lost my echomap 93sv recently

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

the head unit popped off the snap in cradle after hitting a wave last week. it went over the side. i believe i bought it in 2017. i have the GT 52 transducer still in place. what are my options? can i but just the head unit that can snap into the cradle or do i need to buy everything new? I am sure the technology in transducers have advanced greatly. if i do need to go all new is there a dealer in the Twin Cities area that can install it? i’d like to stay with Garmin as I loved that last unit. TIA

Adam Steffes

Who has a link for those huge rubber bands that people put on their garmin autoejecting head units?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

i wish i would have known about those bands. i hope they have updated that design. I never had problems until i hit that rogue wave on Mille Lacs last week.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I think you can buy just head units out there, I would check there website. Or call Reeds maybe. I use a Ram mount on mine, not quite sure how that would happen. Are you using some sort of quick release mount?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

mine was on a ram mount. it fell off the plastic cradle that the power and transducer lines run into. i have everything but the snap in screen. i hit the wave. it popped off and went over the side at about 20 mph. it floated for a moment and then she was gone!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

mine was on a ram mount. it fell off the plastic cradle that the power and transducer lines run into. i have everything but the snap in screen. i hot the wave. it popped off and went over the side at about 20 mph. it floated for a moment and then she was gone!

Gotcha. That sucks man sorry to hear, just trying to understand how it happened so it doesn’t happen to me too. Maybe they have some referb options?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

it really sucks. lost every waypoint i had for the last 5 years. talked to a couple of folks at Nittis that had the same thing happen except it fell inside the boat instead of outside. my insurance will cover it so i may just go to a brand new one. im sure the technology is a lot better now.

Ripjiggen

Yes good idea in theory then a horrible idea in the real world. Heard of this happening several times. Pretty sure they are still using the snap in design. Should be good with the GT52 ducer I think it was just this spring they came out with a GT56.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

that’s good news. at least i won’t get dinged for that.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Dang sorry to hear that. If insurance is covering it for sure get the new one with the gt-56 transducer! lucky mine has never snapped out of the quick release.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

it really sucks. lost every waypoint i had for the last 5 years.

That is by far the worst part. Years of waypoints marked are priceless IMO

Adam Steffes

I have been meaning to get the bands…if someone has a link I will order some today so I don’t forget! I hear about this a couple times a year and I keep meaning to do it but forget or put it off. Sorry you lost all your data!

Deuces

Never had this issue either with mine thank goodness.

Sorry for your waypoint loss.

RIP to the 93. <—next music video parody from uncut

JasonP
    Twin Cities

First thought – “why not just mark a waypoint and go back and get it later?”

Pause for 10 seconds.

Second thought – “I’m such an idiot doah

jp

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Did you have the active captain app? I think that saves all your waypoints.

I’m checking mine now!

robby
    Quad Cities

Ill bet there is a hair tie in the Beauty section of any big box store that would work for this. Also head bands/sweat bands.

catmando
    wis

First thought – “why not just mark a waypoint and go back and get it later?”

Pause for 10 seconds.

Second thought – “I’m such an idiot doah

I dropped a rod overboard marked it , came back with my camera found 9 beer cans 1 plastic lawn chair, then my Fenwick, only 20 ft of water thou.

Adam Steffes

What would he mark it on? The graph that just autoejected?! Hahah rotflol

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I just checked….if you have been doing software updates through the Active Captain Garmin app it stores your waypoints. I think you have to buy the actual contour maps but on my chart plotter it shows the waypoints but not the countours.

Worth a shot….otherwise, might want to set it up for next time?

catmando
    wis

What would he mark it on? The graph that just autoejected?! Hahah rotflol

I guess I go overboard 3 gps units on my rig.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Bummer. I’ve never had mine come off but it’s on the back of the boat and doesn’t take to much of a pounding.

You could always upgrade to the GPS MAP series and then they won’t have the craddle.

Gary

I’d just buy a new one with the 56 transducer if insurance will cover it.

Head units are @800. New head unit with 56 is @$1000 plus tax. 56 is way better for SI/DI then the 54 was. Never had a 52 so….

Reeds should have in stock.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Indeed
    Insurance check on the way. I’ll go up to the 10” model

uninc4709

Honestly I would just wait for the fall sale and not pull on insurance. You can get a new 93SV with the GT54 for right around $600-$700.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>steveo wrote:</div>
    it really sucks. lost every waypoint i had for the last 5 years.

That is by far the worst part. Years of waypoints marked are priceless IMO

That would be horrible. Lost a handheld waaay back in the day so I learned this hack…use google maps! I place waypoints all over on my phone now. Just start a google account and those waypoints will be saved for ever (and you can use on any device…even your buddies phone)

JoeMX1825
    MN

This guy makes some 3D printed clips that attach using the mount bracket screws and keeps the screen secured, looked very slick and better than a rubber band…

https://spe3dyprint.company.site/

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.