StructureScan HD range question

• John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hey StructureScan guys, I installed an HDS-10 & StructureScan/LSS-2 and finally got on the water the first time – Pool 4. Seems like if I’m in 12 ft of water, StructureScan only shows out 35 to 40 ft or so to the side. I ran along the rock rip-rap at Red Wing and it only seemed to show the bottom portion of the rip-rap. I was hoping to see stuff higher in the water column and further out, like when fish are suspended high in the water column off to the side.
    Is that what you would normally see? Maybe I was expecting too much.

I did recognize rock, logs, and bottom contours so it’s working from that standpoint. Though even on a 10″ screen objects look small. Time for a visit to the eye doc.

I need to figure out the right contrast settings. With auto on, it would get either too dark or too bright and I had to keep fiddling with it.

John S.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

John, were you on P4 with your wife this weekend perhaps?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

When your page is set on Structure scan hit the Zoom out button to increase your range to scan, Zoom In to make range smaller. Also I like color palette #9 the bluish background to see the best. They have 9 different palettes to choose from. Also auto sensitivity is your friend. Identify objects from the auto setting and adjust either up or down to make images more crisp!.

That is what I have learned Side imagine via Lowrance so far.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

SS is best 10′ and deeper , in shallow water you can see higher with 400mh than 800 , also realize that it doesn’t look up so if its down 2+ feet on boat it doesn’t see the top part of the water columb.
    Stan

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Yes Brian, that was me and the wife. We stayed away from the crowds, heading downstream and got skunked. Poor wife got a migraine and quit early. I did mark fish but couldn’t get them to bite.
    I walked up the hill for the first time thinking I needed some exercise – I felt it Monday morning.

Calvin, I know about adjusting the range. But that doesn’t make it actually show out farther. In other words, if I’m in 12 feet of water, it only shows useful stuff out to about 35 ft. even if the range is 80 ft. The wider range just makes all the objects smaller.
    Bassn, ya I know it doesn’t look up. But it doesn’t look straight out to the sides either. I’m looking forward to using it on Lake Wissota because I know that lake extremely well and it will be better for learning.

John S.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.