LX-7 soft case…

• Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Anyone have any modifications they use for their LX7?

The softcase on the 7 is brutal! First time using my unit on the ice, I went to start hole hopping and the sonar fell right out of the pack onto exposed ice(no snow to cushion the fall). Thankfully nothing happened, to my knowledge, but scary none the less.

I have been considering mounting it to a Genz box or something of the like.

Thoughts?

big_g
    Isle, MN

if it just fell out, it wasn’t in there right. removing the cover to change the battery can be a real bugger at times…. ? ???

Henpecked

Not sure if the LX 7 and LX 6 mounts are the same, but I mounted my 6 to a Vex Propack and it works great. Still working on the case for it however, but it now fits in a five gallon bucket. Much better.

brant_gilmore
    New Providence,Ia

I took longer bolts and ran through bottom of soft case through where the transducer arm goes and the same hole on the other side. I can still pull case over back of unit to access battery and my unit doesn’t fall out of case now.

nblasius
    SE South Dakota

Take the unit out of the bag, go to the hardware store and purchase some Velcro tape and run it around the circumference of the soft pack on the inside. Do the same on the shuttle and insert in soft pack problem solved. Mine fell out a couple years back and scarred the heck out of me also. Good luck.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My wife took the strap handle from inside the soft case, it goes all the way around it, cut it in half, then found the balancing point and resewed it on the outside, now it is much longer and I can grab it easily with gloves on.

Ed

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

My wife took the strap handle from inside the soft case, it goes all the way around it, cut it in half, then found the balancing point and resewed it on the outside, now it is much longer and I can grab it easily with gloves on.

Ed

That’s it, it is not balanced well at all. For the rest of the trips I have gone out, I would just leave the case by the sled and hole hop with just the unit.

Wish I had some skill in sewing…

Eskimo2566

That’s a great idea! Do you have any pictures of this??

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

On a Genz pack, inside a Clam flasher bag.

I put my backup/gps lowrance on the marcum frame and bag, and I still hate it. need to get another Genz box or pro pack to mount that on.

munchy
    NULL

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels this way about the LX-7 case.

Eskimo2566

Joe – is this the same Genz Pack you are using??

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

yes. The mount that holds the LX7 head just has 4 bolts holding to the base. I was able to use that to attached the unit to the genz box.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Agreed, the LX-7 case is garbage. Lost mine when I was carrying by the handle this weekend as well.

What’s that blue soft sided case in the pics above? I can’t find that online.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Here’s some pictures of my case.

Ed

Attachments:
    1. 20160118_163429.jpg

2. 20160118_163417.jpg

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

Agreed, the LX-7 case is garbage. Lost mine when I was carrying by the handle this weekend as well.

What’s that blue soft sided case in the pics above? I can’t find that online.

They have changed the bags a bit. The older ones had rod holder. I just had my wife stitch up a few nylon straps and some velcro into rod holders.

http://www.landmsupply.com/search-results/clam-deluxe-flasher-bag?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CjwKEAiAt_K0BRCzjtv92_HGoR0SJAA9QNn_7QVKvvsYwztS11YIA4oJk07MOBkvQ0A_qOejEHMuTRoCo6_w_wcB

Anyone have any modifications they use for their LX7?

Thoughts?

I had my Lx7 setup first on a genz box, later on a modified Vex ProPack. Both were far better than the case that it came with. I could get the lx7 on the ProPack into a 5 gal bucket if necessary.

I decided to switch to the smaller lx6s and have been very pleased with that decision. The new case is similar to the lx5, fits in a bucket and has carrying strap that is similar to Ed’s modified lx7 case.

Eskimo2566

Awesome ideas. For the sake of money, I am gonna try Eds idea and move the strap. I like the genz pack too. I saw online there is another case option by ice armor that might work too. Think it had the rod holders built in.

Eskimo2566

So I took Eds advice and modified my Marcum case. I moved the stock straps to the actual center of gravity. I also added some velcro straps to the inside to hold the flasher into the case. Not that I needed to, but I had velcro laying around and the sewing machine was already set up. It is awesome! No worries about it falling out at all.

Attachments:
    1. 20160119_045008.jpg

2. 20160119_044918.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a LX-9 so I think the camera bag properly balances the whole setup, but I just purchased some velcro strap material to help secure the plastic cradle to the case itself, i’m also going to add some velcro to the rear storage pouch to keep things from falling out…

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

So Eskimo you sewed both ends of the Velcro to the inside edge of the case ?

Eskimo2566

Yes. I first took the straps off the bag. To do that I used one of those thread cutter things my wife had in her sewing kit. I had to cut the strap off at the bottom on both sides because it was sewn in under the case. Then I figured out the CG, which was a little farther forward. Then sewed them into the inside of the case. I didn’t put them as far down, which makes the strap a little longer. I wanted them inside, so when I get to the lake I can just flip the cover back and don’t have to tuck it through the strap. When I put the cover back on, the strap stays on the inside. When putting it away I carry it by the back handle where you stick your hand inside the back. Make sense?

Ryan N

Joe – would the 7 base fit in that Clam bag or do you have to put it on a Vexilar base?

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

It didn’t fit very well. The clam bag has a kind of plastic tray for the bottom, and the outside diameter of the Marcum case will not fit down in the tray.

It’s big enough towards the front that the zipper on the case wouldn’t close.

The Genz box fits into the tray perfectly.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Anyone ever tried mounting theirs in the humminbird case?

The lx7 will not fit in the hbird portable case.

sheldy4
    Kenyon, MN

I took my LX-7 out of Marcum case and it fit right into the Clam Bag

Attachments:
    1. My-phone-292.jpg

2. My-phone-293.jpg

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I took my LX-7 out of Marcum case and it fit right into the Clam Bag

How did you secure it down?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.