power/data cable on hds unit.

• jwelch
    Iowa

Just wondering what the data cable is for on the hds unit? Says it for NMEA 0183 and RS-422 – so whats that? I am assuming since I have never heard of them I don’t need them. But it would be nice to know what there for.

Jeremy

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I have mine connected to a marine transceiver. It will
    show my position to those
    I wish to see it.
    Others have used these leads
    to allow units to share waypoints.

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

The Data cable wires are used for the NMEA 0183 and RS-422 hook up; also, RS-232 and RS-422 for HDS-8 and HDS-10 models. (RS-422) uses the yellow and blue wires to transmit, the orange and green wires to receive and the shield (bare) wire for signal ground.

This information came from the HDS unit installation instructions booklet you should have received in the box with your unit. Start on page 22. You can also go to http://www.lowrance.com and click on support and go to HDS FAQ’s and type in RS-422 and see the information.

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

I have an HDS 10 at my console with a Structure Scan and a Sirius Satallite weather antenna connected to the HDS 10 and an HDS 8 at the bow. I have an LGC 4000 connected to the NMEA backbone which both units use. Remember to use a power node to power the NMEA backbone and therefore the external GPS antenna. I don’t use the data cable for anything. Just cut the wires off at the sheild so they don’t touch anything. This way if you were to install a marine radio or another device where this data cable is needed, then it’s still there to be used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.