Lund Boats

These have always been dependable boats. A friend of mine bought an 18foot I think Bass boat 3 years ago, with in year the boat formed pin holes on the upper sides down to the rub guard, and on the Transom were stainless screws are located and on opened areas of the Transom and side. The dealership had it repainted, the painters put the boat in the water and took a potential difference reading, Boat to Water, they said there was something seriously wrong and would contact the dealership and Lund Boats. They were told to return the boat to the customer, the dealer ship Bill Howich of Campbell River was later shown the boat when the problem reappeared all the sales people looked at it and were puzzled by it but left the customer standing there and would not talk to him any more. He talked to Lund boats Warranty Representative and was so frustrated he asked if he should get a lawyer. After this they would no longer talk to him as they took this to mean he was going to get a lawyer. He was told to talk to Brunswick Legal Department for any more communication, they own Lund Boats. Anyone else having similar problems or am I barking up the wrong tree.
    bcwhitebear

big_g
    Isle, MN

what is a potential difference reading ?

A meter reading like the boat is a battery, carries a charge. Say +.5 volts on boat to water, could be also -.5, this creates a current that causes the boat or parts of the boat to oxidize. In this case the painters who repainted the boat at the dealers request took the reading and were quite surprised at what they were seeing. The boat was in the water.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I guess the most basic question should be asked first… did anyone take a look at the sacrificial anode located on the underside of the cavitation plate? Galvanic corrosion is most pronounced in saltwater environments but I’ve seen other boats, most notably a Lund with an IO, that was kept on the Mississippi River that had severe damage due to galvanic corrosion.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/sacrificial-zincs.asp

big_g
    Isle, MN

hmmmm… knew they had that by the prop but didn’t realize the hull could have a charge too. crazy

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

hmmmm… knew they had that by the prop but didn’t realize the hull could have a charge too.  :crazy:

Anything metal. It all should be bonded together really well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sacrificial anode?!?!?! lol That just struck me as funny. True but funny.
    Carry on.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I guess the most basic question should be asked first… did anyone take a look at the sacrificial anode located on the underside of the cavitation plate?

Truly the most basic of questions.

)

chomps
    Sioux City IA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>
    I guess the most basic question should be asked first… did anyone take a look at the sacrificial anode located on the underside of the cavitation plate?

Truly the most basic of questions.

)

Is this located by the headlight fluid overflow?

Iowaboy1

the sacrificial anode is for galvanic corrosion only,sounds to me like it is suffering from stray current voltage,this phenomenon is caused by an A/C current leak from either a shore station power that is contacting the water,or a power cord that is laying in the water and is open on hot the hot leg.
    the goofy part of this it is not the A/C current causing the pitting,it is the D/C battery seeking ground through the hull to the A/C power.
    this is very common around docks with large capacities for boats.
    heard of this exact problem on lake michigan,it ate the rivets out of a two year old lund,it was taking on water severely,when they loaded it on the trailer,the hull collapsed.
    google stray current voltage,you will learn more than you want to about it.

If you are referring to the cavitation plate on the motor an OB it is good and has one on each side of the leg. The motor shows no signs of corrosion. The boat is 3 years old, is taken out of the water and scrubbed down after each use and stored outdoors over cement. When I visit this fellow I am more alarmed at the amount that is occurring. I seen a similar case many years ago, but on a much larger scale, a 60 foot steel boat which a ship yard was painting for a third time in 6 years and was still searching for the cause. I am also a little surprised at how little Lund is willing to do, my friend is a hot head and argued with Lunds Warranty Rep for a considerable period of time, and we are in Canada and they are in the US. I don’t know what was said, I’m sure he is half the problem but at what point do you accept the fact that a three year old boat is oxidising to the point of enlarging holes and increasing pin holes

jon amundson

Any pics? these forums get more views than most think and a few pics with accurate description might help his case. Could always inform Lund customer service of this website/forward link. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. The piece they are refering too should look like this at least Yamaha do.

Attachments:
    1. Japan-imported-YAMAHA-Yamaha-outboard-lifting-corrosion-zinc-anode-blocks-115-300-hp.jpg

Iowaboy1

just for something to do,I googled lund hull problems,there are many unsatisfied customers because of the paint problem,many had paint coming off after one trip to the water.
    several threads on WC about them also,sounds like the parent company of lund strikes again with the way they like to cheapen things up.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

just for something to do,I googled lund hull problems,there are many unsatisfied customers because of the paint problem,many had paint coming off after one trip to the water.
    several threads on WC about them also,sounds like the parent company of lund strikes again with the way they like to cheapen things up.

So its just Lunds that have hull problems???
    Just saying coffee

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

So its just Lunds that have hull problems???
    Just saying coffee

I figured someone would take it this way,and in no way is that what I meant,they all have problems,doesnt matter who it is,but was referring to this as it was the subject at the time.
    and,I was only trying to point the OP in a direction where he may or may not find help. nuff said.

I am going to visit this fellow today and will take some pictures. This boat was a major expenditure to this fellow. I would like more input from people who have bought Lund Boats and are having similar problems. Boat age and seriousness of problem and yes pictures

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

track

big_g
    Isle, MN

buck or doe ? devil

To tired to transfer pics and convert. Will do this tomorrow. The Lund boat is fished in salt water but removed from ocean after each use. Imagine paying $25000, still making payments and told by Lund they will not do anything. Being told to sell the boat. They want my friend to rip somebody else off. Totally unbelievable.
    Stu
    Knowing when to run is far more effective, I Suppose your going to tell me milk comes from cows, I give were does safety come from, that’s news to me, My ancestors walked in this area Aprrox 10000 years ago, In a crunch he faces nothing for he is deaf and blind

Here are some pictures of this boat. sorry hit submit.

Attachments:
    1. DSC_1384_00042_00042.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Quit messing around here and get a lawyer.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

They probably watch it here as well, but making a similar post on walleye central wouldn’t be a bad idea. In the past, others have had problems quickly resolved once pics hit the forum. Apparently, many companies have folks that watch the forums/social media for bad PR.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.