Lund gas gauge problem

• bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Gas gauge on my son in law’s new Lund (1810 Predator) not working. I won’t get a chance to look at it until this weekend but does anyone have ideas as far as trouble shooting? Would be nice if we could do an easy fix without having to take it to a dealer.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

fuse? also check where the gauge is and make sure all wires connected good still then follow wire to the fuse box for nicks then check under dash to make sure still connected. then I pulled the “gauge” it self to see if it was nasty/ not “floating like it should be. I have a older boat of course. other then that I got nothing for you.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Might be a quick call up to Lund to see if they have any trouble shooting ideas.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Not on a Lund, but last year my gas gauge was very intermittent as far as working.

The splice near the sending unit was corroded almost completely through. Soldered it back together, liquid electric tape, and it works good as new.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

New lund take back to where he bought it and let them fix it.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Taking it back to the original dealer would be nice but it is a 6 hour drive one way. I am sure any Lund dealer would/could fix for nothing. Just trying to keep it on the water and not in the shop.
    I will check out the wiring and fuse (already thought of that). Hopefully someone just forgot to plug the wires into the gauge. Thanks

bigcrappie
    Blaine

There should be 4 wires on the back +12 volt, ground,dash light and sensor wire, sometimes they are labeled

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

You would need to check the gas gauge and the gas sender on the tank. The first place to check would be the gas gauge itself and look for loose wiring. If this looks good you will need to check the sender, which means pulling the floor up. You will need to check the wires with a tester and check the sender itself. If you call your dealer they should be more then happy to explain to you on how to fix it. Unless your dealer switched out your gauges this could be covered at any Lund dealer for warranty. It does not hurt to check.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Pulling the floor up is what’s been stopping me from troubleshooting any farther.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Pulling up the floor is not always fun to do. Take your time and it is not too bad.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Well, I had a chance to look at the gauge this weekend. As discussed, there are 4 wires connected to the back of the fuel gauge. They were all connected and in good shape. The fuses were all fine. Son in law had talked to the dealer and they said to check the pink wire in particular (I assume that to be associated with the sender). I followed everything back, pink wire included, as far as I could and found nothing that appeared out of the ordinary. The light to the fuel gauge is working fine as well.

So, looks like I may be pulling the floor up to look for further clues. Fortunately the center of the floor looks like it can be removed fairly easily as it is a seperate panel from the rest of the floor. No carpet is involved either. I need to become familiar with the sender to know what I am looking at and looking for. Will call Lund regarding that.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Sometimes the senders go bad right from the get go, not to often though. You should beable to check the sender with a multimeter. As the float moves up and down you should see a change on the multimeter. You could problably check this prior to taking the floor up. Just shake the boat back and forth on the trailer and you should see a difference on the multimeter as long as the float is moving checking it at the gas gage.

LUV2FSH

Might be the same problem as I had once. The ground wire (separate wire) wasn’t connected to the starting battery. Look around the battery compartment for a stray black wire. I found this out after I pulled the dash and the tank out of the floor on my boat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.