dew drops on everything if you don’t have a way for the moisture to get out… like an open window or door.

Thanks for pointing this out Joe. Are you referring to only the shacks with spray foam or any shack for that matter?

All air tight shacks (any newer permanent house) will develop a lot of moisture using a buddy heater. Vented heaters are so cheap I’ll never use a buddy heater in a perm. The worst part of the moisture is after you leave for the night it condensates on the ceiling and walls and then freezes. Then next time you come out and fire up the heater you get water dripping on you until it all melts. Then you get to repeat this process for the rest of the season. The only way around this is to have a window open as stated above. This is a double edged sword as well though… if the window is open you defeat the purpose of a well insulated house as well as needing to burn an excessive amount of propane.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.