Looking for Skinzit Opinions

• trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

I’m looking for an honest review of the Skinzit. I know most people say “just use a sharp knife”. But, full disclosure, I’m terrible using a filet knife. When I’m finished using the knife it looks like a crime scene. So, I’m looking for some ‘honest’ reviews and opinions of the device.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

there is a hand operated unit crank but I don’t remember the name bought it on e bay. try to ask ski at everts to see if his friend remembers the name, maybe someone else is familiar it worked great 20 bucks online used

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Mike,
    Just practice a little bit!
    I used to be good with a knife, and a butcher with the electric!

Then I got accustomed to the electric and still preferred the filet knife for the rib cage,,,,

Now it is all electric and pass down the whole fish and move out of the way as, “we” are done!! Time for Cocktails Boys! toast

smackemup
    North Metro

For what it’s worth, I have some second hand information saying the skinzit works pretty well. A buddy of mine saw one in action and was impressed. Seems weird to me though

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Agreed with Denny O.

I’ve heard they work pretty well but that assumes you always have power where you clean your fish and you want to carry that bulky thing around.

After getting a cordless electric filet knife I’m sold. I’d go that route before the skinzit. Fast and doesn’t seem to be very mistake prone.

I was pretty good with a regular knife but it takes a ton of time and they dull quickly (at least the ones I used). It also seemed like I needed a couple of fish to get back into the swing of it after not filleting them for awhile.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

I have used a Skinzit only a couple of times so… I had a few problems like the skin wrapping around a second time. These issues would likely go away with practice.
    For me it was not worth the cleanup time if you only have a couple fish to clean.
    I felt there was more waste with the Skinzit verses a knife.
    Overall I prefer a sharp knife but if you had a bucket of panfish to clean it may be an excellent tool.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

there is a hand operated unit crank but I don’t remember the name bought it on e bay. try to ask ski at everts to see if his friend remembers the name, maybe someone else is familiar it worked great 20 bucks online used

Probably the Townsend Fish Skinner. I have my grandpas old one, works pretty slick.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I had a few problems like the skin wrapping around a second time.

If you watch the demo vids, they always stop the skinner and tear off the last inch of skin. They never run the entire filet through.

Agree with the comment on cleaning just a few fish. I’d go with an electric knife every time. If you fish with Ted Takasaki and have 100 perch to clean, go for it!

-J.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I’m with Matt…”After getting a cordless electric filet knife I’m sold. I’d go that route before the skinzit. Fast and doesn’t seem to be very mistake prone”

I have the Rapala Cordless fillet knife and use it all the time. Fast and effective and runs a long time on one charge.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

All it does is skin the filet. Taking the filet off the fish is the hardest part.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>The SCRATCHER wrote:</div>

Probably the Townsend Fish Skinner. I have my grandpas old one, works pretty slick.

It does…

Attachments:
    1. skinner.jpg

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

saw it demonstrated at cabelas seemed to work. if I remember right it wasn’t cheap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.